• Functional & Decorative

Huell Howser dead at 67

Kinda surprised no one's posted about this. He was an institution for tourism in California. His enthusiasm for tourist attractions, both large and small, will be missed.

Huell Howser dies at 67; TV host profiled California people and places - latimes.com
    Does anyone even bother with signatures anymore?

• Circle of Ancients

Re: Huell Howser dead at 67

So sad. Totally loved his show.

• Team Hail HYDRA

I'm very sad about his passing
    he will live in the hearts of all of us

Go visit my theme park website!!! http://kolbykonnection.com

• keh!

Very sad news indeed. I loved his show and his enthusiastic voice. I still remember the first episode of California Gold that I watched. Huell Howswer was in Yosemite, and when it came time to visiting Yosemite for my first time I would think back to that episode of CG. He will be missed.

Love his show. Sorry to hear of his passing.

• Banned User

When I learned of this news the other night (not here, on Facebook, actually), I gasped and could not believe it. As it sank in, I got really depressed, and even shed a few tears, which I never do when it comes to celebrities who pass on. But Huell Howser was different. He was just simply a really, really good guy, and he was proof that a smile, a sincerely curious spirit, and a kind word could positively impact literally MILLIONS of people. The outpouring of love in the various Facebook threads I saw about Huell's passing were remarkable, both in their massive numbers, and in the level of love and respect people had for the man (I never saw one unkind word said about him). Although it was the title of his most popular show, Huell Howser was, himself, California Gold. He'll be very deeply missed.

I had just been watching a bunch of his shows that I had recorded on my dvr on Sunday, so he was fresh on my mind and the news hit me very hard when I heard it on Monday. Besides watching his shows for pretty much as long as he had been doing them, I had the chance to spend a day with him and have lunch with him when he filmed his show on Paramount Ranch, the Santa Monica Mountains National Recreation Area movie ranch park that I do volunteer work with. Huell doing a show on the park had been a long time dream of mine, so when it finally happened, I took the day off from work to go out and watch the filming. To my surprise, he interviewed me on camera briefly (some of it got cut for time), used a suggestion I had for a ranch feature to include in the program and used several of my photos from film shoots at the ranch on the show. The show turned out great and I'm humbled and honored to have been a small part of it. As always happened with his shows, interest in and attendance at the park shot up after the show aired. And, to my bemusement, I've even had people come up to me and tell me they saw me on the show!

Retrocool, what you said was spot on. My reaction when I heard the news was very similar. (I think the last celebrity death that I got so emotional over was Karen Carpenter.) Huell's contribution to documenting California people, locations and history cannot be underestimated.

• Circle of Ancients

Even though he had no affiliation with Disney (other than voicing the Backson) I think it would be cool to have some kind of Huell tribute in DCA. Not a window or anything quite so obvious, but a hidden one would be pretty cool.