Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Re: The 2007 Emmys-thoughts and comments?

Quote Originally Posted by Pirate Lover 68 View Post
    Wow, it's like there isn't anybody reading this thread that A) actually watches TV and B) enjoys doing so. The Sopranos was a great show, for that matter, Entourage is a lot of fun to watch. It's always funny to me that these shows come on and so many people can't wait to complain about the industry self congragulating itself or having a fun night. I mean, if you disagree with so much that's on and with the shows that actually win awards, why watch?
    I absolutely adore television. I watch over twenty hours of television a week (yes, I have that little of a life). I'm of the opinion that television currently hosts higher quality programming than the local multiplexes. I'm currently in school studying to become a television writer.

I'll readily admit that the Sopranos is not my cup of tea. However, that doesn't mean I can't recognize quality. It is good, probably great. I don't believe it is as groundbreaking as the media makes it out to be. I also don't believe the best acting nor writing this season in drama occurred on the Sopranos. So, I personally am not upset by the fact that the Sopranos only won a handful of awards.

In addition, the Emmys tend to award the same shows year after year (hello Tony Shalhoub and James Spader), so I'm happy that this year most of the major awards went to newer blood (or newer characters).

My problem with Entourage is that it is completely misogynistic and one-note and the writing has recently taken a nosedive. I will admit, though, that I am not a regular viewer so I might have simply caught lesser episodes.

As to your question regarding why I continue to watch the Emmys: I continue to watch in the misguided hope that they eventually get something right.

Edited to add: I love the Office. It's one of my favorite shows, and I can't wait until next week's season premiere.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • It's knittingknurse now.

Blog Entries

The DVDs are expensive! Dude! I am so cheap. Wait that came out wrong...

Quote Originally Posted by knittingknerd View Post
    The DVDs are expensive! Dude! I am so cheap. Wait that came out wrong...
    haha i bought the 1st and 2nd together at target,they have a pack idk if they still do this was like before summer,but it was 30 for both.

the 3rd is 30 too and they have the nifty gifty at target that comes with a dvd with a bunch of extras they also have a pack at best buy that comes with a dundie award and a mini dwight bobble head, so its not that expensive,compared to other shows dvds there like 40-60 which is redic.

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • with sprinkles, please

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by knittingknerd View Post
    I love the Office, I think John Kranski is probably the most attractive normal guy ever.
    Oh shoot, I had better run over to that other thread and add him to my list! I love him, too.
    A signature should go here.

• Man O Lantern

Quote Originally Posted by Pirate Lover 68 View Post
    Wow, it's like there isn't anybody reading this thread that A) actually watches TV and B) enjoys doing so. The Sopranos was a great show, for that matter, Entourage is a lot of fun to watch. It's always funny to me that these shows come on and so many people can't wait to complain about the industry self congragulating itself or having a fun night. I mean, if you disagree with so much that's on and with the shows that actually win awards, why watch?
    I not only watch television, I'm reading this thread. There are SO many great shows on TV these last few years. I think HBO and the other cable companies turned up the heat on the major networks who started pumping out great television. Lost, Heroes, House, Arrested Development, Grey's Anatomy, Scrubs, Desperate Housewives--all rely/relied on sharp writing and focus on storyline and plot development.

Sopranos used to be edgy and great and it started going downhill about the same time most shows do. Not their fault, viewers lose interest after a while, then they alienated many because of the finale.

Thank God for them and for shows like Sex and the City and Deadwood. I think they made TV relevant again, whether or not everyone watched.

Quote Originally Posted by sir clinksalot View Post
    I agree with The Sopranos, great show.

I've tried to watch Entourage, I just couldn't get into it. It's one of those shows (Like Scrubs, 30 Rock, My Name is Earl and Arrested Development) that really aren't funny (to me), but somehow you are somehow "cool" if you watch them.
    Scrubs and Arrested Development are two of the funniest shows of the last decade.

• Minion

Just glad to hear some love for anything on TV... it was just starting to feel like there wasn't anyone on here that liked ANYTHING about TV and at a certain point, apparently just before I posted previously, one asks, "they why bother?"

Glad more folks came out of the woodwork and glad others clarified.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by SusieP. View Post
    Oh shoot, I had better run over to that other thread and add him to my list! I love him, too.
    When he mugs for the camera. I find it funny.

I like t.v. but I think I have the t.v. likings of a 15 year old boy. Which... whatever. But I think the Emmy academy isn't really in touch with what general population is watching. I mean didn't Amazing Race win best reality show? I know no one who watches that. I watch Top Chef, think it's the best reality t.v. show on t.v. (CJ is hot! He's this tall, hot, with a giant heart, and nice guy. Plus a nice hot guy who can cook!).

• Minion

Maybe this is why I'm sticking up for the show, I DO watch Amazing Race and thought it deserved. But I am with many of you regarding some of the other awards... I was shocked that the Academy would say that the Sopranos was the top show, and yet the person that has anchored the show all these years, didn't win. Those kinds of things always suprise me.

• Winter in Oceanside...

Quote Originally Posted by stinkerbell View Post
    Thank God for them and for shows like Sex and the City and Deadwood.
    Deadwood is (was) the best show EVER! Great cast (still in love with Bullock), amazing writing, wonderful set design - and they cancel it.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Ness View Post
    I also don't believe the best acting nor writing this season in drama occurred on the Sopranos.
    I agree. Really liked the Sopranos but not everyone on this show is deserving of an Emmy.

And how could people not lose interest when they have a year and a half in between seasons!

• Circle of Ancients

I think Amazing Race deserves it. We LOVE Amazing Race and it's gotta be, without a doubt, the hardest reality show to film.

• phbbbbbt

Quote Originally Posted by sir clinksalot View Post
    I think Amazing Race deserves it. We LOVE Amazing Race and it's gotta be, without a doubt, the hardest reality show to film.
    I watch AR with my 8 year old, it has a lot to offer! We mark each pit stop on a big world map, with tape lines between them. We talk a lot about the historical places they visit, the cultures they come across, even those they just pass through. The contestants get so worn out sometimes, so catty, and it gives us a chance to talk about doing the right thing. We loved watching the hippies, they were nice to each other the entire race, and really helped show my son the value of working together.

Yep, I'm a dork.
    xo, Deanna

• Circle of Ancients

Deanna, that's an AWESOME idea. Maybe we will do that this year as well. Really helps teaching the kids geography if nothing else.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by PrincessY View Post
    I agree. Really liked the Sopranos but not everyone on this show is deserving of an Emmy.

And how could people not lose interest when they have a year and a half in between seasons!
    Why did HBO do that? I never understood that. And even with Lost right now I am like "unless it's good at the season start I am not going to watch because making me wait a year and then only having 16 episodes..." Lost last year lost (ha!) my top t.v. viewing spot because I got really frustrated with it and before last season I was in love with the show. I was rooting for it even in concept. It seems like the t.v. season is getting cut shorter and shorter.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Deanna View Post
    I watch AR with my 8 year old, it has a lot to offer! We mark each pit stop on a big world map, with tape lines between them. We talk a lot about the historical places they visit, the cultures they come across, even those they just pass through. The contestants get so worn out sometimes, so catty, and it gives us a chance to talk about doing the right thing. We loved watching the hippies, they were nice to each other the entire race, and really helped show my son the value of working together.

Yep, I'm a dork.
    That's the best kind of dork. Good for you guys and the fun educational opportunity you are creating out of watching the show. That's so cool.

• Angel Fan MC Man

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by mouseinphilly View Post
    This has gone on for the longest time, mind you. Need I remind you people that Jane Fonda ("The Hanoi Hilton Whore" as my mother called her) spoke out at the Oscars decades ago.
    And there was the infamous young Indian (excuse me - Native American) woman accepting Marlon Brando's Oscar for "The Godfather"...among other examples from that period.

And as for the show seeming like a giant promo for FOX, well - welcome to the world we baseball fans have been stuck in every October, and will be for the World Series
    again this season.

OFF TOPIC...Every other pitch it seems, it's Oh look, guess who just happens to be in the crowd tonight, and wouldn't ya know it, it's the star of FOX's new gripping, tense ....(fill in the blank)...and the annoying billboards for their shows they computer-image behind the plate on the centerfield shots...
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast