Mickey Mouse in All New Animated Shorts on Disney Channel!!

So I was with my son in his bedroom where the Disney Channel is playing on his TV almost on a regular basis. My jaw dropped and I sat there gaping at the TV for a couple of minutes as a commercial aired for something that is set to air soon on The Disney Channel.....

Mickey Mouse to Star in New Cartoon Shorts with Classic Comedy, Contemporary Flair « Disney D23

Mickey Mouse is starring in a set of all new animated shorts with the animation resembling the animation of the early twenties when Mickey first debuted. It still has a contemporary flair to it all while reintroducing that classic style of animation. From what I saw of the commercial, it appears that they even will be very funny. I am very much looking forward to these.

Here's the quote from the article linked above.
    With the slapstick feel of classic Mickey Mouse, the series of cartoon shorts presents Mickey in a broad range of humorous situations that showcase his pluck and rascality, along with his long-beloved charm and good heartedness. Each cartoon short finds Mickey in a different contemporary setting including Santa Monica, New York, Paris, Beijing, Tokyo, Venice, and the Alps, facing a silly situation, a quick complication, and an escalation of physical and visual gags. The stories also feature genuine heartfelt and heroic moments as Mickey explores and experiences life with his comical partners: Minnie Mouse, Donald Duck, Daisy Duck, Goofy, and Pluto.

Check Out a Special Preview Exclusively on Disney.com ►

The executive producer and director for the new Walt Disney Television Animation project is Emmy® Award-winning artist and director Paul Rudish (Dexter’s Laboratory, The Powerpuff Girls). The shorts, geared towards kids and families, also include a few surprises from the production team for Disney fans of all ages.

Stories in the upcoming cartoon shorts include:

“Croissant de Triomphe”
    Mickey must deliver croissants to Minnie’s cafe, battling street traffic and other Parisian obstacles along the way.

“Yodelberg”
    Mickey longs to visit Minnie atop her mountaintop chalet but quickly realizes that the threat of avalanche has made the trek up the mountain more challenging than usual.

“No Service”
    Mickey and Donald try to buy lunch from a beachside snack shack but are unceremoniously turned down because of the classic “No shirt, no shoes, no service” admonition (of course, Mickey doesn’t wear a shirt and Donald doesn’t wear shoes!).
    Produced in 2D animation, the design esthetic for the Mickey Mouse cartoon shorts reaches back almost 80 years and borrows reverentially from the bold style of his 1930s design, but not before adding a few contemporary touches. Designs for other characters have a similar approach, favoring a “rubber-hose” cartoon style for more exaggerated animation. Background designs closely reflect the graphic design sense of 1950s and 1960s Disney cartoons. And for those true eagle-eyed Disney fans, the production team has also included the occasional homage to other icons from the storied Disney heritage.
    "Our greatest natural resource is the minds of our children." - Walter Elias Disney

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Starcruiser.. crash crash

Re: Mickey Mouse in All New Animated Shorts on Disney Channel!!

It's actually not animation from the 20s.... it's highly stylized and very much like cartoons from today. It IS pie-eyed Mickey though so there's that.

I do like these because they're hand drawn... but... it's so bizarre. I wish they would just bring back Mickey the way we all grew up with. Just keep it going.

Visit my mice chat toy shop!
    http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

I don't believe I said it was from the 20s, only that it resembled it. But I do agree with you a little on how it looks. When compared to say Mickey Mouse Clubhouse, it almost looks foreign with MMC being much better. (Computer animated, of course.) But it still looks interesting to me. I watched the preview at the link and I even laughed a few times.
    "Our greatest natural resource is the minds of our children." - Walter Elias Disney

The shorts are really nicely done, but in a retro styled limited animation.

Disney has posted “Croissant de Triomphe” online

Croissant de Triomphe | Mickey Mouse and Friends | Disney Video

Quote Originally Posted by AtomicBear View Post
    The shorts are really nicely done, but in a retro styled limited animation.

Disney has posted “Croissant de Triomphe” online

Croissant de Triomphe | Mickey Mouse and Friends | Disney Video
    That's the preview that was available at the link I put in the original post. Same cartoon.

• Heavy Breather

Maybe I have an excuse to watch the Disney Channel after all these years.

But I'd still have to suffer through hours upon hours of garbage before seeing the beauty of the new hand drawn Mickey Mouse shorts. Welcome back, old friend...

I'm all for new Mickey Mouse cartoons, but I think the animation style they are using for this show is rather ugly.

It looks like they are trying too hard to be hip by making it look similar to the art styles of other cartoons that are popular right now. It looks like something that would be more at home at Cartoon Network. I think it makes the classic characters look ugly and not nearly as charming as they should be. The state of Disney animation right now saddens me greatly.
    Be a Hippo Hero! Please visit www.SaveTheAnimatronicHippos.org

I only have seen part of one short, and while I am glad that Mickey is back I agree the animation direction is bizarre. Limited animation is not a place for Disney characters. If Warner Brothers was able to do full animation for a 30 minute episode of Animaniacs back in the 90's; Disney should be able to do 5 minutes of full animation for Mickey today.

I just watched the first hald of "No Service" and was about to post about it before I saw this thread...

What the he*ll is this!?!? It looks like a cheap Cartoon Network cartoon from the early 2000s. This ain't no Mickey Mouse! The animation is NOT Disney, not their style at all. And Mickey's voice isn't even that great!

Ugh... it's stuff like this, Disney getting away from it's classic form, that drives me nuts. It's like the new Tinkerbell movies... what it that all about? Tinkerbell doesn't talk! And the new style of animation just makes it look cheap to me, not endearing the way the classic hand-drawn cartoon animation full of bright color and warmth. And I'm not even into Tinkerbell!

Quote Originally Posted by coheteboy View Post
    it's so bizarre. I wish they would just bring back mickey the way we all grew up with. Just keep it going.
    seriously!