• Angel Fan MC Man

Blog Entries

Memories of M*A*S*H

This goes down as one of my all-time favorite shows, even though I didn't start watching it regularly until it's seventh season (I certainly have had plenty of time to catch up with re-runs).

This show is somewhat unique, I think, in that it evolved into something quite different at the end than it was at the beginning. The characters and several actors came and went, but in my opinion they never lost a step - in fact, it kept getting better and rarely insulted the intelligence of its audience like so many other "sitcoms" did.

I have two favorite episodes...from the early years, the gut-wrencher where Colonel Blake is killed...and from the later years, the "Old Soldiers Never Die" episode where Potter pays homage to his fallen WW1 companion.

Did you prefer Wayne Rogers "Trapper" to Mike Farrell's "BJ"?

McLean Stevenson as Blake to Harry Morgan as Potter?

David Ogden Stiers as Winchester to Larry Linville's Frank?

Loretta Swit's "Hot Lips" to the later Margaret?

Jamie Farr's Klinger the cross-dresser to Klinger the company clerk?

And lest we forget, Gary Burghoff as the unforgettable Radar, and William Christopher as Father Mulcahy...

And of course, the one constant...Benjamin Franklin Pierce...nicknamed Hawkeye after a character from the "Last of the Mohicans"...Alan Alda.

Just remember...

Suicide is painless
    it brings on many changes
    and I can take or leave it
    if I please...
    Last edited by Radiobarry; 11-17-2007 at 09:51 PM. Reason: Correct spelling of William Christopher, Harry instead of Henry Morgan
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

• Winter in Oceanside...

Re: Memories of M*A*S*H

Wow. This must be old T.V. night! I used to LOVE this show. It was in its heyday when I was a young bride. I'll admit I haven't watched it much lately.

Quote Originally Posted by Radiobarry View Post

Did you prefer Wayne Rogers "Trapper" to Mike Farrell's "BJ"? BJ

McLean Stevenson as Blake to Henry Morgan as Potter? Tough one.

David Ogden Stiers as Winchester to Larry Linville's Frank? Winchester

Loretta Swit's "Hot Lips" to the later Margaret? Later Margaret. Strong woman vs. floozy

Jamie Farr's Klinger the cross-dresser to Klinger the company clerk? Cross dressing Klinger - a classic

And lest we forget, Gary Burghoff as the unforgettable Radar, and William Cristopher as Father Mulcahy... 2 of my favorites.

I'll follow in the same style as PrincessY

Quote Originally Posted by Radiobarry View Post
    Did you prefer Wayne Rogers "Trapper" to Mike Farrell's "BJ"? BJ

McLean Stevenson as Blake to Harry Morgan as Potter? Potter, better combacks

David Ogden Stiers as Winchester to Larry Linville's Frank? It's all about Ferret Face!

Loretta Swit's "Hot Lips" to the later Margaret? Gotta love Hot Lips and her undying devotion to Frank

Jamie Farr's Klinger the cross-dresser to Klinger the company clerk? Hilarious as a cross-dresser, but had better lines as a company clerk...so I'm gonna say the company clerk.

•   
    • NEVER to Old To Fly...

Blog Entries

I LOVED that show.

Trying to compare this to that opver the years is near impossible as the show never faultered and was always exellent.

I remember that episode when Blake was killed. One of the best. However the story beind McClean Stevenson leaving the show, thinking he would do better on his own, may have even been more tragic.

And Hot Lips and Frank was a totally differnt story line than the later years. Not bad for a 2 year war

The Movie is one of my all time top 10. If you want to argue characters. Sutherland and Gould as Hawkeye and Trapper John, and Duvall as Burns, Kellerman as Hot Lips...

That was a classic....
    -----------------------------------------------
    DISNEYLAND: Greatest Man-Made Place On Earth

YOSEMITE NATIONAL PARK: Greatest *GOD-Made Place On Earth

• Waiting for my E-Ticket

Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota

I never got into this show until last year. I finally saw the movie and loved it, so I started watching re-runs of the show on TV Land. I guess when I was younger, I didn't really get it, but now that I'm older & wiser, I totally do.

• My cuties!

Quote Originally Posted by PanTheMan View Post
    Trying to compare this to that over the years is near impossible as the show never faultered and was always exellent.
    Too true!

One of my favorite characters was Col. Flagg. I loved when he saw the Reader's Digest and said, "If you take out the 3rd, 5th and 6th letters you have Red's Digest."

• Mischievous Mouse

Preferences?

The original cast was the best. But the writing in the first few seasons was exceptional. So the writing, it kinda lended to the earlier episodes being so well done. It was fun. The lambasting that Frank took got old after BJ showed up and the sexy/dipsy Hot-lips was supreme. The earlier BJ/Potter/Chaaales Emerson Winschester episodes are ok, but they faded fast into a "political spring-board" for anti war propaganda. Hey, don't get me we wrong, I'm anti-war, but I turn a sitcom on to turn reality off, they started crossing the line in to an info-mercial for anti-war instead of creating a laugh for me to froget a hard day at the office, y'know?

So many fav episodes from seasons 1-3 I can't just pick any one, or two, or three...

Great shows. Great characters. Great lines and laughs.

McLean was my favorite.. by a long shot!!!

"We believed in our idea - a family park where parents and children could have fun- together."

-Walt Disney

• Circle of Ancients

M*A*S*H was the one show I just never got, and didn't really find very funny as a kid or even now. I've tried to watch it, tried to like it, but like Entourage I think it's a show that was popular to like, but I just don't find funny or interesting in any way.