• Vidia's Minion

Skip the commercials, we cancel shows...

Disney: Skip our commercials we cancel shows- MSN Money

I don't know about the rest of you but I don't really see commercials these days. I mostly tape what I want to watch then fast forward though the commercials. I'll maybe rewind it though if I see something that looked interesting and watch it.

Does anyone really watch commercials any more?

edit-sorry about posting this in the wrong forum. Admins please direct it to the proper one.
    Last edited by Jayce; 05-24-2012 at 10:33 AM.

• Inappropriate

Re: Skip the commercials, we cancel shows...

Commercials are a necessary evil. Something has to fund the shows you love.

Click the banner! ^^^^
    Follow us on Twitter
    @mickeymutineers and on Facebook
    Mickey Mutineer Podcast now available in the blog and on iTunes!

• Rock Star Minion

I, and other fans, could pay for them ourselves. I'll pay a dollar a week for a half-hour's worth of comedy. (that's for my whole family.) Get two million families to watch a show: Well, that's $2 million a week.
    I'd like to stop paying for shows I don't watch but that my cable company offers in the package I purchase.
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

I don't have a DVR so I watch live t.v. I used to change the channel during commercials, but the commercial breaks are so long that after the 2nd time of changing it back to see if the commercials are over and finding that they're not, I change it again and forget to come back to the channel I started watching originally. I would only see bits and pieces of three different shows and never the entire thing. Now I sit through the all the commercials and do watch a show/movie in it's entirety.

Disney is still clinging to an outdated television business model.

I watch TV shows on Netflix... to avoid commercials. Fifteen minutes of ads for an hour long so is just to much for any network or studio to expect us to sit through.

Sorry, my attention span is just not that long.

Actually the commercials are the basic part if TV shows and also a source of income for the
    TV channels owners so i don't think that the cancellation news of these commercials are
    true it's totally wrong

• "I Break Things"

these days, most shows have a substantial amount of product placement DURING the show... or they'll advertise additional network shows during the broadcast. Since the audience doesn't watch the commercial, Commercial America will simply writes it into the shows.
    "Happiness is a Low Water Level"

"Creating magical memories and making Managers cry since 1955!"

Quote Originally Posted by sailerm View Post
    Disney is still clinging to an outdated television business model.

I watch TV shows on Netflix... to avoid commercials. Fifteen minutes of ads for an hour long so is just to much for any network or studio to expect us to sit through.

Sorry, my attention span is just not that long.

The networks and studios control what Netflix can show and if they decide its not worth it, they can stop providing the material for netflix.

I've noticed over the last season or two that a couple of shows I watch have virtual car commercials written into almost every episode -- the characters are showing off some cool feature of the car: self-parking, massaging seats, etc.

Product placement isn't always done in exchange for money. Sometimes, it's just products-in-kind for the decorator.

Most television would not exist were it not for ad revenue or subscriptions.

The stuff they do in shows like Hawaii Five-O is the most lucrative type - integrated, branded entertainment. If you don't mind Chevy running deep (see what I did there?) throughout your Scott Caan tropical drama, then you'll love that type of advertising.

Embedded and pre-roll advertising is another option to force consumers to put eyes on a brand or message. The best part with these is that the consumer cannot pause, skip or otherwise manipulate the media. So, when that ad comes on ten minutes into that Bewitched episode you're watching on Hulu, you have no choice but to sit and watch it. Oh, you can pause the programming once it returns, but you're going to watch the ad.

Now, the Walking Dead Mad Men killers at Dish are at it again - bravely, stupidly - battling the entire establishment by allowing users to automatically record the entire primetime line-up of shows and then skip every ad. This service means that advertisers, who actually do know that people already skip their ads, are getting even less eyeballs on their brand and message. So what good is advertising in traditional spot buys anymore. The answer is: it isn't good at all. And it is under threat from all sides.

There are only two models available to broadcasters or netcasters to pay for their programming. Here they are: commercials or subscription fees. Two.

Commercials - can be subtle and embedded. Or they can be conventional 15 or 30-second spots. They can be product placements, they can be lower-thirds. They can take almost any form - up to and including a buy of the entire time slot with pass-through rights for reselling commercial slots to third-parties.

Subscriptions - As distribution is basically deregulated (or broken-up) by the market itself, you'll find yourself paying more and more providers for what you always had from one provider. Now you still pay DirecTV or Cox and you also pay NetFlix or Hulu for streaming content. Oh, you can get non-premium services, but then the promise of any content at any time isn't fulfilled. No, for that you need RoKu and AppleTV and Hulu+ and all the rest - and you'll pay.

The democratization of distribution is going to cost us consumers a lot of real, tangible money and you'll look back fondly on the days when you just went to the fridge during commercial breaks... and it didn't cost you a dime.