Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Re: Madonna: Tight Performance At Equally Tight Super Bowl Game

A lot of what dougeebear says is the way I feel. I'll always love Madonna, mostly for what she did in her formative years, but also how she's morphed. I felt the performance was a little TOO clean cut for her standards, which made it seem awkward, but I understand she has young children now and the audience was not necessarily her usual fans, so that's fine.

The lip synching had to happen - no 53 year old could perform that live while moving around that much, so I have no problem with that. The recorded tracks were obviously new, not originals from 1990-whatever, and they sounded really great.

I'm very curious if GaGa will be able to pull off something like that at 53.

That said, I just re-watched MJ's 1993 performance. Wow.
    Please consider the environment before printing useless emails

• All-American

Sorry, still doesn't beat Springsteen's 2009 performance for me.

Born to Run, a gospel choir, and so... much... pyro...

• Iron-Clad Allie

Quote Originally Posted by sir clinksalot View Post
    I love how people are saying the MIA thing is indecent when you had people grinding on the ground right behind her wearing almost nothing.

For the record, I didn't find either one indecent.
    That was decent of you to say.

Quote Originally Posted by dougeebear View Post
    I guess I'm going to have to be one of the few dissenters here. I found the entire performance reductive at best.

I'm a Madonna fan. I'm also a Gaga fan. (what can I say? I'm gay). I find it dishonest for Madonna fans to accuse Gaga of theft when Madonna is the queen in that respect. She has spent her entire career stealing... erm paying homage to the work of others. Hello, Material Girl = Marilyn Monroe/Diamonds are a Girl's Best Friend? And the Super Bowl entrance was a complete lift of Elizabeth Taylor's entrance into Rome in Cleopatra, to the point that Madonna was going to wear some of laLiz's personal jewelry! What's the Madonna/Liz connection? none.

I also take issue with the choreography. Yep, Madonna's a very fit 50+ woman. But the arms and legs akimbo choreography just made her look knock-kneed and awkward.

Speaking as a costumer and someone who works in theater, I thought the outfits were atrocious. Come to find out they were designed by a fashion designer, someone who makes individual looks into a "collection" rather than a costumer who looks at the stage picture as a whole. If she's Egyptian, why the Roman gladiator skirt? The DJ's looked ridiculous in their fuzzy sweaters, and the wire walker in white (with his fro) looked like Seth Rogan playing Cupid. But for me, the biggest mistake was the entire chorus of penguins surrounding CeeLo and Madge for Like A Prayer. All they needed was a voiceover from Morgan Freeman to re-enact March of the Penguins.

Was it entertaining? Yes. Was it her best work ever? Certainly not. Should she fire the costume designer? ABSOLUTELY.
    Although I disagree overall, I am honored to have a theatrical pro critique Madonna's production here, dougeebear. Varying opinions make for a far more interesting dicussion. You sound like you would have had the creative and knowledgable experience to have made the Super Bowl show even better that it was.

---------- Post added 02-08-2012 at 12:39 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by SpectroMan View Post
    A lot of what dougeebear says is the way I feel. I'll always love Madonna, mostly for what she did in her formative years, but also how she's morphed. I felt the performance was a little TOO clean cut for her standards, which made it seem awkward, but I understand she has young children now and the audience was not necessarily her usual fans, so that's fine.

The lip synching had to happen - no 53 year old could perform that live while moving around that much, so I have no problem with that. The recorded tracks were obviously new, not originals from 1990-whatever, and they sounded really great.

I'm very curious if GaGa will be able to pull off something like that at 53.

That said, I just re-watched MJ's 1993 performance. Wow.
    The new recordings of Madonna's songs really livened up the show. I also loved the transitional sequencing, and the overlappping of elements of different songs. the artistry was complex yet tight all the way around.

I certainly hope that Lady Gaga is physically up to speed to performing as dybamic a show when she is older. I would say that the Material girl just raised another bar.

Quote Originally Posted by MarkTwain View Post

Springstean's show was high energy all the way. He rocked the nation, literally! Thnax for the vid. We are so fortunate to live in a country that has so many world-wide acclaimed, classy, super performing talents.
    Last edited by Ride Warrior; 02-08-2012 at 10:43 AM.
    To Boldly Go Where No MiceChatter Has Gone Before!

• Banned User

Madonnas NFL Satanic Ritual Disguised In The Half Time show.

I like Madonna and I thought the halftime show was good, but then when I saw this article, I was shocked. It's amazing how it all played out right before our eyes. The styling was odd. Commentators couldn't tell if it was Egyptian or Roman. It was very unusual. Check out the link.

Before It's News

• Iron-Clad Allie

Quote Originally Posted by grrandram View Post
    Madonnas NFL Satanic Ritual Disguised In The Half Time show.

I like Madonna and I thought the halftime show was good, but then when I saw this article, I was shocked. It's amazing how it all played out right before our eyes. The styling was odd. Commentators couldn't tell if it was Egyptian or Roman. It was very unusual. Check out the link.

Before It's News
    Interesting article. However, it is easy for one (such as those that produced the article) to apply symbolism to practically anything in order to make vertually any point desired. I believe Madonna was striving to deliver a unique presentation/performance that would impact people toward the positive, and likely the spiritual, in a way that predictable costumes, sets and lyrics could not have accomplished.

Like it was said earlier in the thread, she is a mother now, and is likely taking families more importantly. I am tired of the "World Peace" message though. There is no peace in the absence of freedom, independence and the opportunity to prosper.

For once, I'd like to see influencial people promote "WORLD FREEDOM".
    Last edited by Ride Warrior; 02-10-2012 at 09:24 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by MarkTwain View Post

The Springstein performance highlights my two biggest complaints about the Madonna per formance.

1) Lack of pyro.
    I have heard that the stadium does not have the proper ventilation to accommodate indoor pyrotechnics, but it still would have been cool. Whether the stadium is covered or not, it still feels outdoors when watching it on TV. And at this point, most audiences have become accustomed to seeing fireworks with blockbuster outdoor performances.

2) Lack of fans on the field.
    I felt that Madonna's performance really lacked energy, and after thinking about it, I realized that it is because she didn't have any fans on the field alongside the stage. The performance itself had the capacity to be highly energetic, but the lack of bodies in the foreground and background really threw the show off for me.

On the whole, I LOVED Madonna's performance. Those are just my two nitpick-y little comments about how it could have been that much better.

• Iron-Clad Allie

Quote Originally Posted by henryt93 View Post
    The Springstein performance highlights my two biggest complaints about the Madonna per formance.

1) Lack of pyro.
    I have heard that the stadium does not have the proper ventilation to accommodate indoor pyrotechnics, but it still would have been cool. Whether the stadium is covered or not, it still feels outdoors when watching it on TV. And at this point, most audiences have become accustomed to seeing fireworks with blockbuster outdoor performances.

2) Lack of fans on the field.
    I felt that Madonna's performance really lacked energy, and after thinking about it, I realized that it is because she didn't have any fans on the field alongside the stage. The performance itself had the capacity to be highly energetic, but the lack of bodies in the foreground and background really threw the show off for me.

On the whole, I LOVED Madonna's performance. Those are just my two nitpick-y little comments about how it could have been that much better.
    Pyrotechnics and a surrounding crowd would have made the show much more fun and energetic. Great observations, Henry. That would have created the feel of a modern day Beatles concert, crazed fans and all.
    Last edited by Ride Warrior; 02-10-2012 at 09:25 AM.

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

Madonna - Thunderpuss GHV2 Megamix (Video) - YouTube

If she wasn't tailoring her show for football fans, but for Madonna fans, I'd have loved something like this "set list" for a 12 minute megamix / retrospective.

• Iron-Clad Allie

Quote Originally Posted by CaliforniaAdventurer View Post
    Madonna - Thunderpuss GHV2 Megamix (Video) - YouTube

If she wasn't tailoring her show for football fans, but for Madonna fans, I'd have loved something like this "set list" for a 12 minute megamix / retrospective.
    Let your body move to the music! This composite is beautiful, and would be perfectly suited for a football/family audience or megamix / retrospective presentation.

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

Xxxcept the "Erotica" segment...

• Iron-Clad Allie

Quote Originally Posted by CaliforniaAdventurer View Post
    Xxxcept the "Erotica" segment...
    Love your coined word "Xxxcept". Xxxcellent point. The "Erotica" portion wouldn't exactly have grandma singing along.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123