• Banned User

Who was your favorite horror movie host?

Ah, we're at Halloween as I type this as Fox Reality is doing a "Search for the New Elvira", and with all the creepy movies, do you remember any horror movie hosts from back in the day?

I remember two, and have a brief memories of a third here in Philadelphia, the first being Roland (a/k/a John Zacherley) from his days here in Philadelphia. He was so successful...his show was cancelled on WCAU-TV one year later, and moved to New York City.

Then there was Doctor Shock, who was on WPHL-TV in the late 1960's and early 1970's. He had a daughter, nicknamed "Bubbles" who was a star in her own right. However, the man who played him, died from a heart attack a few years after while the show was still on the air, and it was a shock (no pun intended) to everyone.

Finally, there's Stella (Karen Scioli), the hostess of the popular "Saturday Night Dead" on KYW-TV (which aired right after "Saturday Night Live" when the station was an NBC affiliate) from 1984 until 1990. They all had really bad horror movies on all those shows. LOL worthy to say the least, but I did write some stuff for them and had a hand in a "Christmas in July" show they did one year when programming forgot to rerun the annual Christmas show one year. I knew both her and the producer on a first named basis!

Anyway, what movie host of the macabre do you remember? Feel free to post away.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Don't diss my bonnet

the location of my profile picture is Knott's in 1972, i'm about 10 months old.

Re: Who was your favorite horror movie host?

as a kid/teen i almost always watched Family Film Festival on KTLA on sundays and then switched over to KCAL right after and watched Elvira and her delightfully cheesy horror flicks during the 1980s

While at Knott's Halloween Haunt a couple weeks ago Dustin and i met Ivonna Cadaver who apparantly is trying to be this gen's Elvira.
    Will there be screams when the sun sets,
    -=Is It October Yet?=-

Quote Originally Posted by Tinkermonkey
    elly is the ultimate nerdy girl. But she makes it sexy
    Quote Originally Posted by pratt55
    Elly is adorkable.

• She was sweet as a peach

Elvira will always be number one for me.
    But my other favorite is Creature Feature with Dr. Paul Bearer. He was based out of Tampa in the 70's and 80's. He was creepy (yet funny) and would scare me to death! I have my aunt's autographed picture of him.
    http://www.big13.net/Other%20Hosts/wtog_paul_bearer.htm

• Circle of Ancients

Quote Originally Posted by elly View Post
    as a kid/teen i almost always watched Family Film Festival on KTLA on sundays and then switched over to KCAL right after and watched Elvira and her delightfully cheesy horror flicks during the 1980s
    Elvira on the weekends on KTLA was the best thing EVER. I loved it.

Now they have stupid informercials on every weekend.