Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast

• done

"Kitchen Nightmares"

I started watching "Hell's Kitchen" because the husband was watching it. I've seen the past couple seasons, and I usually start watching about half-way into the season. I'm not particularly keen on Gordon Ramsay's abrasive tactics, but you can see that he does really appreciate good cooking talent and expects of others the same that he expects of himself. So I decided to give this new show a try as well.

This show is like a combination of "Extreme Makeover" and "Supernanny". Ramsay goes into a different restaurant each week that is on the verge of failure and tries to help them fix it up. The first episode has him in a family-run Italian restaurant where the brother co-owner, Peter, is the major problem. It was really frustrating to watch Peter's antics, and it was really fun when Gordon gave him the needed dressing-downs, much to the amusement, appreciation and admiration of the sister co-owner and everyone else on the staff who has had to put up with Peter's shenanigans. Oftentimes, these kinds of shows are done from the restauranteur/businessman's perspectives, but knowing that Ramsay is an accomplished chef gives you a different look. When he is examining the refrigeration units and sees the rotting vegetables and other food and sees the deplorable state of the kitchen, with so many non-working or non-existent tools, you can see how appalled Ramsay is at those conditions.

It's an enjoyable hour of television, and it's being added to my schedule as well.

• Minion

Blog Entries

Re: "Kitchen Nightmares"

i watched most of it till i got kicked out of the living room lol

looks like a good show, it's going on Tivo!

• MiceChat Moderator
    • It's SisterP Time!

Blog Entries

I highly recommend that you check out the BBC version of this show. It is so much more engaging and shows what a knowledgeable chef and businessman Gordon Ramsey is. I found this American version to be so much more sensationalized and missing the heart of the British version which was to really help save failing businesses.

• Lonestar Louisianian

Quote Originally Posted by cstephens View Post
    This show is like a combination of "Extreme Makeover" and "Supernanny".
    I too made that coorelation while watching it. Especially when all it took to mend Peter of his ways was a good old "heart-to-heart" talk & walk with Ramsey.

When he is examining the refrigeration units and sees the rotting vegetables and other food and sees the deplorable state of the kitchen, with so many non-working or non-existent tools, you can see how appalled Ramsay is at those conditions.
    I can see this show getting stale (yeah, pun intended ) really fast because of this. The previews for the next episode showed the exact same thing happening in the next restuarant. If this will be all that Ramsey ever finds this will become repetitive and predictable very fast.

Still, for what it's worth, I enjoyed it and will keep watching.

• love my friends

Watched it last night.. and I really liked it.

Man that brother was a lazy BUM..

Friends for life

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by MTNGIRL View Post
    I highly recommend that you check out the BBC version of this show. It is so much more engaging and shows what a knowledgeable chef and businessman Gordon Ramsey is. I found this American version to be so much more sensationalized and missing the heart of the British version which was to really help save failing businesses.
    I couldnt agree more with you! I love the BBC versions, the only problem is I have seen them all and they keep playing the reruns. I am not sure if he is still filming them there, or if he has passed them up to film the U.S. version.

• love my friends

I have never seen the BBC version

Friends for life

• Minion

They dont edit out the curse words though, so not a family watch, but is is nice to see the "natural" version.

• Hug a Billy

The Golden Horseshoe/Big Thunder Jamboree

Quote Originally Posted by samsma View Post
    They dont edit out the curse words though, so not a family watch, but is is nice to see the "natural" version.
    I watched a little of this last night and almost every other word was "beep"
    I got tired of the yelling so gave up, turned off the TV and read a book!

• That Guy

Quote Originally Posted by MTNGIRL View Post

I could NOT agree with you more.

Once again, America has found a way to F with a great UK show. The BBC version is SO much wittier, and you get to so more about the inside aspects of the biz. I can't understand for the life of me why they just don't show the UK version on NBC. It's like The Office. People here are in love with it, I think it sucks. The BBC version is FAR superior to the NBC version.

• "Always On The Move..."

Quote Originally Posted by Max Fischer View Post
    I could NOT agree with you more.

Once again, America has found a way to F with a great UK show. The BBC version is SO much wittier, and you get to so more about the inside aspects of the biz. I can't understand for the life of me why they just don't show the UK version on NBC. It's like The Office. People here are in love with it, I think it sucks. The BBC version is FAR superior to the NBC version.
    Well said!!! The British versions are so much better...but I'll still keep watching it, just cause I'm a huge fan of Ramsey!!
    Quote Originally Posted by migo View Post
    I poop with joy!
    Best Quote...EVER!!!

Member of the Black Cat Owners Association #6

• done

Quote Originally Posted by NatdRat View Post
    I can see this show getting stale (yeah, pun intended ) really fast because of this. The previews for the next episode showed the exact same thing happening in the next restuarant. If this will be all that Ramsey ever finds this will become repetitive and predictable very fast.
    But I think part of what's interesting is each individual story and the people involved. Just like "Extreme Makeover" and "Supernanny", the problems themselves are probably going to be pretty similar, but it's the individuals that will be different.

• That Guy

Quote Originally Posted by cstephens View Post
    But I think part of what's interesting is each individual story and the people involved. Just like "Extreme Makeover" and "Supernanny", the problems themselves are probably going to be pretty similar, but it's the individuals that will be different.

True, but I find that the UK version is just more sophisticated and bright.

• "Always On The Move..."

Quote Originally Posted by Max Fischer View Post
    True, but I find that the UK version is just more sophisticated and bright.
    That's because the UK actually realizes that viewers have intelligence and can THINK!!!!!

The US censors are so busy playing PC Patrol and dumbing down programs that we get the spoon-fed Jello variety, instead of a 6 course meal!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by migo View Post
    I poop with joy!
    Best Quote...EVER!!!

Member of the Black Cat Owners Association #6

• See you there!

I haven't had a chance to watch it yet, but this episode is in the "Free on iTunes" for the last couple of days, still today.

I downloaded it and will watch it at some time.

CU@DL

Andy
    -
    What is, is... What is not, is not.

Boom!

I don't ask for much... Just a few little things!

Extra effort yields extraordinary results!

Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast