Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Where should we go next?

Blog Entries

Kid Nation! (possible Spoilers)

Did anyone else watch this?
    I only half paid attention ... my roommate and I were a little oh and ahh over the adorable kids (except those 15year olds LOL! But we liked that one who stood up and defend the council)
    I liked Jimmy but that is a lot for an 8 year old to go thorough
    i liked Mike... so brave for him to stand up against the 15 yo.
    And Sophia! Glad she go the star!
    And that kid with the one tooth. And the chubbier blonde girl.
    And huazzah for red team to beat the older kids on blue team!
    Interesting so far! Looks like it'll get better.
    Good morning, son
    In twenty years from now
    Maybe we'll both sit down and have a few beers
    And I can tell you 'bout today
    And how I picked you up and everything changed
    It was pain
    Sunny days and rain
    I knew you'd feel the same things...

Re: Kid Nation! (possible Spoilers)

I'll admit it, I watched the first episode out of rubberneck curiosity. I'm still disgusted at the sketchiness under which the show was produced. No on set tutors? 14 hour work days? Inadequate medical care? Lying to the local government about what they were up to?

Now, that that's over with, I can get back to talking about the show guilt free.

I know we're all supposed to hate Greg, and he was kind of a jerk, but he was a jerk in a normal 15 year-old way. He was given the villian's edit, but besides getting in Michaels face when Michael deserved it, and writing "Go Blue" over the entire town (which, at 15, is surprisingly tame), he really didn't do much, besides help the guy he pulled the muscle in his leg. Greg was pretty cool with that kid who ended up quitting, too.

Greg: Hey, you wanna be my new wingman?
    Kid: Who is it?
    Greg: Greg.
    Kid: No.

One word: Awesome.

Greg and Sophia seemed to have a lot of chemistry, and if that ever happens, it'll be interesting to see how much CBS can milk out of it.

Speaking of Sophia, she was all kinds of kick butt, and completely deserving of her gold star. She should unseat one of the council. I hate her mom, though, because she's the one that's been all over the news comparing the rights she waved for her kid to the rights you wave when entering Disneyland.

Michael came off at first as arrogant and smug. But as the episode wore on, it was obvious that he was just reacting poorly to everything going on around him. His and Greg's relationship will be interesting to watch as the season wears on.

The shows structure itself was very poor. I thought the whole point was to see if kids could construct a better society, not one where kids just pretend to be adults. There is too much structure, assigning jobs and dividing up groups. I think it's kind of lame. Even lamer? The challenge that came straight out of Family Double Dare ("Fill up the cup past the line with the colored water in 30 seconds or less and here's what you'll win!") and ended up being way too important to the entire game.

Overall: C+

Just a quick question for anyone paying more attention that me: Do the shop runners get to keep the money? If not, then why not mess around with the pricing? What benefit is it to them to keep that bicycle at $3?
    Last edited by Mr Ness; 09-20-2007 at 02:35 AM.

• World Traveler

I TiVoed and watched it a little delayed. The show was ok in a summer camp type of way. Maybe since it's a reality type show, they can get away with not having the tutors and stuff since the kids are not really getting paid for this as actors would get paid for a TV show or movie.

I'll probably keep watching if it doesn't get corny.

I'm glad Sophia got the gold star. I was also rooting for Michael to get it.

• Clearing my Calendar

We watched it. I've heard only vague stuff about the problems arisen from the show.

I liked Jimmy - a lot! I was really sad when he stuck his little hand up in the air to go home. I thought it was so cool how even Greg was saying, "Stay!"

I don't like the Beauty Pageant kid's (Taylor?) attitude in some instances, but in others I think she is so adorable! She's got some poignant responses and I love it.

I get a real kick out of hearing some of them talk. I'm not around kids a lot (wish I was) but it just really cracked me up when they arrived at the bunkers and the one kid was saying, "It's in disarray! It's all kinds of heinous!"

I was glad to see the red team win the challenge, but I think the council should have been better informed that the districts would be competing against each other. They kept the two oldest kids together 'cause they're friends - but if they can all mingle at will in between challenges, it would have been better to even up the strength a little bit.

What I'm looking forward to most with this show is the basic expression of good human nature. The spontaneous showing of compassion and good will is just so nice and refreshing to see! When a lot of the kids were really pulling through and really stepping up to help other kids feel better about being there (Like Laurel's comforting Jimmy, suggesting she take on a mother role for the time being.. so sweet!).

It's just going to be nice to see kids in a reality series vs back stabbing throat cutting adults, ya know?

"But every night, when it gets dark
    and the stars come out,
    I'll look up on her behalf.
    I'll look up in the sky and think of you."

• Man O Lantern

Bah, I want you all to stop watching it so it will go away! I disagree so wholeheartedly with the very concept of the show. Kids aren't old enough to know about editing and knowing that what happened in real life on the set isn't what's going to be portrayed on television and I'm sure many of them want to quit and the producers talk them into staying. And their parents!! Who are these people??

I feel like Grover in that Monster at the End of the Book. Please stop watching, please! Only pretend that's Grover.

• phbbbbbt

One port-a-potty for 40 kids? Puh-leeze. Try a full weekend of Ren Faire, with 4 for everyone plus patrons, in 105 heat and open until 9pm. Those of us who camp near them tend to wait until the contractor has been there in the morning to clean them.

My son wants to go on the show. He's 8 1/2, but a much older 8 1/2 than Jimmy on last night's show. I told him that if it's still around when he's 10, we'll talk about it. He's done Faire since he was 4 months old, helps cook, does chores...
    xo, Deanna

They're already accepting applications for season 2. They have them available online about half way down on the right on the main Kid Nation website:

http://www.cbs.com/primetime/kid_nation/

• Delawarean Girl

I only watched bits and pieces of it last night. I liked Sophia on her effort on getting that bike.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Get the Iodine!

Blog Entries

I didn't even know it started. But the description of the show always reminds me of Pleasure Island from Pinocchio.

• Banned User

Bad news for Kid Nation from the Nielsen overnight ratings.

It finished fourth in its' time slot behind the premiere of Back To You and the season debut of 'Til Death on Fox, a football themed Deal or No Deal on NBC and reruns of According to Jim on ABC.

The worse news, it was down 25% from the premiere of Jericho a year ago. I think it's time for CBS to move Survivor here. Now.

• Padawan

L.A.-- But I'd rather be on Brokeback Mountain

Quote Originally Posted by NeverNeverland View Post
    Did anyone else watch this?
    I only half paid attention ... my roommate and I were a little oh and ahh over the adorable kids (except those 15year olds LOL! But we liked that one who stood up and defend the council)
    I liked Jimmy but that is a lot for an 8 year old to go thorough
    i liked Mike... so brave for him to stand up against the 15 yo.
    And Sophia! Glad she go the star!
    And that kid with the one tooth. And the chubbier blonde girl.
    And huazzah for red team to beat the older kids on blue team!
    Interesting so far! Looks like it'll get better.
    I wanted to see it... but forgot to set my Tivo. Is it worth it? Maybe I'll catch it next week.
    --Jonathan

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Ness View Post
    "They're already accepting applications for season two."
    I, along with the rest of America, hope there isn't a Season Two.

• Circle of Ancients

Quote Originally Posted by stinkerbell View Post
    Bah, I want you all to stop watching it so it will go away! I disagree so wholeheartedly with the very concept of the show. Kids aren't old enough to know about editing and knowing that what happened in real life on the set isn't what's going to be portrayed on television and I'm sure many of them want to quit and the producers talk them into staying. And their parents!! Who are these people??

I feel like Grover in that Monster at the End of the Book. Please stop watching, please! Only pretend that's Grover.
    I'll admit I was intrigued by the commercials of the show and I had to watch just to see it for myself and not what everyone was talking about. And after viewing it, I was disturbed by this whole concept also.

I won't be watching the next show.

Quote Originally Posted by mouseinphilly View Post
    The worse news, it was down 25% from the premiere of Jericho a year ago. I think it's time for CBS to move Survivor here. Now.
    Do you think fans will send in miniature soda bottles filled with bleach to protest it's cancellation? Nah, I didn't think so either.

I'm curious though as to where your numbers came from. The fast nationals, as reported at Zap2it.com has Kid Nation in second.
    Last edited by Mr Ness; 09-20-2007 at 11:09 PM.

• All you need is LOVE

I watched it

Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast