Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast

• Senior Minion

In Support of the Writers Guild of America Strike

Enjoy the films and TV you watch? Think it would be just as good if the actors had no lines to say? Think the stories would be just as entertaining without any actual story?

Think again.

The Writers Guild of America is on strike for wages that reflect the ever-changing nature of media.

The show-runners of your favourite shows (see full list at: http://wga.org/subpage_member.aspx?id=2529) are in full support of this strike, which means that in a few weeks the average TV viewer will start feeling the effects of this strike, and a few weeks after that, so will the box office.

I, for one, am in full support of the writers and their decision to strike at this time.
    Marquis d'Bod of the RCMC... always and forever

• Minion

Re: In Support of the Writers Guild of America Strike

I agree, the writers are in the right here, though I hope they don't go too far the other way.
    ďAny sequel three or higher..... around number five they get a new cast, thatís when the magic really happens": Modern Family

• Senior Minion

maybe i should restate that....i am all for the writers on strike and achieving their goals, but so far a lot of shows have been put on hold because of it, which now doesnt seem like much but further down the road could be critical.

I WANT MY SHOWS BACK!

• my two sunshines

I'm curious - I'm not saying the strike is totally wrong BUT there are NO royalties for the Internet - downloads or anything - because the Internet is not taxed, and it's still in it's infancy regarding rights, taxes, etc. that part shouldn't be a part of the strike at all - the studios do not get royalties for downloads on the internet - neither do musicians or record labels. NOW they do get advertising dollars for the ads on the sites or click throughs

As for royalties for DVD sales - well I know the actors don't get royalties for DVD sales UNLESS it's in their contracts and there are only a handful of actors that do that - for instance - Johnny Depp got a salary for Pirates, not a huge salary but got paid for it BUT he got merchandising and DVD/box office receipt percentages because he had that put in his contract - Tom Cruise does the same thing - THAT is where all the money is - can you imagine the payday that Johnny Depp is getting for merchandising???

I haven't read the rest of what the strike is for - is there a site that has a write up on what exactly they are asking for????

• Hiding in the shadows

I am in support of the strike and it will be very interesting to see how they come out of it especially in relation to the INternet because it will set a precident for other labor talks. That being said, for now anyway the only show that will impact me is Bill Maher on HBO...and that will be very much missed if its reruns.

A little piece of heaven

• Rock Star Minion

The strike is only delaying the eventual writing and broadcasting of shows. Not like these story ideas will disappear and never come to fruition. If anything, the ideas will be even better without the deadlines of production cutting the creative process.

It doesn't affect my entertainment utility, as I have many other things to do instead. I'm reading an interesting book about the 1964 baseball seasons of the Yankees and Cardinals, for example.

It does affect The Daily Show's ability to make fun of political figures. I'm sure politicians everywhere are breathing easier for the next few days.

For me, it's a giant meh.
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

• MC State Comptroller

I am all in favor of the strike. The WGA should be entitled to royalties. Songwriters are. Why not TV and Movie writers?

That being said, strikes have a way of putting a bad taste in peoples mouths. I remember the MLB strike many years ago. MLB still hasn't recovered. Same with the NHL. I doubt the strike will go on long, being as the suits know there is a limited time window before the masses find something else to entertain them and risk the chance of people just losing interest in the moving picture stories. Although i really even don't see that happening. But it will affect their bottom line and that hurts them most of all.
    "Here you leave Today and enter the world of Yesterday, Tomorrow and Bankruptcy!"

Maybe for once, someone will call me "Sir" without saying, "You're making a scene!"

Arizona Cardinals 2008 NFC Champions

• my two sunshines

The last strike lasted 6 months - I don't remember it cause I was living overseas and it didn't effect us cause Armed Forces TV only had reruns anyways - but 6 months is a long time in the TV/Movie world - I just don't see their demands being met to their satisfaction

Royalties for thier writing yes - songwriters don't get royalties every time the song is played, not anymore - I believe on how many new copies of the song is bought - not resale - writers want resale money too - won't happen, there is no way to know what is up for resale - thats like authors getting royalties on their book being sold in a used bookstore - aint' gonna happen.

I'm curious to see how it pans out

This is good for Netflix and cable channels/reality shows

• Mr. Faranheit

Blog Entries

I don't understand why they think they would be entitled to a piece of the DVD sales in the first place. They get paid to do a job, and if they don't care for the arrangement, they should get into producing their own work so they own the whole thing.
    Be controversial

Be outspoken

Be outrageous

Just don't be boring

• my two sunshines

I do agree - I think that if they want a piece of the sale of the DVD than before writing the show/movie or before they sell thier piece to a studio then have it in the contract that they get a percentage of DVD sales - it's not a given for anyone but the studio and producers to get a cut - the actors have to put it in their contracts which a lot are doing now -thats how they afford their private islands, new cars and those much needed vacations!

• Rock Star Minion

From what I've read, writers already get 4 cents for every DVD sold. Now they want 8 cents.
    I believe they are also compensated some flat rate (dependent on ability and reputation, I suspect).

The internet thing is definitely an issue, since nbc.com doesn't receive any money for webcasting "The Office." If the writers get some pennies per hit of each show, that could get pretty expensive. Someone would have to pay.

NBC could start charging a monthly access fee for all NBC shows.
    (Which would be pretty cool. If all networks did this, I'd drop my cable in an instant.)
    Not sure how this would go over in the general public, or in Peoria, as the old saying goes.

I'll give this strike two weeks.
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

• Senior Minion

Quote Originally Posted by justjohn View Post
    I don't understand why they think they would be entitled to a piece of the DVD sales in the first place. They get paid to do a job, and if they don't care for the arrangement, they should get into producing their own work so they own the whole thing.
    i dont know what they are going to do about the internet thing but they should get more for dvd sales. Without them their would be no dvd to sell. I can see them giving in on the internet part but not on the dvd sales.

• Mr. Faranheit

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Master Gracie View Post
    i dont know what they are going to do about the internet thing but they should get more for dvd sales. Without them their would be no dvd to sell. I can see them giving in on the internet part but not on the dvd sales.
    No, they were paid for a job. What happens to the product after that is none of their business.

In all honesty, without the producers putting their money on the line, not only would there not be a DVD, but there wouldn't be a project in the first place.

I sell industrial fasteners for a living. Should I get a cut of every sale of the end product because I supplied all of the fasteners to put something together?

Without them...

Well, they would just get somebody else to do the writing. The ones that are really good, get paid accordingly, and if they don't like it, they shouldn't take the job.
    Last edited by justjohn; 11-06-2007 at 04:35 PM.
    Be controversial

Be outspoken

Be outrageous

Just don't be boring

• my two sunshines

Quote Originally Posted by Master Gracie View Post
    Actually what I read is that the union conceeded about the DVD increase but they want a piece of the internet/downloadable action

They want future cuts on iPhone, iPod, etc product

They want the entertainment industry to project what the increase of sales will be and they want to be paid accordingly

How can an industry project 'maybe' projects - with the economy the way it is now, movies in theatres are lucky to break even

I really think it's a no win situation for writers with this strike - I just don't see it

• Senior Minion

Quote Originally Posted by justjohn View Post
    Well, they would just get somebody else to do the writing. The ones that are really good, get paid accordingly, and if they don't like it, they shouldn't take the job.

i don't see that happening as some of the 'really good' are in on the strike too standing firm on what they believe. I think they'll get what they want, its not like tv networks can just keep airing re runs.

Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast