Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• Angel Fan MC Man

Blog Entries

I Am A Big Fan of the HBO Show "Big Love".

The current season ended just the other night, with the usual twists and turns.

I love both the acting and the writing in this very smart show. It's set in Utah, of course, but it's filmed in Santa Clarita and Fillmore (northern LA and Ventura County).

I think that it deals with a controversial way of life in a very interesting way.

I can tell you that I wouldn't have the energy to handle three wives, even if I wanted to.

Mary Kay Place (of Mary Hartman, Mary Hartman fame) is in this, as is Harry Dean Stanton (who does a great job as the "prophet" for the "evil" Juniper Creek compound.

Bill Paxson is great in the lead role too.

The executive producer? Tom Hanks.

And with a opening theme song like the Beach Boys "God Only Knows", hey...

Any thoughts?
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Arizona's own

Blog Entries

Re: I Am A Big Fan of the HBO Show "Big Love".

Barry, just another reason to love you. We just started watching 1/2 way through season 2 and got hooked. We actually went out and bought season 1 on DVD and then luckily they did the big marathon repeats of season 2. We have liked a lot of the HBO series but when this one started last year I thought 'polygamy exciting or entertaining, no friggin way' but after just one episode this season we were hooked.

• Minion

Yes!! I absolutely loved this show. This season was so amazing and the finale was insane! So many great plot twists! My only complaint is that the season is too short and we have to wait 9 months for the next season to start

• Angel Fan MC Man

Blog Entries

Do you think that Bill made a mistake in grabbing Weber Gaming away from the UEB? He said that he bought that company so that his family could be more protected. I guess it turns out his main motive was to take down the Grants.

The writing on this show is just so good IMHO.

I don't condone polygamy, but the show has prompted me to do some research about the "principle" and the LDS too even though I know the church has distanced itself for a long time.
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Arizona's own

Blog Entries

I am not sure if Weber Gaming was a mistake but I definitely think it adds a lot of spice to the story besides the whole UEB and family wars. I thought Barb's argument against was valid, as they do not believe in gambling but are providing the machines to do it and now it looks like Nicki is getting addicted to Bingo so how much further down the addiction path will this take them.

Many years ago I met some polygamists at an Emergency Management Conference in Laughlin, NV. They were from Colorado City but this was before Warren Jeffs became the prophet. I thought they were very nice people and all the guys in the class just kept saying they could barely deal with one woman telling them what to do and both of these guys had 2 wives.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Don't diss my bonnet

the location of my profile picture is Knott's in 1972, i'm about 10 months old.

i just got into this show this season and am so glad i started watching it!

the writing is smart, the acting is top notch....and it has harry dean stanton

the dynamic between the 3 sister wives is really well put together..man i just <3 this show
    Will there be screams when the sun sets,
    -=Is It October Yet?=-

Quote Originally Posted by Tinkermonkey
    elly is the ultimate nerdy girl. But she makes it sexy
    Quote Originally Posted by pratt55
    Elly is adorkable.

• Angel Fan MC Man

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by elly View Post
    i just got into this show this season and am so glad i started watching it!

the writing is smart, the acting is top notch....and it has harry dean stanton

the dynamic between the 3 sister wives is really well put together..man i just <3 this show
    Couldn't agree with you more. Any other "Big Love" fans out there? Is there any room for the polygamist lifestyle (following the principle as they put it) in society?

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by Radiobarry View Post
    Do you think that Bill made a mistake in grabbing Weber Gaming away from the UEB? He said that he bought that company so that his family could be more protected. I guess it turns out his main motive was to take down the Grants.

The writing on this show is just so good IMHO.

I don't condone polygamy, but the show has prompted me to do some research about the "principle" and the LDS too even though I know the church has distanced itself for a long time.
    my take on it, he wanted to beat all the others out of it.
    I love this show, and have the other seasons in my netflix que.

• Banned User

The season coming up is going to be awsome!! I can see it now, threats killings oh man, Bill has his hands full!

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Don't diss my bonnet

the location of my profile picture is Knott's in 1972, i'm about 10 months old.

Quote Originally Posted by Radiobarry View Post
    Is there any room for the polygamist lifestyle (following the principle as they put it) in society?
    that's a tough question...from the portrayal of the polygamist lifestyle on the show...their marriages (Bill and his wives) are WAY more stable and "normal" than many of the destructive marriages i see just in my day to day life...but its still a "Hollywood" vision of the polygamist lifestyle, i'm quite willing to bet that in real life polygamist societies its not quite as "normal"...but then again...marriage isn't' quite what it used to be 30 or 40 or 50 years ago for most people (but alas i digress, and that's a subject for a whole 'nother topic!)
    Will there be screams when the sun sets,
    -=Is It October Yet?=-

Quote Originally Posted by Tinkermonkey
    elly is the ultimate nerdy girl. But she makes it sexy
    Quote Originally Posted by pratt55
    Elly is adorkable.

• Banned User

I love big love have been watching it from the beginning. I like how this year they sort of outed the characters and with the possibility of number 4 coming on... and the evil, meniacle(SP) albee. IT's gonna be a doozy. I think it's interesting how sarah is so afraid of the principle and has begun to reject her life. but giving up her virginity not a good thing at all!!!!wish the writers wouldn't have done that.
    one of the things i really like about the show is how it portrays boths sides of polygamy. You have juniper creek which is like what you hear about in the news all the time and then you have bill and barb and nicki and margie. a polygamist family but one that is happy and living a quiet life in suburbia.
    I didn't know it was filmed in CA I thought they used production facilities in utah. must say I can't wait until next season!!! and yes we need more than 12 episodes maybe next year they will do 20. like they did with the sopranos.

• That Guy

It is a good show. I think HBO does an amazing job with ALL their shows. Here are my all time favorites:

1. The Wire
    2. Deadwood
    3. Sopranos
    4. Curb your enthusiasm

• Minion

Okay, what is with Nicki and not being able to keep her mouth shut? I wanted to slap her so hard when she called her brother and told him that Bill got Weber Gaming and that Roman was going back to the compound.

• Angel Fan MC Man

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by kirbilicious View Post
    Okay, what is with Nicki and not being able to keep her mouth shut? I wanted to slap her so hard when she called her brother and told him that Bill got Weber Gaming and that Roman was going back to the compound.
    I think that she is one of the most emotionally confused characters on the show. She has tugs to be with her "family" at Juniper Creek; different and changing feelings toward both Barb and Margie being the "middle" wife; and her obvious problems with both compulsive spending and maybe even gambling. I don't recall if it was determined that she actually stole the thithes from the UEB.

I also love the feisty character of Bill's mother. I even like Bill's father sometimes although he is a real SOB.

And let's not forget that great opening theme song...

Left the church, but not the parishioners.

Ken and I absolutely love this show. We've been hooked since the very first episode.

As for polygamy, I personally don't care what happens between consenting adults. If everyone involved is happy, then that's all that matters.

I love the writing for the show. The story is always captivating and suspenseful, with a side of fun.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast