Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

• Rides against injustice

Re: Without Writers, Leno Clobbers Scripted Letterman Ahh Naturel In Ratings

The question is, who's going to replace Conan? Hopefully they don't just move Carson Daly up to that slot.
    Oh geez that better not happen!!! Carson Daly has the personality of a dust pan.
    Out of the NIGHT....
    When the full moon is BRIGHT!!
    Comes a horseman known as ZORRO!!!
    ---------------------------------------

• Goofy

I hope the writers strike ends soon because last night on conan the jokes were kinda lame and very little funny. and i was listening to it on the am and fm tv radio. and I kinda switch it to the radio.

• Iron-Clad Allie

Quote Originally Posted by rex22 View Post
    I hope the writers strike ends soon because last night on conan the jokes were kinda lame and very little funny. and i was listening to it on the am and fm tv radio. and I kinda switch it to the radio.
    Conan climbed up unto a catwalk high up in the studio rafters. He hid behind crates while listening in on tour guides and then sneaking up on the groups to surprise them. He resorted to physical comedy which was kinda funny to watch. Listening to it on the radio would have been absolutely dead. You poor guy.. ...
    To Boldly Go Where No MiceChatter Has Gone Before!

• Making my own Mousekteers

Quote Originally Posted by Ride Warrior View Post
    but not nearly as fresh and zany as Jay, ahh natural.
    The only problem is, he wasn't winging it or working without a net or anything else. He wrote that script and that is in strict violation of the agreement he had with the WGA that let him come back on the air without being picketed. Not only is the WGA able to kick him out they are also so mad they might start picketing his show. If he really cares about the WGA and the strike he wouldn't do stuff like this. It is rampant hypocrisy.

I know it might seem extreme but the WGA is meeting with a total black ball from the studios right now. They need every piece of leverage they can get. That's why they turned down the Globes waiver and will probably deny a waiver to the Oscars. If people don't watch the shows then the advertisers pull their funding. Then the studios lose money which is the only way to force them to deal on the strike. It's a dirty messy business but the WGA can't give an inch or the Studios will exploit it. Unfortunately we are the ones who suffer. Believe me, I will be weeping for the Daily Show and Colbert Report when they come back. However, I also don't think that either Jon Stewart or Stephen Colbert will do anything more than the bare minimum required of them because they are so mad at being forced to come back before a deal is struck. They are in negotiations now, so, here's hoping.
    Last edited by Queentitania19; 01-05-2008 at 12:23 AM.

• Iron-Clad Allie

Quote Originally Posted by Queentitania19 View Post
    The only problem is, he wasn't winging it or working without a net or anything else. He wrote that script and that is in strict violation of the agreement he had with the WGA that let him come back on the air without being picketed. Not only is the WGA able to kick him out they are also so mad they might start picketing his show. If he really cares about the WGA and the strike he wouldn't do stuff like this. It is rampant hypocrisy.

I know it might seem extreme but the WGA is meeting with a total black ball from the studios right now. They need every piece of leverage they can get. That's why they turned down the Globes waiver and will probably deny a waiver to the Oscars. If people don't watch the shows then the advertisers pull their funding. Then the studios lose money which is the only way to force them to deal on the strike. It's a dirty messy business but the WGA can't give an inch or the Studios will exploit it. Unfortunately we are the ones who suffer. Believe me, I will be weeping for the Daily Show and Colbert Report when they come back. However, I also don't think that either Jon Stewart or Stephen Colbert will do anything more than the bare minimum required of them because they are so mad at being forced to come back before a deal is struck. They are in negotiations now, so, here's hoping.
    Jay has proven his point that he can hold his own without writers, plus dominate Letterman as if the competitor is a rag doll. There is logic to what you have said, Queentitania. Perhaps it wouldn't hurt for Leno to compromise more by laying off of the opening monologue until a negotiated agreement is reached that hopefully protects the future media residual rights of writers thru the WGA. It wouldn't hurt for people like us to write and tell him so. I appreciate your caring enough to help keep me on the right path as well.
    Last edited by Ride Warrior; 01-05-2008 at 08:18 PM.

Jimmy Kimmel did an interesting bit. He re-ran old clips, titled something like "Great Moments, generating residual income for our unemployed writers". I thought it was cute and pretty funny. Not that those residuals are anything big, but it was entertaining. And it's a tiny bit of cash.
    I pledge allegiance to the Earth, one planet, many gods, and to the universe in which she spins.

I don't mean to be a wet blanket but I don't want to stand up and cheer for Leno sticking it to the WGA. It's just my opinion and I know a lot of people don't agree with the writers but Leno says that he does and he still violated that agreement. I guess that's what cheesed me off.

I'll climb off my soap box now. On a side note, did anyone else see the interview with Ellen Page? How funny was that?

• Iron-Clad Allie

Quote Originally Posted by alphabassetgrrl View Post
    Jimmy Kimmel did an interesting bit. He re-ran old clips, titled something like "Great Moments, generating residual income for our unemployed writers". I thought it was cute and pretty funny. Not that those residuals are anything big, but it was entertaining. And it's a tiny bit of cash.
    Glad that Jimmy didn't title the comedy presentation of the old clips, Great Moments With Mr. Lincoln. People might have got got the impression the the tapes were a little too old and behind the times. Besides, how would one find unemployed writers from the 1800's in order to pay residuals to them?

Actually, Jimmy Kimmel's idea rules in that he found a way to both entertain and help writers at the same time. If everybody followed his lead, there would be much fewer Tylonol headaches out there.

Quote Originally Posted by Queentitania19 View Post
    I don't mean to be a wet blanket but I don't want to stand up and cheer for Leno sticking it to the WGA. It's just my opinion and I know a lot of people don't agree with the writers but Leno says that he does and he still violated that agreement. I guess that's what cheesed me off.

I'll climb off my soap box now. On a side note, did anyone else see the interview with Ellen Page? How funny was that?
    OMG! Ellen Page is hillarious! Loved her discussion about the Haunted hoar house and the transparent sluts that reside there. As a matter of fact, I located a video of it on YouTube -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=http:...?v=uCRYGmytEGI

• Goofy

Quote Originally Posted by Ride Warrior View Post
    Conan climbed up unto a catwalk high up in the studio rafters. He hid behind crates while listening in on tour guides and then sneaking up on the groups to surprise them. He resorted to physical comedy which was kinda funny to watch. Listening to it on the radio would have been absolutely dead. You poor guy.. ...

oh yes lol.

Has anyone heard that Jimmy Kimmel and Leno are going to be each other's guest? In the same week they are going to visit each other's shows.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Zorro825 View Post
    Oh geez that better not happen!!! Carson Daly has the personality of a dust pan.
    That's an insult to dust pans.

• Circle of Ancients

I remember when Carson Daly was on KROQ and even then I thought "How'd this guy get THAT job". Then when he went to MTV I got even more confused. And on top of that he got Jennifer Love Hewitt. How did THAT happen?

• Rides against injustice

I'm sorry but its hard for me to be sympathetic to the WGA when I'm about to lose my job because of their "cause". I work for WBTV and while most of us were in support of the WGA at the begining we are all growing frustrated at the fact that they continue to protray themselves as the vicitims in all this. I'm all for fair treatment and all but not at the cost of thousands of jobs across the industry. These are hardworking people who dont have residuals to fall back on. Not to mention the impact it is having on all the businesses that rely on us. But who cares right? As long as they get what they want.

Back on topic, I hope Jay keeps it up. I've been watching his show every night since it returned and it'll be interesting to see what happens when he visits Jimmy and vice versa
    Out of the NIGHT....
    When the full moon is BRIGHT!!
    Comes a horseman known as ZORRO!!!
    ---------------------------------------

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Get the Iodine!

Blog Entries

I agree Zorro. But the WGA can care less about anyone outside of the unionized writing community and those who oppose the agenda they are spreading. It's all about having control over the studios and hurting those who won't conform, even if that means putting people out of jobs.

• Iron-Clad Allie

Quote Originally Posted by Zorro825 View Post
    I'm sorry but its hard for me to be sympathetic to the WGA when I'm about to lose my job because of their "cause". I work for WBTV and while most of us were in support of the WGA at the begining we are all growing frustrated at the fact that they continue to protray themselves as the vicitims in all this. I'm all for fair treatment and all but not at the cost of thousands of jobs across the industry. These are hardworking people who dont have residuals to fall back on. Not to mention the impact it is having on all the businesses that rely on us. But who cares right? As long as they get what they want.

Back on topic, I hope Jay keeps it up. I've been watching his show every night since it returned and it'll be interesting to see what happens when he visits Jimmy and vice versa
    People do care, Zorro. this is a large part of the reason that I started this thread. I am so proud of Jay Leno for putting his crew back to work - and out of his own pocket! Anyway you look at it though, media technicians and coordinators are dependendent on writers for their longterm income - just like actors, comedians (and other performers). This is why Jay should resist writing his own material until an agreement is reached.

On the other hand, media writers are dependent on production technicians and coordinators. Life is a two way street. This may sound a bit off the wall, but I feel that both members of the SWG and SAG should pay entertainment industry professional/technical support crews a percentage of their royalties/residuals. It's high time that people stop "acting" like they are islands unto themselves - and that they don't need eachother. This cavalier attitude hurts everyone!
    Last edited by Ride Warrior; 01-09-2008 at 09:37 PM.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast