Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

• Mischievous Mouse

Tin Man - Darker view of 'The Wizard of Oz'

This sounds really cool!

LOS ANGELES, California (AP) -- No dancing down the yellow brick road for Zooey Deschanel, star of Sci Fi Channel's new Emerald City adaptation, "Tin Man." And no warbling "Over the Rainbow" a la Judy Garland, either.
    "It's postmodern, more like Indiana Jones than a fairy tale," said Deschanel, whose Dorothy -- the role immortalized by Garland in "The Wizard of Oz" -- is a disaffected, motorcycle-riding waitress called DG.
    Based on L. Frank Baum's novel "The Wonderful Wizard of Oz," which inspired the 1939 film classic, Sci Fi's six-hour "Tin Man" is not a musical but a brooding, special effects-driven fantasy.
    "The book was written in 1900 and its story still lives," said Robert Halmi Sr., one the executive producers.
    "It's a coming-of-age story," Deschanel said of the miniseries airing December 2 through December 4.

http://www.cnn.com/2007/SHOWBIZ/TV/1....ap/index.html

"We believed in our idea - a family park where parents and children could have fun- together."

-Walt Disney

• Iron-Clad Allie

Re: Tin Man - Darker view of 'The Wizard of Oz'

I've noticed this series being advertised, and plan to watch the debut this coming Sunday. The characters sound like a creative diversion from the noriginal MGM movie, and from L. Frank Baum's book. However, a special effects laden ScuFi show will fall flat on it's face in the absence of well rounded and likable/lovable characters and a meaningful/cohesive plot.

Brooding seriousness is fine. But humor and the ability to entertain (beyond talking and fighting) is important to the longevity of any production. Again, the premise does sound intriguing. Let's hope that this show isn't just all smoke and mirrors. The MGM musical/scifi/fantasy was far more than that. This is why it has been imortalized through time.
    To Boldly Go Where No MiceChatter Has Gone Before!

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Starcruiser.. crash crash

The premiere party was earlier this tuesday in Hollywood (at the cinerama dome) with a party following (open bar and open crab cakes). The score was written by Simon Boswell and is pretty top notch compared to most miniseries on television.

Visit my mice chat toy shop!
    http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

• Still lost in Neverland

Several cable channels have been running a 30 minute making of The Tim Man special for a couple of weeks now. I watched it and I must say I have to see this. A darker version of OZ looks amazing. I think this will be one of the best of the Sci Fi mini series yet. And some of the previous ones have been great.
    Peter Pan Forever!!! I Will Never Grow Up.

Thank You Poisonedapples

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • It's knittingknurse now.

Blog Entries

Want to see this!

• my two sunshines

It looks incredibly interesting - we are Tivo'ng it as well as watching it cause I know we'll miss something and have to go back and figure it out

• Waiting for my E-Ticket

Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota

I saw the making of special a couple weeks ago and it caught my interest. I'll be setting the DVR to record this.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew

Blog Entries

I watched it. Caine was kinda' hot but I felt like they were trying for that. Glitch annoyed me. Is Lavendar Eyes Glinda? I don't know... I mean I am going to watch tomorrow because I want to see the explainations for stuff but as a person who loves Wizard of Oz, and I would love a great re-imagining of it....I like Zooey, like Mr.Dryfus (sp?), the evil witch with the flying monkeys tattooed to her boobs... okay. She does good boob acting.

• far, far away from DL

I thought it was pretty good last night. I'm really suprised that it is a six hour movie. Can't wait till tonight.

• Huh?

I DVRed it and saw a bit of it last night... being an Oz fan, it's interesting to see this adaptation. However, some of the things are a little overdone now -- like having a modern Dorothy work in a diner (just so they have an excuse to have a blue & white checkered dress).

It's a bit of an Oz version of Looking Glass Wars in the end...

Overall, I'm rather enjoying it.
    -Tim

•   
      MiceChat Senior Moderator
    • Jester of Randomness

Trying to keep it light and fluffy since '05...
    Blog Entries

Actually I liked Glitch! For some reason the actor reminds me of Johnny Depp a little bit. But we certainly aren't in Kansas any more!! It is a much darker story, but I think a lot of that comes from having the "evil" sister having taken over Oz...oh... I mean the O-Z. (That play on the O-C is a bit over the top I thought, but whatever).

I did fall asleep for a few minutes after DG and crew went to see the Mystic Man, and didn't wake up again until they were headed to the "frozen castle." Guess I'll have to watch episode one again to see what I missed.

Help me get more security in Pingvinivlle! Click here!

Quote Originally Posted by AGhostFromThePast
    all you need to know about the mommy stick is.. out of all the bad things that could happen to you... it's right between wetting yourself and death.

• Sorcerer Supreme Bean

Saw a clip of it on Yahoo. Looked interesting but couldnt really make a connection between the clip and anything from wizard of oz

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew

Blog Entries

I kinda' thought the "field of the Poppe" with the numbing spit and these critters that looked like the critters in "Lady in the Water" was odd. I mean compared to the poppy fields.... I don't know.

• Look.....at......me!

I love this movie. Of course, I am a huge Alan Cumming fan (glitch...although I miss his adorable scottish accent ) and I love zoey as well (every since I saw elf and heard her sing that one song with Will Ferrel when she was in the shower..love her voice!). But even without them, I love the look of the show and the retelling is kinda cool. Looking forward to the rest of the show!

• Still lost in Neverland

I really was looking forward to this, but a trip to Disneyland got in the way. I am always upset with these mini series on Sci Fi anyway as they just run way too many commercials. I think I will wait for the soon to come DVD and then I can watch without all the blasted on screen ads for other shows and all the commercials. I hate all this on screen advertising you see everywhere now and it usually takes up half the screen now. Someday all we will see is a screen full of adverts and only a tiny little corner will show the actual show.
    Peter Pan Forever!!! I Will Never Grow Up.

Thank You Poisonedapples

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast