• Bangarang!

Disney's Descendants (DCOM)

The Disney Channel has announced a new DCOM due to air in 2015.

In a present day idyllic kingdom, the benevolent teenaged son of the King and Queen (Beast and Belle from Disney’s iconic Beauty and the Beast) is poised to take the throne. His first proclamation: offer a chance at redemption to the trouble-making offspring of Cruella De Vil, Maleficent, the Evil Queen and Jafar who have been imprisoned on a forbidden island with all the other villains, sidekicks, evil step-mothers and step-sisters. These villainous descendants (Carlos, Mal, Evvie and Jay, respectively) are allowed into the kingdom to attend prep school alongside the offspring of iconic Disney heroes including Fairy Godmother, Sleeping Beauty, Rapunzel and Mulan. However, the evil teens face a dilemma. Should they follow in their nefarious parents’ footsteps and help all the villains regain power or embrace their innate goodness and save the kingdom? Kenny Ortega, the Emmy Award-winning director and choreographer of Disney’s record-setting High School Musical TV movies and feature film, returns to Disney Channel to direct Descendants.
    https://d23.com/disney-channel-annou...evil-villains/

article also on:
    Disney Channel Goes Bad with Descendants Telepic | Variety

"We're not trying to entertain the critics ... I'll take my chances with the public." -
    Walt Disney

Re: Disney's Descendants (DCOM)

I really don't know if I'm happy or annoyed...

• Bangarang!

It could be good.. or really naff. I guess they might put it on at Halloween.

"We're not trying to entertain the critics ... I'll take my chances with the public." -
    Walt Disney

The concept in itself shows promise, especially if it was something being produced by Walt Disney Animation. But it's being produced by Disney Channel.

A criticism I have... The characters were never intended to interact with each other in a canonized form. Sure there's the stuff at the parks, Disney Infinity, House of Mouse, etc.

But the most we see of characters interacting at the parks is the characters at games of musical chairs or meet and greets. Even in the parades they're almost segregated with their own floats and such. Infinity runs on the premise of the characters all being toy versions of themselves. House of Mouse, I'm pretty sure, takes place in ToonTown, having all the characters being actors playing themselves in a movie and hanging out in their downtime.

But right now it seems as though, despite all their movies taking place in completely different time periods and settings, it'll just be all the characters' kids running around together in some sort of Disney Infinity-style hodgepodge setting without the toy gimmick in place.

Of course, this movie may end up pleasantly surprising me (with the character mingling aside), but if hardcore Disneyphiles like us end up hating the movie, but the general public loves it... I fear for what that might mean for the overall lore of Disney movies, or even worse... the parks.

Like I said, I may end up actually enjoying it because it's a pleasant surprise, but right now I'm not too optimistic on this.

• Future Disney Imagineer

It's too bad it sounds exactly like a rip-off of Ever After High, a Monster High spin-off with fairy tale characters' children altogether at the same high school. The disney Princesses' daughters and sons are the popular kids while the villains' kids are the outcasts (surprise surprise.)

This story arc of "changing your destiny" is a bit overused, but could be interesting if the good characters became so insistent on maintaining the status quo, that they would all become bitter to the main "antagonists" and try to bully them or provoke them into doing bad things, therefore making the good guys the bad guys and vice versa.