Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

• Senior Minion

Re: Disney Channel losing touch with its roots

I agree that if you're an adult or are interested in classic Disney, there's nothing on the Disney Channel for you.

But in dumping its adult and nostalgia programs it didn't lose touch with its roots. When you consider the backgrounds and sensibilities of Eisner and Iger, both of whom are ex-network TV executives trained at programming for kid demographics (Eisner cut his teeth as head of ABC Children's TV), the Disney Channel has found its roots and come home to papa. It's no coincidence that Bob Iger replaced Walt Disney Studios chairman Dick Cook (whose first job was at Disneyland on attractions such as the Monorail and Railroad Trains) with Disney Channel president Rich Ross (whose first job was at Nickelodeon on shows such as Clarissa Explains It All and Hey Dude). It's no coincidence that the same Bob Iger gave notes on the pre-opening World of Color show at DCA to age it down, insisting it contained too much material aimed at the Disney nostalgia crowd. And it's no coincidence that Disneyland attractions like the Submarines are increasingly aimed at kids, and that big-budget projects like Carsland are the result of the booming sales of Cars toys to the boy demographic.

Disney Channel or Disneyland, these kid-TV-trained guys are just doing what they know how to do best -- selling kid & tween branded entertainment to the kid & tween market.
    Last edited by Mr Wiggins; 03-20-2012 at 11:28 AM.
    "With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

• Pilot EdForceOne

If they can start 2 other Disney Channel offshoots.. they should have started another adult oriented Disney Channel offshoot. Or at least least ABC Family show a lot more Disney specific content.
    Check out my blog - Coreplex: Rambling from inside the Grid

Am I evil? yes, I am
    Am I evil? I am man, yes, I am

Quote Originally Posted by sleepyjeff View Post
    Disneyland was meant to be sipped not chug-a-lugged

Quote Originally Posted by flynnibus View Post
    If they can start 2 other Disney Channel offshoots.. they should have started another adult oriented Disney Channel offshoot. Or at least least ABC Family show a lot more Disney specific content.

I've always advocated for a "Vault Disney" channel since this drift to Tweenieville in the late 90s. "Vault Disney" would be reruns of old Disney TV programming, animated shorts... and new home for the Wonderful World of Disney. A place that would cater to older audiences that want to relive their childhood memories or share them with their children.

Yancy

Quote Originally Posted by flynnibus View Post
    But you don't really see Andy Griffin, Leave it to Beaver, I love lucy, etc in popular syndication anymore either..
    Not true, I love Lucy frequently plays on Hallmark. Andy Griffen is locally syndicated in my area and Leave it to Beaver was, I am not sure if it still is. The issue with Disney Channel, is they run standards that are simular to ABC, but with less shows and less willing to cancel after one season). However, Disney Channel doesn't really syndicate their shows except when they appear on ABC. I feel Disney Channel just liked to chug out franchises for 5 years and get rid of it(and yes, Phineas and Ferb will likely follow suit, no matter how funny, they will be they will be likely pushed aside in 3 years) I do think the show is interesting though.

• Rock Star Minion

I wrote it once, so I'll write it again: if you're not watching Phineas and Ferb, your life is being lived at a less than optimal level.

Skeptic: "Aren't you a little old to be watching 'Phineas and Ferb'?"
    Me: "Yes. Yes I am."
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12