• Surf's Up!

Nickelodeon sets `Last Airbender' spinoff for 2011

Nickelodeon sets `Last Airbender' spinoff for 2011

LOS ANGELES A spinoff from Nickelodeon's "Avatar: The Last Airbender" is in the works.
    The channel said Wednesday the new animated TV series will premiere in 2011. It has the working title, "The Legend of Korra."
    Nickelodeon says the series will build on the "mythology" of the original "The Last Airbender" series, which inspired this summer's live-action movie from filmmaker M. Night Shyamalan (SHAH-muh-lahn).
    The "Legend of Korra" is from the creator-producers of "Avatar: The Last Airbender."
    Nickelodeon executive Brown Johnson says the new series will focus on a teenage girl avatar named Korra. Brown describes her as hotheaded, independent and "ready to take on the world."
    "Avatar: The Last Airbender" has ranked among the highest-rate series on the Nickelodeon and Nicktoons channels.
    Nickelodeon sets `Last Airbender' spinoff for 2011 - Yahoo! News

"We're not trying to entertain the critics ... I'll take my chances with the public." -
    Walt Disney

• The Study of Wumbo

Re: Nickelodeon sets `Last Airbender' spinoff for 2011

Yay! I was a big fan of the original show. I haven't seen the movie yet, to keep myself from being disappointed. Maybe this new show will redeem the franchise.

Is this meant to come before or after the original story?
    -Hale (wumbology)

a.k.a. h2mc, omnimover.mousetalgia, omnimover, wumbology, hogbackmtn, hhmcsharry, Hale M., h2m, h2mc

(I've never visited Disneyland Resort, Tokyo Disney Resort, Disneyland Resort Paris, nor Hong Kong Disneyland Resort, so don't be fooled when I pretend to know what I'm talking about. [But I'm pretty good with the information, if I do say so myself. And you can hit me all you want with Walt Disney World.])

• Just this guy......

Sounds like fun.

There is an image: legend_of_korra

• 10 Year Annual Passholder

Quote Originally Posted by wumbology View Post
    Yay! I was a big fan of the original show. I haven't seen the movie yet, to keep myself from being disappointed. Maybe this new show will redeem the franchise.

Is this meant to come before or after the original story?
    After, with Aang's son training the next airbender.

^Art by me!^
    Check out my
    Flickr page for a selection of my Disneyland Resort photography (and more)! {new photos 4.6.14}
    You can purchase a selection of my photos as well as clothing and stickers designed by me at my RedBubble page.
    Visit my
    Tumblr blog for another way to view and share my photos.
    Radiator Springs Racers ride count: 14

• Surf's Up!

Its going to be weird seeing Aang as an old man.

So Korra is the next Avatar. I guess we know what that means... but at least he can always appear to her the way Avatar Roku appeared to him.

EDIT: Here's some more plot I found on PR newswire...

The Legend of Korra takes place 70 years after the events of Avatar: The Last Airbender and follows the adventures of the Avatar after Aang a passionate, rebellious, and fearless teenaged girl from the Southern Water Tribe named Korra. With three of the four elements under her belt (Earth, Water, and Fire), Korra seeks to master the final element, Air. Her quest leads her to the epicenter of the modern "Avatar" world, Republic City a metropolis that is fueled by steampunk technology. It is a virtual melting pot where benders and non-benders from all nations live and thrive. However, Korra discovers that Republic City is plagued by crime as well as a growing anti-bending revolution that threatens to rip it apart. Under the tutelage of Aang's son, Tenzin, Korra begins her airbending training while dealing with the dangers at large.

"We're not trying to entertain the critics ... I'll take my chances with the public." -
    Walt Disney

• The Study of Wumbo

Nice. I can see this being popular.
    -Hale (wumbology)

a.k.a. h2mc, omnimover.mousetalgia, omnimover, wumbology, hogbackmtn, hhmcsharry, Hale M., h2m, h2mc

(I've never visited Disneyland Resort, Tokyo Disney Resort, Disneyland Resort Paris, nor Hong Kong Disneyland Resort, so don't be fooled when I pretend to know what I'm talking about. [But I'm pretty good with the information, if I do say so myself. And you can hit me all you want with Walt Disney World.])

• Surf's Up!

I doubt they can go wrong with the TV series. They've got the right people at the helm.

And it could get rid of that bitter after taste that the movie gave.

Walt Disney

Pretty neat. I actually stopped watching Nickelodeon a while ago, but this show will bring me back for sure. The idea of Aang being, you know, will mess with my mind a bit, but I think I will get over it. Plus, I'm interested to see how the steampunk city will look, as I have never seen an environment like that in a cartoon before.

It makes me wonder if Aang's son is also the only airbender in this new show, or if Tenzin is going to be old enough to have his own kids/grandkids who are also airbenders and now the airbenders are starting to make a comeback. cause hypothetically, he could be as old as in his 60's, since Aang would have been 82.

• Surf's Up!

^Wow I'd not actaully worked that out. He could very well be a bit like Gen. Ihro rather than Sokka.

As for the resurgence of airbenders, well it has to happen somehow or else Tenzin will be "the last" again. Should be interesting to see how they explain it.

Dang, why does it have to air in '11? (which will probably be '12 for the UK) I want to know noooow!!

Walt Disney

• Disneyland Enthusiasts

Quote Originally Posted by Hathaway Browne View Post
    I doubt they can go wrong with the TV series. They've got the right people at the helm.

And it could get rid of that bitter after taste that the movie gave.
    our exact thoughts! - Shyamalan shouldn't be allowed to direct traffic after that.

excited for Korra! though its kinda sad to think that Aang only lived to be 70ish (since he was already 12 and Korra is a teenager).
    http://findingmickey.com
    the hidden mickeys and details of disneyland resort