Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Re: Michael Eisner on The View-in about ten minutes!

Quote Originally Posted by merlinjones View Post
    Hilarious read. But I wonder what his thoughts on Walt and Roy were as a partnership. Seeing as they were quite successful and created the company he took over.

• Support MC - Go GOLD!

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainEO,ATIS View Post
    Oh, never mind. I wanted to see if he would admit to trying to ruin Disneyland.
    Pressler and Harris had their hand in the jar too.
    Quote by Al:
    To that end I'd like the Internet community to join me in reminding the Disney company that "it all started with Walt." As you can see below we've created some T-shirts, plus a few simple graphics that you can copy and paste into your websites to let folks know how you feel.
    -Al Lutz

• Hooterville, USA

Quote Originally Posted by DLFreak71 View Post
    They were a good comedy team, right up there with Rowan and Martin.

This has been a Filmways presentation dahling.

• Minion

In the chapter about Frank Wells, He seems more than candid, perhaps wistful on his experience with him.

In the years following Frank's death, Disney continued to grow, most significantly through our acquisition of Capital Cities and ABC and ESPN. But it was never the same without Frank, and I was never able to find another partner quite like him. Frank Wells and I had ten great years together. I had smoothed the way for him to be successful, just as he had smoothed the way for me. We strategized about how to keep our executives happy and our critics at bay. The years I worked with him were markedly different from the years I did not have Frank Wells as a partner. I'll never be as good politically inside a company or as effective at handling a sensitive personnel situation as Frank Wells and I were together. Frank was a better corporate politician than I am. He handled Stanley Gold and Roy Disney the way the great Venezuelan conductor Gustavo Dudamel handles the Los Angeles Philharmonic. Alone, when Frank was not my partner, I stumbled politically. But when we were together, we kept the ship sailing even in rough waters.
    And what about this excerpt... not at all delusional.

I was relatively conservative when my butt was in the line, while Frank was much more of the "Let's swing for the bleachers" type of guy. He was off the wall compared to me (even though, as I said earlier, nobody believed that).
    I might buy the book, or maybe I should wait for his book that more exclusively talks about disney.

Sounds refreshingly honest to me.

• Angel Fan MC Man

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Druggas View Post
    They were a good comedy team, right up there with Rowan and Martin.
    So what's new with the much-anticipated "Laugh-In" themed third gate??
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

• Blew By You

Does Eisner mention ever visiting his DCA?

Sooo I know Eisner is extremely disliked around the Disney fan community, and from the reasons I've heard that opinion is rightfully so.. But I actually think he seems like an extremely personable, nice man.
    Next DL trip is in 2 WEEKS!!!!!

• =)

That's part of the problem whenever anyone becomes a public figure of any sort. They become an idea, a character. In the case of people who become very visible at Disney, it becomes very easy to either hate them for their mistakes or idolize them for their successes. I suspect that most of the people who are on the receiving end of these extraordinarily strong emotions are reasonably nice, normal, moderately flawed folks who don't deserve to be hated or idolized.

I've never met Michael Eisner, and I certainly think he played a significant role in many mistakes Disney has made over the years, but it's pretty difficult to read such a plain, open, candid, non-egotistical excerpt and then demonize the man just for doing things differently than I would have.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Prince Ali

Quote Originally Posted by nonob88 View Post
    just posted on the Destination D Live Coverage:

..And Indy a couple years later. At least we have this to thank him for.

DL hasn't exactly gotten that same amount of attention since then!

Not really. They did ask him about his time at CEO, that's when he explained the things he missed and didn't miss.

Yeah, I thought it was REAL interesting that the Disney Company, specifically Ron Miller and Tony Baxter were already forging a good relationship with George Lucas BEFORE Wells and Eisner came into the picture!!! That was even more a revelation to me! (I had already heard Eisner talking about getting his kids input, previously) Previously, I had mistakenly given Eisner credit for bringing George Lucas to Disney, when in fact Ron and Tony began the relationship.

Lol at Wiggins, about the food spewing! hhahahahhaahha.

After hearing just a little bit about this book, I have to give Wells even MORE credit for Disney's successes during his time there, and even LESS credit to Eisner. And Eisner was pretty low in my opinion before!

Like it or not Eisner played a big role in saving the company, had it not been for him we might be mourning the loss of Disneyland.
    Matthew

I think some of you need to reexamine Eisner. Though the park fell into disrepair in the late 90's, and DCA sucked, think of everything he did before then. And don't forget that by the 50th, things were much better, and he was still in charge.

Compare that to Iger. We have biannual promotions that make no sense, the park is infested with Pixar attractions that are mediocre at best, and changes to classics like IASW have proven that nothing is sacred. At least Eisner gave a damn about the park, something I find less hard to believe with Iger.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Prince Ali

Eisner burned every single bridge that the Wells/eisner set up, during Wells time at Disney. DL was deteriorating so bad, and upkeep was so bad when Pressler and Eisner were in charge, that the monorail track was literally falling apart in DCA, and part of the tiki room area had collapsed. Space Mountain had literally been closed on spot, due to structural issues, forcing emergency repairs, not to mention the death due to the Columbia incident, and the Big Thunder Death. All the facades of the Main Street Buildings were also in severe state of deterioration, and were also forced and rushed to be repaired, before the 50th. Eisner was so stingy with the Fireworks show for the 50th, but Entertainment was able to divert additional funds in order to get the 50th fireworks show produced, and the show was a critical success from Day one, no thanks to Eisner who did not approve the funding for the show. Of course, there were all the major project fiascos, including Pooh replacing the country bears, the Light Magic mess, the failure of TL '98, and the failure of DCA. Eisner was forced to getting a budget approved so that some things. Not to mention how Roy Disney was forced off the board of directors by Eisner, and how Roy Disney was then able to speak up about the mismanagement of the Eisner regime, and Roy lead the sharehold revolt against Eisner. It was truely one of the biggest, shareholder revolts in the History of Wall Street. I fear what the first decade would have been like, with Eisner, if Wells hadn't been around. The mess that Eisner created during his 2nd decade proved how important and critical Wells tenure at Disney was. Even though Wells didn't stand in the spotight, he and Roy Disney were truely the ones responsible for Disney's success. Eisner was resposible for the rubble. Just take a look at some of the comments made recently, it was Wells that was the dreamer. Eisner just insisted on being in the spotlight.

As for Iger, Rasulo, Staggs, running a few misplaced promos is NOTHING comparred to the Chaos created by Eisner and Pressler.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Aladdin View Post
    Eisner burned every single bridge that the Wells/eisner set up, during Wells time at Disney. DL was deteriorating so bad, and upkeep was so bad when Pressler and Eisner were in charge, that the monorail track was literally falling apart in DCA, and part of the tiki room area had collapsed. Space Mountain had literally been closed on spot, due to structural issues, forcing emergency repairs, not to mention the death due to the Columbia incident, and the Big Thunder Death. All the facades of the Main Street Buildings were also in severe state of deterioration, and were also forced and rushed to be repaired, before the 50th. Eisner was so stingy with the Fireworks show for the 50th, but Entertainment was able to divert additional funds in order to get the 50th fireworks show produced, and the show was a critical success from Day one, no thanks to Eisner who did not approve the funding for the show. Of course, there were all the major project fiascos, including Pooh replacing the country bears, the Light Magic mess, the failure of TL '98, and the failure of DCA. Eisner was forced to getting a budget approved so that some things. Not to mention how Roy Disney was forced off the board of directors by Eisner, and how Roy Disney was then able to speak up about the mismanagement of the Eisner regime, and Roy lead the sharehold revolt against Eisner. It was truely one of the biggest, shareholder revolts in the History of Wall Street. I fear what the first decade would have been like, with Eisner, if Wells hadn't been around. The mess that Eisner created during his 2nd decade proved how important and critical Wells tenure at Disney was. Even though Wells didn't stand in the spotight, he and Roy Disney were truely the ones responsible for Disney's success. Eisner was resposible for the rubble. Just take a look at some of the comments made recently, it was Wells that was the dreamer. Eisner just insisted on being in the spotlight.

As for Iger, Rasulo, Staggs, running a few misplaced promos is NOTHING comparred to the Chaos created by Eisner and Pressler.
    Very well said

I believe that Eisner was a great business man and his work helped to expand the Disney brand and its business partnerships however I do think giving him credit for approving someone elses ideas as him adding to the park is a bit of an over statement as all he really did was say yes to a budget! Where Eisner was successful was also where he made his downfall. He was so interested in expanding the company he forgot too keep up the things that made the company successful in the first place! imo

• X-S TECH Demonstrator

Quote Originally Posted by DLFreak71 View Post
    Oh yeah, I forgot about them, even though they had bigger parts in it then Eisner.

Quote Originally Posted by williamtheking View Post
    CaptainEO,ATIS: Have you ever heard that rumor that Elvis is alive, and well, and owns a bakery in Seattle? Yeah, that's total crap. Now if you where to tell me Michael Jackson was alive, and well, and owns a MiceChat account in Las Vegas, that I would believe!

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by wettham1783 View Post
    Like it or not Eisner played a big role in saving the company, had it not been for him we might be mourning the loss of Disneyland.
    This.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast