• Darkbeer

Blog Entries

I miss Cal Worthington!

Sigh, watching a rerun of the KTTV 10 O'clock news....

(And glad to see Carlos Amezcua joining the KTTV 11 news team starting next week!)

But they have run multiple Cal Worthington Ads, and there is a new "unknown" announcer instead of Cal. I know that for the last few years, he did voice overs from his home instead of coming to the dealership. Long Beach is still one of the few dealerships he owns and carries his name.

I remember watching his ads as a kid, since while I lived in San Diego, we got most of the LA Stations due to where we lived (back when you use an antenna on your roof Oh my gosh, we got about 12 stations as a kid, which was more than half than a lot of folks... Then it went to about 16 after they added the UHF channels...

I hope he just decided to retire instead of having health problems. But he is 86 now, and had a good life, and a lot of money and a few wife's...

Here is more info on him...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cal_Worthington
    Last edited by Darkbeer; 09-15-2007 at 02:12 AM. Reason: Making the Carlos Amezcua comments more clear
    Check out my Theme Park Photos at http://darkbeer.smugmug.com

• Banned User

Re: I miss Cal Worthington!

And Keith Olbermann paid tribute to him back in his ESPN days when Cal Ripken Jr. hit a go-ahead homer one night stating "If you're looking for a slider, go see Cal, go see Cal."

• Darkbeer

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by mouseinphilly View Post
    And Keith Olbermann paid tribute to him back in his ESPN days when Cal Ripken Jr. hit a go-ahead homer one night stating "If you're looking for a slider, go see Cal, go see Cal."
    Don't get me started on how Disney honored Cal Jr, but FAILED to honor Tony Gywnn back in 2001.

Tony was just as respected as Cal, and was the LOCAL boy, born in LA, and played his ENTIRE Major League career in San Diego. If there was a CALIFORNIA baseball player that deserved to be honored in his last year of play, it was TONY.

Ironic, it was Tony that became a Disney employee by becoming an ESPN announcer (along with still being the head coach of the San Diego State University Baseball team).

But it was "easier" to change the letters out front to "CAL", and heck, Disney owned the Angels back then, and it was a week that the Orioles were out playing the Angels.

But SAN DIEGO is part of California, and I presume they could have brought up Tony on a off day, he was doing a lot of promo during his (Pre)retirement year.

As you can tell, I still don't forgive Disney for that REALLY BAD backhand at a world class player.

And I am proud that BOTH of them went into the Hall of Fame this year, and watched it live! They are BOTH class players and deserving of the honor.

Too bad the marketing department at the DLR failed to realize it!!!
    Check out my Theme Park Photos at http://darkbeer.smugmug.com

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • It's knittingknurse now.

Blog Entries

Was Cal a baseball player? I just remember watching Saturday morning cartoons and he was always riding a cool animal.

• Still lost in Neverland

He used to have a dealership on Manchester Ave near the Harbor Freeway and we lived not to far away. We drove over and my dad bought a 1972 Oldsmobile 98 from him. Big gas guzzler and had power everything. It was like driving a tank but I loved that car. He was fun and it was funny to watch his commercials and all the strange animals he either rode on or stood next too. I think he started that with his dog and then went to other animals later on. We got a good deal on the car and it never gave us any problems.
    Peter Pan Forever!!! I Will Never Grow Up.

Thank You Poisonedapples

• Senior Minion

My grandparents bought a Crown Victoria from his dealership in Sacramento. I remember him riding hippos in some of his ads.
    1st Amendment-Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

• Winter in Oceanside...

"If you want a good car deal, go see Cal"

Carlos side note:
    I was shocked to see that he moved to Channel 11. I thought for sure he'd take over for Hal Fishman. I've heard that Carlos is going to the noon news, and then I heard 10 O'Clock. Which is it. I miss him in the morning - haven't warmed up to Frank yet.

• Hug a Billy

The Golden Horseshoe/Big Thunder Jamboree

Quote Originally Posted by PrincessY View Post

Carlos side note:
    I was shocked to see that he moved to Channel 11. I thought for sure he'd take over for Hal Fishman. I've heard that Carlos is going to the noon news, and then I heard 10 O'Clock. Which is it. I miss him in the morning - haven't warmed up to Frank yet.
    Here is the information on Carlos from the KTLA web site:

Veteran KTLA Anchor Switches to KTTV
    September 5, 2007, 2:36 PM PDT

Carlos Amezcua, the longtime KTLA-TV Channel 5 morning news anchor who was viewed as a potential replacement for the late Hal Fishman on the station's 10 p.m. newscast, has decided to move to rival KTTV-TV Channel 11, station officials said Tuesday.

Amezcua, who has been with KTLA for more than 16 years, had been working as the interim evening news anchor after Fishman died this summer.

"We had hoped that he would be in that position, but obviously things take turns. We've got to move forward," said Rich Goldner, interim KTLA news director.

Variety reported that Amezcua will anchor KTTV's 10 p.m. newscast beginning this fall, replacing veteran anchor John Beard.

KTLA is owned by Tribune Co., which also owns the Los Angeles Times. Copyright 2007, KTLA

Quote Originally Posted by Lost Boy View Post
    He used to have a dealership on Manchester Ave near the Harbor Freeway and we lived not to far away. We drove over and my dad bought a 1972 Oldsmobile 98 from him. Big gas guzzler and had power everything. It was like driving a tank but I loved that car. He was fun and it was funny to watch his commercials and all the strange animals he either rode on or stood next too. I think he started that with his dog and then went to other animals later on. We got a good deal on the car and it never gave us any problems.

This is the car I learned to drive in. It was also the car that was stolen under my watch. My parents had gone on a trip leaving Lost Boy and me home. I had driven to K-Mart to do some shopping and came out to find the car gone. It was recovered but had been stripped. Amazingly the items I had in the trunk were still there.

I don't live very far from the Worthington dealership in Long Beach. I hadn't realized he was no longer the "voice" on the ads.

Here is a fun link to his "My Dog Spot" commercials over the years.

http://www.mydogspot.com/

Just found another fun fact and connection to Disney.

Cal's second wife (1979-1986) was Susan Henning. She played Haley Mills stunt double on The Parent Trap 1961!

Last edited by Wendygirl; 09-15-2007 at 08:39 AM.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • It's knittingknurse now.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by PrincessY View Post

Carlos side note:
    I'm not a communist or anything but I like Frank Buckley (joke for anyone who has heard him in the 9am hour.), he is an asset to the show. Michala is funny, like Mark Kriski, but... my favorite favorite person on that show is Eric Speilman. I love him. Carlos... he was taking a lot of time off before Hal died.

• Angel Fan MC Man

Blog Entries

Just like the OP, I've seen the ads lately and noticed the new voice-over. I also hope it's not because of health issues. I know that I've been seeing him on late night TV my entire life, and I'm 51.

I suppose there's been a "Cal Worthington" type in most every city in America, but Cal is truly a pioneer and one-of-a-kind.

This really captures the essence of the "Go See Cal" that most of us remember.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=http:...?v=QOsLdT4slsk

And in answer to knittingknerd: Darkbeer was referring to Cal Ripken, Jr. in terms of the baseball player.
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.