Page 1 of 7 1234 ... LastLast

• Iron-Clad Allie

Without Writers, Leno Clobbers Scripted Letterman Ahh Naturel In Ratings

Gotta love that Jay Leno. He's returned to the Tonight Show live without a net, and is paying hs crew out of his own pocket. Wednesday night, he delivered a 10 minute monoloque that included these highlighted jokes -

“A Jew, a Christian and a Muslim walk into a bar - The Jew says to the Muslim — see, I have no idea what they say, because there’s a writers’ strike.”

He humorously slammed his network - “There are more people picketing NBC than watching NBC.”

Jay's making the best of a bad situatipon and is still coming out on top. Leeterman's production Company, Worldwide Pants cut a deal with the Writers Guild of america prior to his return. As a result, all of Dave's writers Have returned with him. The Top Ten List is as funny as ever - but not nearly as fresh and zany as Jay, ahh natual.

Good for Leno! I like Letterman, as I'm sure many of you do. As a rule though, I just enjoy Jay better - and he cracks me up pert near all the way thru his shows.

Last edited by Ride Warrior; 01-03-2008 at 11:55 PM.
    To Boldly Go Where No MiceChatter Has Gone Before!

Re: Without Writers, Leno Clobbers Scripted Letterman Ahh Naturel In Ratings

Fantastic for Leno!!
    "If you build it right, they will come." - Bob Iger

"I'm not a literary person. As far as realism is concerned, you can find dirt anyplace you look for it. I'm one of those optimists. There's always a rainbow." - Walt Disney

"I don't care about critics. Critics take themselves too seriously. They think the only way to be noticed and to be the smart guy is to pick and find fault with things. It's the public I'm making pictures for." - Walt Disney

• Goofy

come on conan nail the leno lol. leno is ok but I like conan more.

• Angel Fan MC Man

Blog Entries

I prefer Leno as a rule, in part, because he's here on the West Coast. Letterman's very good too, but there's definitely a New York sense to the show That I don't identify with quite as readily.

I think Leno won last night also in part due to a curiosity factor from people who wanted to see him working "without a net".

--Barry
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

• Iron-Clad Allie

Quote Originally Posted by rex22 View Post
    come on conan nail the leno lol. leno is ok but I like conan more.
    Conan is performing minus a writing staff as well - other than himself. He's ahh! some plus some.

• Iron-Clad Allie

Quote Originally Posted by Radiobarry View Post
    I prefer Leno as a rule, in part, because he's here on the West Coast. Letterman's very good too, but there's definitely a New York sense to the show That I don't identify with quite as readily.

I think Leno won last night also in part due to a curiosity factor from people who wanted to see him working "without a net".

--Barry
    Just listened to Jay's monoloque tonight. His humor was slick as snot.

His last joke was kiler diller -

"Do you know what they say the magazine to place in your bathroom is that most impresses women? - Time magazine. The worst? Barely Legal

I think that you're right, Barry, about the cuiosity factor. The late Jonny Carson is the only other comedian/host that I know of who pulled off performing in the abcense of writers.

I plan to watch Conan tonight as well.

• Circle of Ancients

Jay also got slammed for doing a monologue and was told not to do it again by the WGA.

So what does he do last night ... another monologue.

Jay's retiring next year, what the heck does he have to lose?

Let's not forget, he's a writer too.

• ...is fading out....

Blog Entries

I was a Johnny Carson fan......when Leno took over in 1992 - I put my focus on Letterman.

• Minion

I love Leno. Letterman is okay. Sometimes it's hard to watch his show though because Paul Shaffer is so incredibly annoying.

I absolutely love Conan but I'm a little worried he'll be forced to tone down his show a bit once he takes over for Leno. Will he have to move to the West Coast too?

I got to see Leno tape his show one afternoon- that was fun. I like him a lot. He seems to be a real person, who hasn't gotten an ego from being famous. I could be wrong, but that's the impression I get.

I like that he is trying to walk a middle ground between being on the air, and yet not violating the writer's strike (of a sorts). Paying his people out of his own pocket, not employing scab writers - I can respect that. He has shown he respects the striking writers, and the late-night talk shows aren't the meat of the writer's complaints. They complain about wanting a piece of future media distribution, movies and tv shows put out on DVD. Yes, I know, the writers want to bring all entertainment to a halt, and they have brought most of it down. They certainly have brought the stuff that matters down.

Let Leno go on by himself. As "offenses" go, his is pretty harmless.
    I pledge allegiance to the Earth, one planet, many gods, and to the universe in which she spins.

• Seasick

Generally not a fan of Leno. His show just feels too generic, like he's going for the widest audience possible. Reading about his writer-less show though, I am impressed. The guy clearly has the talent to do it on his own.

I like Letterman's humour more, but he can be very tedious to watch. He goes off on tangents that last way too long. I did like his first show back. Lots of self-depreciating humour from the writers, a few pointed barbs, and it was nice to see writers from other shows participate.

• Iron-Clad Allie

Quote Originally Posted by sir clinksalot View Post
    Jay also got slammed for doing a monologue and was told not to do it again by the WGA.

So what does he do last night ... another monologue.

Jay's retiring next year, what the heck does he have to lose?

Let's not forget, he's a writer too.
    Being empowered to do one's own writing does have it's priveleges. Can't blame Jay for desiring to keep his show competitive, and to not see his crew in undue financial straights. Letterman would own late night comedy/variety show programing had Leno not returned. From what I've seen, he respects and supports the Writers Guild strike.

Quote Originally Posted by kirbilicious View Post
    I love Leno. Letterman is okay. Sometimes it's hard to watch his show though because Paul Shaffer is so incredibly annoying.

I absolutely love Conan but I'm a little worried he'll be forced to tone down his show a bit once he takes over for Leno. Will he have to move to the West Coast too?
    In all likelihood, Conan would be obliged to do the Tonight Show on the west Coast. As to your other concern kirbilicious, the man is too wild to ever be tamed down. He laughs in the face of network pressure.

Quote Originally Posted by alphabassetgrrl View Post
    I got to see Leno tape his show one afternoon- that was fun. I like him a lot. He seems to be a real person, who hasn't gotten an ego from being famous. I could be wrong, but that's the impression I get.

I like that he is trying to walk a middle ground between being on the air, and yet not violating the writer's strike (of a sorts). Paying his people out of his own pocket, not employing scab writers - I can respect that. He has shown he respects the striking writers, and the late-night talk shows aren't the meat of the writer's complaints. They complain about wanting a piece of future media distribution, movies and tv shows put out on DVD. Yes, I know, the writers want to bring all entertainment to a halt, and they have brought most of it down. They certainly have brought the stuff that matters down.

Let Leno go on by himself. As "offenses" go, his is pretty harmless.
    I think that the writers and their strike will cause producers to cave to their demands for equitable royalties from media distribution. Successful writers are "rock stars" and deserve respect - just like their entertainment industry personality counterparts.

• Rides against injustice

Leno was a standup comic long before he hosted the Tonight Show. Its no surprise that he's doing well without his writing staff. Yay for Jay. I hope he keeps it up.
    Out of the NIGHT....
    When the full moon is BRIGHT!!
    Comes a horseman known as ZORRO!!!
    ---------------------------------------

• Rides against injustice

NBC has said that they are converting a studio on the Universal lot to be the new home of The Tonight Show when Conan takes over since they are selling their Burbank lot.
    Out of the NIGHT....
    When the full moon is BRIGHT!!
    Comes a horseman known as ZORRO!!!
    ---------------------------------------

• Circle of Ancients

I'm okay with Conan being in LA. I don't think both of the main late-night talk shows should be in NYC. Plus, doesn't Conan actually live in Seattle when he's not working? Will be closer for him to get home.

The question is, who's going to replace Conan? Hopefully they don't just move Carson Daly up to that slot.

Page 1 of 7 1234 ... LastLast