Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

• Iron-Clad Allie

Re: Without Writers, Leno Clobbers Scripted Letterman Ahh Naturel In Ratings

Quote Originally Posted by BC_DisneyGeek View Post
    Generally not a fan of Leno. His show just feels too generic, like he's going for the widest audience possible. Reading about his writer-less show though, I am impressed. The guy clearly has the talent to do it on his own.

I like Letterman's humour more, but he can be very tedious to watch. He goes off on tangents that last way too long. I did like his first show back. Lots of self-depreciating humour from the writers, a few pointed barbs, and it was nice to see writers from other shows participate.
    Leno is gaining all kinds of respect as a result of this ordeal. Letterman's as crazy, sarcastic and hilarious as ever. I just wish that we could have had the opportunity to see him in action as a writer-less rebel too.
    To Boldly Go Where No MiceChatter Has Gone Before!

• Circle of Ancients

What I want to know is what's up with Conan and Letterman's beards.

I think Conan looks good with his, but Letterman looks like the mail-box bomb guy.

• Iron-Clad Allie

Quote Originally Posted by Zorro825 View Post
    NBC has said that they are converting a studio on the Universal lot to be the new home of The Tonight Show when Conan takes over since they are selling their Burbank lot.
    I've heard this too. Burbank has become a seedy area for television production anyway. Had our car's antena broken off while watching the taping of a show their once. More shows should be at Universal Studios. This makes a visit to the studio/theme park all the more rewarding and exciting. USF/IOA may have more awesome attractions - Universal Hollywood is the only "real" studio. That's a pretty good trade off.

Quote Originally Posted by sir clinksalot View Post
    I'm okay with Conan being in LA. I don't think both of the main late-night talk shows should be in NYC. Plus, doesn't Conan actually live in Seattle when he's not working? Will be closer for him to get home.

The question is, who's going to replace Conan? Hopefully they don't just move Carson Daly up to that slot.
    Carson Daly is a concern with me as well. He's not very good in my opinion. In fact, the man's craptastic. What's wrong with a zany female comedian heading up a late night show for a change - or something completely off the wall like the Colbert Report.

• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

BANZAI INSTITUTE for Biomedical Engineering and Strategic Information

WGA calls out Leno on monologue

Guild accuses latenight host of breaking rules

http://www.micechat.com/forums/showt...e-82402p6.html
    "If you don't know how to draw, you don't belong in this building" - John Lasseter 2006

• Circle of Ancients

I still say good for Leno.

He's doing a good thing for his non-striking staff. If the WGA doesn't like it, tough.

• Iron-Clad Allie

I think Conan looks good with his, but Letterman looks like the mail-box bomb guy.
    Conan poked fun of himself last night by relating that people have started comparing him to Kris Kringle from the Rankin-Bass cartoon, Santa Claus Is Comin' To Town.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Get the Iodine!

Blog Entries

In my opinion, good comedians don't need others to write jokes for them. Props to Leno for being able to hold his own ground .

• Iron-Clad Allie

Quote Originally Posted by ALIASd View Post
    WGA calls out Leno on monologue

Guild accuses latenight host of breaking rules

http://www.micechat.com/forums/showt...e-82402p6.html
    David Letterman is to be applauded for owning his own production company, and working out a deal with the WGA independently of the networks. this is good business savvy.

On the other hand, there's nothing in NBC's contract with the Guild that prohibits a late night host from being themselves. The Tonight Show could be sidetracked into an uncorrectable downward ratings spiral if the Guild had it's way in closing the production down indefinitely, while in the face of significant competition. Plus, Leno's crew could possibly even disband for lack of work.

I still say good for Leno.

He's doing a good thing for his non-striking staff. If the WGA doesn't like it, tough.
    Agreed! I support the WGA to the hilt myself. However, they are reaching too far here. Late night program hosts that engender their own humor are hardly a threat to the Guild in consideration of the vast enternament industry that has been compromised if not brought to a halt.

Can't wait to watch Comedy Central's Jon Stewart and Stephen Colbert perform without writers. It should be a real farce watching them "sweat it out alone". LOLOL!

• Iron-Clad Allie

Quote Originally Posted by Disney Wrassler View Post
    In my opinion, good comedians don't need others to write jokes for them. Props to Leno for being able to hold his own ground .
    Double those props here, DW! He's "Jay walking" the picket lines for a higher purpose.

• Minion

I'm okay with Conan being in LA. I don't think both of the main late-night talk shows should be in NYC. Plus, doesn't Conan actually live in Seattle when he's not working? Will be closer for him to get home.

The question is, who's going to replace Conan? Hopefully they don't just move Carson Daly up to that slot.
    I don't know - I just have a hard time seeing him in CA. Maybe I'm too used to him being in New York. Maybe I'm just biased towards to the (superior) East Coast.

Does anybody actually watch Carson Daly? His show is terrible. Absolutely terrible. He has no personality at all. He is so incredibly boring, he has very few funny jokes, and even the ones that are half decent, he kills with his horrendous delivery. Thirty minutes of his show is painful enough. I can't imagine how awful an hour would be.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Suspended

Quote Originally Posted by Ride Warrior View Post
    Conan poked fun of himself last night by relating that people have started comparing him to Kris Kringle from the Rankin-Bass cartoon, Santa Claus Is Comin' To Town.

Conan has a beard???????? I would compare him to an oversized
    scarey Leprechan!!!!!!

Don't watch the late nighttalk shows too much anymore.
    Used to watch Johnny Carson. Then when he retired, I watched
    Letterman mostly. Leno is just too, too, blahly annoying.
    Letterman has a much sharper whit. I've been a Davide Letterman
    fan since before his Morning Talk Show.

It's really too bad that neither show has gone with substitute hosts ~ Johnny Carson used to do that ALL the time, and it gave a chance for
    seeing some people try out the host desk every once in a while. Gave
    them a chance to try it out and see how well they did . I think
    that provided a great way to groom some potential successors.
    At the same time, it gave some experience to some people who
    might not have had a chance, otherwise.

• Iron-Clad Allie

Quote Originally Posted by kirbilicious View Post
    I don't know - I just have a hard time seeing him in CA. Maybe I'm too used to him being in New York. Maybe I'm just biased towards to the (superior) East Coast.

Does anybody actually watch Carson Daly? His show is terrible. Absolutely terrible. He has no personality at all. He is so incredibly boring, he has very few funny jokes, and even the ones that are half decent, he kills with his horrendous delivery. Thirty minutes of his show is painful enough. I can't imagine how awful an hour would be.

Quote Originally Posted by Aladdin View Post
    Conan has a beard???????? I would compare him to an oversized
    scarey Leprechan!!!!!!

Don't watch the late nighttalk shows too much anymore.
    Used to watch Johnny Carson. Then when he retired, I watched
    Letterman mostly. Leno is just too, too, blahly annoying.
    Letterman has a much sharper whit. I've been a Davide Letterman
    fan since before his Morning Talk Show.

It's really too bad that neither show has gone with substitute hosts ~ Johnny Carson used to do that ALL the time, and it gave a chance for
    seeing some people try out the host desk every once in a while. Gave
    them a chance to try it out and see how well they did . I think
    that provided a great way to groom some potential successors.
    At the same time, it gave some experience to some people who
    might not have had a chance, otherwise.
    Scary Leprechan? ...

Periodic substitute hosts would make the shows more interesting. It was always interesting and fun when Johnny Carson had one. That's how Jay himself gained the opportunity to showcase his talent - and, of course, frequent gust monologues. Love your notion, Aladdin.

Ed McMahan was always a horrible fake dork regardless of who he interacted with though. Never could understand why Carson chose to work with him.

• BATTLE COMBINER!

Go leno.

I love leno.

• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

BANZAI INSTITUTE for Biomedical Engineering and Strategic Information

Quote Originally Posted by Zorro825 View Post
    Leno was a standup comic long before he hosted the Tonight Show. Its no surprise that he's doing well without his writing staff. Yay for Jay. I hope he keeps it up.
    So was Letterman.

Jay performs stand-up every Sunday at the Comedy & Magic Club in Hermosa Beach plus has several Las Vegas performances annually.

Dave supports his racing team, had heart surgery 8 years ago and a 5-year old son.
    "If you don't know how to draw, you don't belong in this building" - John Lasseter 2006

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Get the Iodine!

Blog Entries

Originally Posted by sir clinksalot

I wonder if The Horny Manatee will like the So. Cal. beaches.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast