Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

•   
    • Chicago Gal

Blog Entries

Re: The Biggest Loser - Season 10

Well election night meant a shortened Biggest Loser. Tonite the contestants trained with the US Marines, and it wasn't pretty. The numbers were not good. The Blue team won the weigh in, and the Black team sent home Anna. She handled it really well.

I will be glad when the program goes back to a full two hours next week.

• "I Break Things"

Quote Originally Posted by Barbaraann View Post
    Well election night meant a shortened Biggest Loser. Tonite the contestants trained with the US Marines, and it wasn't pretty. The numbers were not good. The Blue team won the weigh in, and the Black team sent home Anna. She handled it really well.

I will be glad when the program goes back to a full two hours next week.
    I was somewhat looking forward to this episode (I mean they've been hyping it since before the season even started)... but part of me was actually a bit pissed off.

To give a little history on my opinion... I know earlier in the year Master Chef held an episode on Camp Pen. In their case they were catering for a unit "family day" for those returning from a deployment. Family, for a lot of us, is everything... and they ran out of food. I'm sorry... do a wedding, do a company picnic... but why oh why did they do that to a returning unit? I quit watching after that.

So back to Biggest Loser. The highlights for me were seeing familiar parts of the base, and remembering "fun" times from training. I laughed when I saw an instructor holding up the low crawl net. I smiled when they had to run with a litter... and I almost cried when they had to push a HUMVEE. But through it all I kept one thing in perspective... the USMC wasn't designed to lose weight, it was designed to keep it off. When the hostess asked Bob and Jilian what they "thought" everything finally hit the fan. Both Bob and Jilian were honest... this whole episode was a hype... they predicted bad numbers and those bad numbers came rolling in. A few even gained weight, one gained FOUR POUNDS. Jilian summed it up "no sleep, different food, constant stress and constant workouts with no recovery time"... that's the USMC... we're not designed to lose weight, just to keep it off.

I'm not mad at the USMC, they hosted the event, and they did train the teams. I especially enjoyed the "motivational hike" with the appropriate accompanying speech. From a character building standpoint I think those who participated learned something. I'm mad at Biggest Loser, for letting their contestants down. This episode was pure hype, it wasn't about losing weight.

For the record I served with a Marine who carried a picture in his wallet. At the age of 17 Corporal O was 5'6 and 278lbs. The first time he talked to a recruiter the guy was blunt... drop some pounds and you can join up. So he worked his tail off. It took him a year to drop to the maximum acceptable weight to be allowed to train with the Recruiter. It took him another 6 months to make the weight allowing him to officially sign up and attend Boot. Once in boot he trained even harder, and upon graduation he kept the weight off. The last time I saw him he was 178. He always pushed all of us, and always kept that picture on him to remind him of where he came from. We played hard, and that episode showed a fraction of the things we experienced. So when I watched last night, all I could do was shake my head... it was nothing more then hype.
    "Happiness is a Low Water Level"

"Creating magical memories and making Managers cry since 1955!"

• Circle of Ancients

^ Just to clarify, Jillian didn't say that the "USMC isn't about losing weight, it's about keeping it off".

She said something like "USMC isn't about losing weight, it's about modivation, working as a team, blah, blah, blah".

I also thought the episode itself was kind of meh ... but the thing I DID like about it was that it was only an hour. The show length was perfect and just showed that they don't need 2 hours every week. I have been finding myself getting bored with how much they drag it on and they don't need it.

•   
    • Chicago Gal

Blog Entries

Then again, a lot of The Biggest Loser is hype. I like the show. I find it entertaining. However, at times, I find it very annoying. There's no way that I would survive the workouts that Bob and Jillian put those contestants through. There's no way, I'd put up with the verbal abuse that goes on there either. I know that a lot of people don't watch because of the way the contestants are treated on that show.

So why do I tune in every week? Because, quite honestly we do have an epidemic in our country of obesity, and I do believe that the show does motivate a lot of people.

I got hooked the season that Danny won. I enjoyed the team of Danny and Liz. I enjoyed seeing the two of them finishing the marathon together at the end. I enjoyed seeing the transformation of the contestants that season.

My husband teases me that I should tryout for the show. Well first of all, I'm not that heavy. Secondly, I wouldn't last a week. I'd be in tears the first time Jillian or Bob told me to take my hands off the treadmill. If they yelled at me the way they yell at those contestants, I'd walk, and I'd keep walking.

So for two hour each Tuesday night I watch, because as the episodes unfold, you do start to care about these people. There is a lot of hype. A lot of game playing. I do believe however, that the show has changed a lot lives.

• "I Break Things"

just like DI's in boot or anything else... a lot of the screaming and yelling is just an act. You always see everyone pouring in sweat. The cut to someone, look away, cut back and the person is soaked through their shirt. The reality is that person could have been at it for an hour... to the show it was 5 seconds... such is the power of editing.

The whole point of this elaborate show is to break people down, train them, and build them back up. In that respect it is very similar to military training... but the difference is that the military has never trained to lose weight... just to keep it off... which is why that last episode annoyed me so much. Several friends came away thinking "the Marines failed, those people gained weight". I think Jilian summed it up best.

For anyone who has ever been a fan of Monster Garage, Jesse had a similar episode. He was given a PT Cruiser and told to put a wood chipper in it. A show that was supposed to last all week barely lasted two days. Sure it looked cool, and it blew wood chips everywhere... but from a technical standpoint it sucked. He made some off comment about an advertising exec who has never touched a wrench probably thought it would be a great idea... and that is how I felt about bringing the Marines into this one. It was unnecessary, distracting from the whole purpose of the show (to lose weight in a controlled environment) and overall just hype.

•   
    • Chicago Gal

Blog Entries

Tuesday's Biggest Loser was a real eye opener for me just how far some of these contestant's will play the game, so they remain on the ranch. Are they after the cash, or do they really think that they will fail at home.

Jesse and Aaron go home, and we see their progress immediately. They both did great. In fact, they prove just how much these people can learn from their experiences on the show.

I haven't any allegiances this season. It just isn't there.

Again, I hated seeing Bob and Jillian yelling at the two girls like they did.

• My prices are INSANE!

Crazy Larry loves ya! ......Hurry up before they lock me up!

Stop by my website
    http://www.ericedunn.com/

• Circle of Ancients

Honestly, I absolutely HATE the way these people are playing the game. The ONLY ones I can allow myself to root for at this point are Ada and Mark.
    As for the strike ... don't need to comment on Union crap.

•   
    • Chicago Gal

Blog Entries

So tonites episode they pulled out all the emotional ammunition they could to get the audience to finally care about these people. I guess that's the way I analyze it. Ada, is a strong contestant, and I think at this point she's a popular choice for the Final Four, and definitely to win it all. Brendon has contempt for Lisa. You can see it everytime they weigh in. If Lisa falls below the yellow line again, she will be the next one to go home for sure. I won't be surprised if there's a red line coming up. Makeover week is a fun one. They also announced that we will see past season winners. That should be fun. I don't have a favorite at this point. I am not surprised that Jessica was the one to go home this week. She handled the elimination well.

• Circle of Ancients

Anybody else think it's odd, or interesting that most of the contestants seem to be doing WAY better at home than they are on the ranch? I mean, even the one chick (forget her name) that came into the game after being at home a month did worse on the ranch than she was doing at home.

I didn't see any kind of change in Jessica while she was on the ranch, but once she got home you could see it. I get that they've been at home longer than they were on the ranch, but to me it looks like we've seen WAY more dramatic changes by this point in the season. I mean, look at Danny a few years ago. By makeover week you could really see it.

• no flash photography...

Quote Originally Posted by sir clinksalot View Post
    Anybody else think it's odd, or interesting that most of the contestants seem to be doing WAY better at home than they are on the ranch? I mean, even the one chick (forget her name) that came into the game after being at home a month did worse on the ranch than she was doing at home.

I didn't see any kind of change in Jessica while she was on the ranch, but once she got home you could see it. I get that they've been at home longer than they were on the ranch, but to me it looks like we've seen WAY more dramatic changes by this point in the season. I mean, look at Danny a few years ago. By makeover week you could really see it.
    I don't watch the show. I have seen couple of episodes in the past, but people under stress often have trouble losing weight. I imagine being ona realty/game sow to lose weight and having to worry about weigh ins would add a certain level of stress one would not experience at home.

•   
    • Chicago Gal

Blog Entries

Well makeover week was a lot of fun, and everyone looked really good.

Just when Lisa decides that she really wanted to be there, she loses no weight at all, falls below the yellow line, and is voted off.

I am especially intrigued by the previews from next week. The "game players", Frado, Patrick and Brendon. What are the previews hinting at.

Ada has gained my respect, and I am now rooting for her to win this thing. She has no family support, and I'd love to see her reach her goals by remaining on the ranch as long as possible.

• "I Break Things"

Quote Originally Posted by sir clinksalot View Post

I think that part of it is the contestants seem to be bigger each year. In years past by the time people got to makeover week they looked like a shadow of their former selves... this time it looked more like a "plus size model" fashion show. Sure they "lost" but the loss wasn't as noticable because of how big they were when they started.

•   
    • Chicago Gal

Blog Entries

The Final Four.

Frado
    Patrick
    Anna
    Elizabeth.

I haven't been watching this program for too many seasons. I can honestly say that in Season 8, I really liked a lot of the contestants. Same with Season 9. This time, I am watching, but I really have no clue who I'd like to see win it all. It will be interesting to see who wins the at home prize at the Finale.

In the meantime, it will be really interesting to see how well these 2 girls do at home. The men seem determined to be the Final 2. Not crying over Brandon's exit tonite. Not shocked that Mark went home. Patrick's vote did not surprise me at all. Next week should be very interesting.

•   
    • Chicago Gal

Blog Entries

It played out pretty much like I expected. The men are automatic finalists, and the women are asking us to vote for them. My vote goes to Ada.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast