Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

• Iron-Clad Allie

Re: Without Writers, Leno Clobbers Scripted Letterman Ahh Naturel In Ratings

Quote Originally Posted by Disney Wrassler View Post
    I agree Zorro. But the WGA can care less about anyone outside of the unionized writing community and those who oppose the agenda they are spreading. It's all about having control over the studios and hurting those who won't conform, even if that means putting people out of jobs.
    Ultimately, the blame starts with the producers. If the WGA caves to the greed and stubborness of the media giants, everybody else will eventually be crushed as the unwaivering big foot comes down slowly but surely.
    To Boldly Go Where No MiceChatter Has Gone Before!

• Iron-Clad Allie

Quote Originally Posted by Queentitania19 View Post
    Has anyone heard that Jimmy Kimmel and Leno are going to be each other's guest? In the same week they are going to visit each other's shows.
    This sounds like a smart trade off - a good way to get "A List" guests.

• Making my own Mousekteers

I love how the studios are the ones handing out pink slips and yet it's the WGA's fault that people are getting fired. It would cost the studios less to give the WGA what they're asking for than to continue the strike and yet they refuse to come back to the negotiating table. The WGA has opened up negotiations to any production company, regardless of whether they are part of the alliance. That is how United Artists and Worldwide Pants (Letterman's company) got their writers back.

Obviously the writers don't control over the studios because then there wouldn't be a strike. They want to work. Of course if you're heart bleeds for those poor unfortunate multi-billion dollar companies, some of whose executives (Viacom, CBS and Paramount I believe) are having a spa weekend here in AZ, this weekend.... take heart. Lionsgate, the Weinstein Co and Lucasfilm are all rumored to be in negotiations with the WGA. So at least some more people will get to go back to work.

I proposed to my roomate that we should go picket at the spa.

• Rides against injustice

Quote Originally Posted by Ride Warrior View Post
    It's high time that people stop "acting" like they are islands unto themselves - and that they don't need eachother. This cavalier attitude hurts everyone!
    Here, here!
    Out of the NIGHT....
    When the full moon is BRIGHT!!
    Comes a horseman known as ZORRO!!!
    ---------------------------------------

• Seasick

The fact that others will be out of work as a result of this strike is unfortunate, but what would you have the writers do? Are they supposed to bow to the studios demands just to keep others working? It's really not fair to blame the writers for other people becoming unemployed.

• Rides against injustice

I love how the studios are the ones handing out pink slips and yet it's the WGA's fault that people are getting fired. It would cost the studios less to give the WGA what they're asking for than to continue the strike and yet they refuse to come back to the negotiating table. The WGA has opened up negotiations to any production company, regardless of whether they are part of the alliance. That is how United Artists and Worldwide Pants (Letterman's company) got their writers back.

Obviously the writers don't control over the studios because then there wouldn't be a strike. They want to work. Of course if you're heart bleeds for those poor unfortunate multi-billion dollar companies, some of whose executives (Viacom, CBS and Paramount I believe) are having a spa weekend here in AZ, this weekend.... take heart. Lionsgate, the Weinstein Co and Lucasfilm are all rumored to be in negotiations with the WGA. So at least some more people will get to go back to work.

I proposed to my roomate that we should go picket at the spa.
    My heart doesnt bleed for the companies, my heart bleeds for my fellow collegues who are on the brink of losing their jobs.
    Like I said before, I'm all for them getting their fair share, but I just wish they would realize the folly of their tactics. They're burning alot of bridges with their fellow production people because the sentiment is they dont care what happens as long as they get their concessions.

This article from the LA Times is a good read for anyone wanting a different view on the strike:

http://www.latimes.com/news/opinion/...-promo-opinion

I know that several of our picketing writers share his views, but for fear of reprisal from the WGA, they stay quiet and keep on marching.

I just hope this thing gets settled soon for everyone involved.

My friends and I were thinking of going over to the NBC lot and counter picketing with signs in support of Jay for coming back and keeping his staff working.
    Last edited by Zorro825; 01-10-2008 at 10:21 AM.
    Out of the NIGHT....
    When the full moon is BRIGHT!!
    Comes a horseman known as ZORRO!!!
    ---------------------------------------

• Who Gave Rob an Avatar?

Regarding the strike lets remember that the biggest issue is residuals for digital sales. And that this is not about the 'rock star writers' this is about writers who get scale. The UA and Pants deals are really unimportant to those houses because they have little or no residual value. Pants because topical shows really don't sell well on the 'rerun' market (SNL being one notable exception) and UA because it mostly distributes through alliance production houses so it too needn't worry about what digital rights the writers get. Plus UA has to get a film out or it will basically be dead soon.

The writers are about to get hit hard near the end of January when the director's guild is expected to finish up their contract. The formal negotiations start this coming week and evryone is saying that the informal negotiations went very well. Part of why the writers struck when they did was to get in front of the directors. WGA even asked the DGA to put off their negotiations until the WGA could reach an agreement. All signs point to the DGA ratifying their contract about 5 months ahead of the end of the current contract.

Lets face it neither the producers or the directors, nor even the actors are interested in letting the writers and editors into 'their' revenue stream. IMHO the WGA is going to settle at some point for roughly what they were offered in early December.
    Quote Originally Posted by SummerInFL View Post
    Jesus, even I wouldn't eat that.

Quote Originally Posted by Wanda Woman View Post
    Turtle, the dorks are going to take upskirt robot pics.

• Iron-Clad Allie

You are obviously extremely well informed on the situation, mousechild. Thanks for sharing these insights. Some of today's scale writers will be tomorrow's big names - if given half a chance. An industry stagnates that doesn't allow the cream to rise to the top. In part, the terrible condition of our economy reflects this. Hopefully the rain will come and wash away the filth created by many of these producers, directors, actors and the institutionalized greed/mindset of their respective lollypop guilds.

The WSJ, Variety, and the LA times is where mostof this comes from. I am winging it on what I think SAG will do, they are historically pretty militant but they have less of a bone in this particular fight. This really is about only the Basic wage agreement, none of this effects the 'famous' people. In many ways the SAG and WGA suffer from the same problems that the Disney unions suffer from, most of the jobs are entry level positions with lots of people interested in filling any available spot. Many more people who want to write for TV pour out of school each year than there openings. What has helped SAG and WGA is that the memberes who have done really well are willing to support the lowest tier. The WGA this time is already seen some of the middle tier go fcore and return to work. The Soap writers really don't care about reiduals and there are some signs in the trades publications saying they are thinking of settling.

Does anyone know how many DVD sales make up a good DVD rollout? Is 4 cents a copy a lot of money in the long run? And what about a multi disc set like a season of The Sopranos count as only a single 4 cent sale or is it 4 cents per each episode in the set?

Quote Originally Posted by Ride Warrior View Post
    This may sound a bit off the wall, but I feel that both members of the SWG and SAG should pay entertainment industry professional/technical support crews a percentage of their royalties/residuals.
    They do, a portion of the residual system goes to Iatse, the laborers union, that's how they get health and pension plans. Because the studios won't pay for the health and pension plan and that's where the money comes from.

Mousechild, I think you're right about the directors settling but I think you may be mistaken about SAG. The Directors residual system is different than the Writers so a deal that the DGA makes may be a set back but I don't think it will be fatal.

SAG however won't budge an inch. As it's been pointed out before, writers can't stop production... but actors can. You see, the last time contracts were up for negotiations SAG didn't support the WGA and then they got the same shaft as the writers did when it came to VHS/DVD sales. They have learned their lesson and they support the writers 100%. The directors and writers make less in residuals than actors do so I think it's what they give the SAG that matters not the DGA. Even if the DGA makes a deal there are the Oscars coming up to think about. That is the second highest advertising ticket of the year, ABC makes approx. $80 million. If the WGA pickets, I can guarantee you not one member of SAG will come and if they don't come it probably won't air. That, my friends, is leverage. After what happend tonight at the Golden Globes I pray that somebody deals.

To answer your question, the writers get .6% of the price of the DVD's. So it's not how many discs, it's how much the set costs. The writers want to move it up to 2.5% which is what they get paid for TV reruns.

• Iron-Clad Allie

They do, a portion of the residual system goes to Iatse, the laborers union, that's how they get health and pension plans. Because the studios won't pay for the health and pension plan and that's where the money comes from.
    To this end, SWG and SAD both sound generous - and smart.

Mousechild, I think you're right about the directors settling but I think you may be mistaken about SAG. The Directors residual system is different than the Writers so a deal that the DGA makes may be a set back but I don't think it will be fatal.

SAG however won't budge an inch. As it's been pointed out before, writers can't stop production... but actors can. You see, the last time contracts were up for negotiations SAG didn't support the WGA and then they got the same shaft as the writers did when it came to VHS/DVD sales. They have learned their lesson and they support the writers 100%. The directors and writers make less in residuals than actors do so I think it's what they give the SAG that matters not the DGA. Even if the DGA makes a deal there are the Oscars coming up to think about. That is the second highest advertising ticket of the year, ABC makes approx. $80 million. If the WGA pickets, I can guarantee you not one member of SAG will come and if they don't come it probably won't air. That, my friends, is leverage. After what happend tonight at the Golden Globes I pray that somebody deals.

To answer your question, the writers get .6% of the price of the DVD's. So it's not how many discs, it's how much the set costs. The writers want to move it up to 2.5% which is what they get paid for TV reruns.

Yeah you are probably right. SAG is starting to step up the militancy already. This all assumes that WGA gets an agreement without fracturing the union. There have already been rumblings in the LA Times that WGA is starting to split on West Coast - East Coast lines. The writers are already starting to see some writers go fcore and show up back to work. John Ridley went F core and is writing about it in various places.

I think that WGA made a mistake that the DGA is not going to repeat. The informal talks have come up with a framework and commitment for figuring out the residual formula in later contract negotiations. SAG and WGA grabbed DVD residuals early and got a low number and no commitment to reopen the formula. I think WGA and SAG would be better served to follow DGA lead on this issue, it worked better for them in the past. Sadly this strike may last until SAG goes on strike as well. DGA will probably get a tenative contract late this week or later next week.

Technically speaking as far as negotiation rules go WGA is in the position of having to counter-offer DGA latest offer, which included a DGA demand that WGA drop certain demands from their last counter-offer. So in a realistic sense WGA is supposed to make the next move.

Does anybody know if informal talks are allowed once the formal process starts? Can the producers and WGA hold informal meetings or do they have to call an impasse and speak through a mediator?

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Get the Iodine!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by BC_DisneyGeek View Post
    The fact that others will be out of work as a result of this strike is unfortunate, but what would you have the writers do? Are they supposed to bow to the studios demands just to keep others working? It's really not fair to blame the writers for other people becoming unemployed.
    With all due respect, would you still be saying that if your job was in jeopardy because of a major strike or boycott? I sure as heck wouldn't. I'd be pretty upset because I worked hard to find my job and work harder trying to keep it. I think striking and boycotting do more harm than anything else. Whenever productivity is haulted, that's when people lose their jobs.

My friends and I were thinking of going over to the NBC lot and counter picketing with signs in support of Jay for coming back and keeping his staff working.
    Why not? You have the freedom of protest. Who knows, maybe others would even join you. I do appreciate him giving many employees their jobs back. I think that's great. It just shows that he realizes MANY others depend on him when it comes to making an income because they have families to provide for, bills to pay, etc..

Quote Originally Posted by BC_DisneyGeek View Post
    Well this is a point better studied after the strike. If the WGA gets the same or little more than they were offered before the strike then their leadership did a poor job preparing for the negotiations and a really poor job preparing the writers.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast