Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• "I Break Things"

Is Survivor suffering at the ratings?

I had heard on the radio, in stunned silent disbelief, that Jimmy Johnson would be on Survivor. Opening night was last night. Tink LOVES Survivor. So we tuned in, mainly to see how long it took for someone to complain about how hard it is and how cold they are... Thank you Jimmy for not disappointing me and being the first one to mention how hard it is and how cold it was...

They also introduced this new power medallion that looked like a bad 99c store costume accessory. I guess the "power" is that it gives you an advantage at the challenge if you use it. But once used it is handed to the other team who have a choice to use it next time around. I'm guess this is meant to be an equalizer, hopefully preventing the lopsided competition results of seasons past...

So I have to ask... what prompted the decision to put Jimmy on there? Is Survivor hurting that badly for ratings? Do they really need celebrities to get people to watch these days? I probably won't watch the entire season. I generally get bored about 3 or 4 shows in when the incessant whining won't stop. As I have said before... you signed up... quit whining and enjoy it because a lot of other people would love to be in your shoes.
    "Happiness is a Low Water Level"

"Creating magical memories and making Managers cry since 1955!"

• I see mouse people

Blog Entries

Re: Is Survivor suffering at the ratings?

I guess it paid off...at least this week:

Ratings: 'Survivor' Premiere Spikes 8% | TheWrap.com
    • Featuring contestants such as a slimed-down former Dallas Cowboys coach Jimmy Johnson (pictured), the one-hour premiere of "Survivor: Nicaragua" won the 8 o'clock hour, averaging 12 million viewers and a 3.9 rating/13 share among adults 18-49.

I absolutely despise 'reality' tv (sorry, Tink!)but I'd assume they have to do some stunt casting and add surprises to keep people watching. That's the case even in fully-scripted tv.

I think the story here is that it was all Jimmy's idea. He is an increadible survivor enthousiest and he tried to apply a few years back but his fitness was an issue. From the survivor point of view it wasn't a cheap promotion who they seeked out, but they quite happily accepted to have him on. Although i do think his airtime was slightly disproportional to the rest, which i think implys that they want to make the most of it while he is still around.

• Pilot EdForceOne

Quote Originally Posted by AlastairW View Post
    He is an increadible survivor enthousiest and he tried to apply a few years back but his fitness was an issue. From the survivor point of view it wasn't a cheap promotion who they seeked out, but they quite happily accepted to have him on
    ^^This

Don't make it out to be more then it is techskip... it's as if you never stopped from the last survivor thread. Same harping.

What I hate is by renaming the show every time the DVR never catches it and I missed last nights show.. grr
    Check out my blog - Coreplex: Rambling from inside the Grid

Am I evil? yes, I am
    Am I evil? I am man, yes, I am

Quote Originally Posted by sleepyjeff View Post
    Disneyland was meant to be sipped not chug-a-lugged

• Seasick

Survivor's ratings have held up remarkably well over the years. I don't know what their motivation was for having a celebrity (though hardly a huge one) compete, but they're not anywhere near the point where they have to be scrambling with stunts and gimmicks to draw an audience.
    My Micechat cruise trip report, Part 1:http://micechat.com/14795-disney-wonder/

• Cars Land Rocks!

I'm a huge reality fan, but I don't think I've watched an entire season of Survivor since Amazing Race came on the air. I find Race a much better show. When I watch Survivor it just seems like the same thing over and over. All the islands look alike, the competitions are similar.

Race has the advantage of various locations during the season, and a faster paced show. Big Brother has the advantage of being the only real-time reality show with a 24 hour live feed. There is not much that makes one Survivor different from the others, though they keep trying by starting seasons with the various themed battles. Often I watch the first episode, maybe catch one in the middle, and the finale.

Different shows for different tastes i guess. I personally enjoy survivor more than race as the contestant dynamics are rather different each time and it is less about the easy gimmic that is revealed in the first episode, but how differently the show plays out each time. However in the amazing race, there is minimal developing story throughout a season and most of the competitor types you can easily predict long before the cast is announced.

Also the repetition between episodes, yes the challenges are different and in different places but after a season you realise that you have seen it all before. There is only so many times you can watch two taxis appearing to be 1 minute appart (which are half an hour separated) for the effect of suspense before you are sick of it.

I am not having a go at the amazing race, and i do respect that many people do enjoy it but i am just explaining the reasons as to why i personally much prefer survivor.

• "I Break Things"

Quote Originally Posted by flynnibus View Post
    ^^This

Don't make it out to be more then it is techskip... it's as if you never stopped from the last survivor thread. Same harping.

What I hate is by renaming the show every time the DVR never catches it and I missed last nights show.. grr
    I realize they have had minor celebrities on there before (they even mentioned the quarterback a few years ago)... but Jimmy is a decently known celebrity among both young and old. Oddly enough I wasn't harping... my prediction of someone complaining by the next morning came to pass yet again! I have no doubt that within the next 3 episodes someone will break down crying about how hard it is, how cold they are, how hungry they are... never fails. People sign up thinking this will be easy, never bother to take a single survival course, then cry about the miserable position they inevitably charted a course for.

What DID make me smile was that the "old" tribe made fire on their own... without flint... FINALLY a tribe was smart enough to use what they had (in this case glasses). How long has it been since a tribe wasn't handed flint? How long has it been since a tribe has been forced to use basic survival skills like making fire on their own? I don't say this idly while sitting munching potato chips on a couch dreaming of far off lands. I've taken, and in one case taught, the survival courses I speak of. I know how to take care of myself out in the wild and I despise the constant whining some contestants exhibit about how "hard" it is... suck it up... they chose to be there.

I guess I wasn't the only one who realized how one sided a lot of the challenges have become... where one team beats the crap out of the other whittling them down to the few members before a merge. Jeff explained that is what this medallion is all about. It "evens" the odds by giving a team an advantage before being handed to the other side. What will be interesting is how teams use this to their advantage... likely a stronger team will simply hold on to it to keep it from the weaker opponent.

Overall I'm not impressed, and my comments from the past seasons still ring true. Russell was the main thing to change the game in recent years, maybe now the idols won't be so easy to find! I may watch a few episodes but how many times can you really watch people put together puzzles that are either their team name or "Survivor" logos? How many times can you watch people wrestle in mud, or climb over similar looking obstacle courses? How many times can you watch someone throw spears, or catapults, or sling shots etc to break tiles? For crying out loud how many times do we have to watch people hold their arm up to avoid a bucket of water should they move an inch? Survivor is no better then Amazing Race. At some point every show repeats itself, and all you are left with is a bunch of interesting contestants whining about how hard it is to be on their own.
    Last edited by techskip; 09-16-2010 at 07:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by techskip View Post
    How long has it been since a tribe wasn't handed flint? How long has it been since a tribe has been forced to use basic survival skills like making fire on their own? I don't say this idly while sitting munching potato chips on a couch dreaming of far off lands. I've taken, and in one case taught, the survival courses I speak of. I know how to take care of myself out in the wild and I despise the constant whining some contestants exhibit about how "hard" it is... suck it up... they chose to be there.
    haha well for as long as i remember only one tribe has ever recieved flint on the first day, usually the winner of the first challenge, or in this case the "medallion of lame" (usually the there is one challenge in ep 1 for flint and immunity). And in S20 HvV, the villains who didn't win flint managed to make fire for themsleves :P

• "I Break Things"

Quote Originally Posted by AlastairW View Post
    haha well for as long as i remember only one tribe has ever recieved flint on the first day, usually the winner of the first challenge, or in this case the "medallion of lame" (usually the there is one challenge in ep 1 for flint and immunity). And in S20 HvV, the villains who didn't win flint managed to make fire for themsleves :P
    HvV is a bit different... it's like AllStars... you'd hope people coming BACK to the island would know how to make fire etc. But how many teams have made fire WITHOUT the flint since they started handing it out?

• phbbbbbt

Once again, lol, I'm gonna point everyone to Jeffy's blog. According to Probst, Jimmy tried out three times for the show, but failed the physical the first two times. He also talks about the challenge, & how the players put the gutters together in a completely different way than expected, which really changed the challenge.

Jeff Probst blogs the 'Survivor: Nicaragua' premiere | EW.com

Ftr, the only epi I intentionally missed was the very first show. I heard Kevin & Bean & their crew raving about it the next morning, figured I should check it out. I've missed an epi here & there, due to emergencies, vacation, vcr fail, but I will watch this show until it goes off the air. I also love Race, but can't stand Big Stupid Brother, as it's called in my house, lol...
    xo, Deanna

•   
    • Sponge & A Rusty Spanner

Quote Originally Posted by flynnibus View Post
    I hate that too. Aside from that, I love the show. The first Tribal Council of this one was an instant classic.
    Fight On! Beat the Bulldogs!

Tom Chaney Memorial Debate Lounge Quote of the Week:

Speaking of "drive-by" my cousin just became the new drummer for -Train-
    This device kills fascists.

• phbbbbbt

Quote Originally Posted by steamboatpete View Post
    The first Tribal Council of this one was an instant classic.
    And the second too! Shannon seemed so normal in camp, a bit intense and controlling, but holy cow, if he didn't bring the crazy to tribal!

• Pilot EdForceOne

Shannon pretty much sealed the deal on himself.. with all the gay hating.. no one was gonna let him stick around after that. Pretty much the biggest foot in mouth scene I've ever seen on the show.
    Check out my blog - Coreplex: Rambling from inside the Grid

Am I evil? yes, I am
    Am I evil? I am man, yes, I am

Disneyland was meant to be sipped not chug-a-lugged

• "I Break Things"

It's amazing to watch people literally dig their own graves. You would think that at some point they would see the clues and simply shut up.

I also laughed that Jimmy was voted off so early. He was essentially a glorified cheerleader, but the point is he has the leadership experience. I think the preview said the next show is the merge... so it should get interesting.

What worries me is that if the ratings spike was purely Jimmy then they might consider an all celebrity based Survivor. It would likely be for charity, but still. If you thought some of the contestants whined about being cold, tired, and hungry just wait until you get someone like Paris Hilton on there...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast