Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

• Winter in Oceanside...

Re: TV When You Were Born

Where here's what I get when I copy:
    PM 7:00 7:30 8:00 8:30 9:00 9:30 10:00 10:30 ABC You Asked For It Maverick Bowling Stars Open Hearing All-American Football Game of the Week Local CBS Lassie The Jack Benny Program/Bachelor Father The Ed Sullivan Show General Electric Theater Alfred Hitchcock Presents The $64,000 Challenge What's My Line? NBC Original Amateur Hour Sally The Steve Allen Show The Dinah Shore Chevy Show The Loretta Young Show Local
    [edit] Monday

PM 7:00 7:30 8:00 8:30 9:00 9:30 10:00 10:30 ABC 7:00 Local / 7:15 John Daley and the News American Bandstand The Guy Mitchell Show Bold Journey The Voice of Firestone Lawrence Welk's Top Tunes and New Talent Show Local CBS 7:00 Local / 7:15 CBS Evening News The Adventures of Robin Hood The George Burns and Gracie Allen Show Arthur Godfrey's Talent Scouts The Danny Thomas Show December Bride Studio One in Hollywood NBC Local The Price Is Right The Restless Gun Tales of Wells Fargo Twenty-One Turn of Fate Suspicion
    [edit] Tuesday

PM 7:00 7:30 8:00 8:30 9:00 9:30 10:00 10:30 ABC 7:00 Local / 7:15 John Daley and the News Cheyenne/Sugarfoot The Life and Legend of Wyatt Earp Broken Arrow Telephone Time The West Point Story Local CBS 7:00 Local / 7:15 CBS Evening News Name That Tune The Phil Silvers Show The Eve Arden Show To Tell the Truth The Red Skelton Show The $64,000 Question Assignment: Foreign Legion NBC Local The Nat King Cole Show The Eddie Fisher Show/The George Gobel Show Meet McGraw The Bob Cummings Show The Californians Local
    [edit] Wednesday

PM 7:00 7:30 8:00 8:30 9:00 9:30 10:00 10:30 ABC 7:00 Local / 7:15 John Daley and the News Disneyland Tombstone Territory The Adventures of Ozzie and Harriet The Walter Winchell File 10:00 The Wednesday Night Fights /10:45 Famous Fights CBS 7:00 Local / 7:15 CBS Evening News I Love Lucy (repeats) The Big Record The Millionaire I've Got a Secret Armstrong Circle Theatre/The United States Steel Hour NBC Local Wagon Train Father Knows Best Kraft Television Theatre This Is Your Life Local
    [edit] Thursday

PM 7:00 7:30 8:00 8:30 9:00 9:30 10:00 10:30 ABC 7:00 Local / 7:15 John Daley and the News Circus Boy Zorro The Real McCoys The Pat Boone Chevy Showroom O.S.S. Navy Log Local CBS 7:00 Local / 7:15 CBS Evening News Sgt. Preston of the Yukon Harbourmaster Climax!/Shower of Stars Playhouse 90 NBC Local Tic Tac Dough You Bet Your Life Dragnet The People's Choice The Ford Show Starring Tennessee Ernie Ford The Lux Show Starring Rosemary Clooney The Jane Wyman Show
    [edit] Friday

PM 7:00 7:30 8:00 8:30 9:00 9:30 10:00 10:30 ABC 7:00 Local / 7:15 John Daley and the News The Adventures of Rin Tin Tin The Adventures of Jim Bowie The Patrice Munsel Show The Frank Sinatra Show Date with the Angels Colt .45 Local CBS 7:00 Local / 7:15 CBS Evening News Leave It To Beaver Trackdown Dick Powell's Zane Grey Theater Mr. Adams and Eve Schlitz Playhouse The Lineup Person to Person NBC Local Saber of London Court of Last Resort The Life of Riley M Squad The Thin Man 10:00 Gillette Cavalcade of Sports / 10:45 Red Barber's Corner
    [edit] Saturday

PM 7:00 7:30 8:00 8:30 9:00 9:30 10:00 10:30 ABC Local Keep It In The Family Country Music Jubilee Lawrence Welk's Dancing Party The Mike Wallace Interview Local CBS Local Perry Mason Dick and the Duchess The Gale Storm Show Have Gun — Will Travel Gunsmoke Local NBC Local People Are Funny The Perry Como Show The Polly Bergen Show/Club Oasis The Gisele MacKenzie Show What's It For? Your Hit Parade
    Last edited by PrincessY; 01-19-2008 at 12:21 PM.

• Delawarean Girl

Interested in knowing about "DuMont". I have nevered heard of that.

• And, THEN she said...

Quote Originally Posted by Hayley B View Post
    Interested in knowing about "DuMont". I have nevered heard of that.
    did some digging just now and this is what I found out about it:

DuMont Television Network

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Jump to: navigation, search
    DuMont Television NetworkTypeBroadcast television networkCountry United StatesAvailability DefunctFounderDr. Allen B. DuMontKey peopleDr. Thomas T. Goldsmith
    Mortimer Loewi
    Ted Bergmann
    Lawrence Phillips
    Chris Witting
    Don McGannon
    James Caddigan
    Paul RaibournLaunch dateAugust 15, 1946DissolvedAugust 6, 1956The DuMont Television Network[a] was the world's first commercial television network, beginning operation in the United States in 1946.[1] It was owned by DuMont Laboratories, a television equipment and set manufacturer. The network was hindered by the prohibitive cost of broadcasting, by Federal Communications Commission regulations which restricted the company's growth, and even by the company's partner, Paramount Pictures. Despite several innovations in broadcasting and the creation of one of television's biggest stars of the 1950s, the network never found itself on solid financial ground. Forced to expand on UHF channels during an era when UHF was not profitable, DuMont ceased broadcasting in 1956.
    DuMont's latter-day obscurity has prompted at least one notable TV historian to refer to it as the "Forgotten Network".[2] A few popular DuMont programs, such as Cavalcade of Stars and Emmy-award winner Life is Worth Living, appear in TV retrospectives or are mentioned briefly in books about U.S. television history, but almost all the network's programming was destroyed.

• Delawarean Girl

Thank you for looking up that information, Groomer. I have been looking at YouTube videos right now.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dtqQc2qi00s
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EqDcKI_urPA
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bQqrxFY0Ehs
    Last edited by Hayley B; 01-18-2008 at 08:34 PM.

• And, THEN she said...

Quote Originally Posted by Hayley B View Post
    Thank you looking up that information, Groomer. I have been looking at YouTube videos right now.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dtqQc2qi00s
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EqDcKI_urPA
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bQqrxFY0Ehs
    you are so welcome! I got curious my own self LOL now I have go watch the videos!

• Sock Puppet

Here is mine. i was born in 1985

Sunday
    PM7:007:308:008:309:009:3010:0010:30ABCRipley's Believe It or Not!MacGyverThe ABC Sunday Night MovieCBS60 MinutesMurder, She WroteCrazy Like a FoxTrapper John, M.D.NBCPunky BrewsterSilver SpoonsAmazing StoriesAlfred Hitchcock PresentsNBC Sunday Night at the Movies
    Note: On CBS, the CBS Sunday Night Movie also aired on Sunday nights at 9:00 p.m. in March 1986 through May 1986.

[edit] Monday

PM8:008:309:009:3010:0010:30ABCHardcastle and McCormickMonday Night FootballCBSScarecrow and Mrs. KingKate & AllieNewhartCagney & LaceyNBCTV's Bloopers & Practical JokesNBC Monday Night at the Movies
    Note: On NBC, the midseason replacement sitcom, You Again? aired on Monday nights from March 1986 through June 1986.

[edit] Tuesday

PM8:008:309:009:3010:0010:30ABCWho's the Boss?Growing PainsMoonlightingOur Family HonorCBSHometownCBS Tuesday Night MoviesNBCThe A-TeamRiptideRemington Steele

[edit] Wednesday

PM8:008:309:009:3010:0010:30ABCThe InsidersDynastyHotelCBSStir CrazyCharlie & Co.George Burns Comedy WeekThe EqualizerNBCHighway to HeavenHell TownSt. Elsewhere

[edit] Thursday

PM8:008:309:009:3010:0010:30ABCThe Fall GuyLady Blue20/20CBSMagnum, P.I.Simon and SimonKnots LandingNBCThe Cosby ShowFamily TiesCheersNight CourtHill Street Blues

[edit] Friday

PM8:008:309:009:3010:0010:30ABCWebsterMr. BelvedereDiff'rent StrokesBensonSpenser: For HireCBSThe Twilight ZoneDallasFalcon CrestNBCKnight RiderMisfits of ScienceMiami Vice

[edit] Saturday

PM8:008:309:009:3010:0010:30ABCHollywood BeatLime StreetThe Love BoatCBSAirwolfThe CBS Saturday Night MoviesNBCGimme a Break!The Facts of LifeThe Golden Girls227Hunter

• ...is fading out....

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Aladdin View Post
    Excellent Aladdin. Thank you for this!

• Still lost in Neverland

Year Born: 1942
    TV's Available: 0
    So nothing for me until around 1948. I watched the original Beany and Cecil puppet show. Howdy Doody. Spade Cooley. Harry Owens and his Royal Hawaiians. Wrestling. Roller Derby. Engineer Bill. Sheriff John. Your Show of Shows. Milton Berle. Red Skelton. and so on through the 1950's. Then TV got commercialized and all the great shows were gone.
    Peter Pan Forever!!! I Will Never Grow Up.

Thank You Poisonedapples

• ...is fading out....

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Lost Boy View Post
    Year Born: 1942
    TV's Available: 0
    So nothing for me until around 1948. I watched the original Beany and Cecil puppet show. Howdy Doody. Spade Cooley. Harry Owens and his Royal Hawaiians. Wrestling. Roller Derby. Engineer Bill. Sheriff John. Your Show of Shows. Milton Berle. Red Skelton. and so on through the 1950's. Then TV got commercialized and all the great shows were gone.
    Interesting - no TV's - can you even begin to imagine? Actually, there were TV's.........but not terribly common - and pricey. My Grandmother moved to Hollywood in 1945 - and she bought a TV (blonde wood she said it was).

Here's something a bit off topic, but my brother and his wife and son just moved into a Spanish Colonial home built in 1875. And we were moving some stuff in and I said "Mikey - where are you going to put the TV? There doesn't seem to be a place for it." Then it dawned on us - there were no TV's in 1875, so there would not have been a wall or area designated for one in the design of the home.

• Still lost in Neverland

Well that's what I meant. I didn't even see a TV in our neighborhood until sometime in the late 40's when one neighbor bought one and every Tuesday night we would gather at there house for Spade Cooley, Harry Owens and Wrestling match or Roller Derby. We brought pop corn and sodas and they provided the TV. It was a gathering place for the families with kids and we had a great time.

It wasn't until some time in the 1950's that my dad decided that TV was going to stay and he went to Sears and got a combo set. It had a record player (78, 45 and 33 1/3 speeds) in a pull out drawer in the bottom, a 12" black and white (no color sets were on the market yet) and a radio (AM & FM bands). It stood about 5 feet tall and about 4 feet square. It wasn't until the 60's we got our first color set.

The first show I ever saw in the color was Howdy Doody in the window of a hardware store over on Western Avenue. They had one in the window and every Saturday morning they would put on Howdy Doody on NBC and the kids would stand around the window and watch the show. I was shocked when I first saw it. I had only seen Howdy Doody in Black and White and I just always assumed that Buffalo Bob wore a brown and biege buckskin shirt because that's what it looked like on a black and white TV. I couldn't believe my eyes when he came out in a bright blue and dark blue buckskin outfit. One of the first big shocks of my early life. I ran all the way home to tell my parents about it, and their reaction was less than I had expected. Another big shock. My parents life didn't revolve around the TV like mine did.
    Peter Pan Forever!!! I Will Never Grow Up.

Thank You Poisonedapples

Overall Top Fifteen: (1967-68) _1. Lucy Show / 2. Andy Griffith / 3. Gomer Pyle / 4. Gunsmoke / 5. Family Affair / 6. Bonanza / 7. Red Skelton / 8. Dean Martin / 9. Jackie Gleason / 10. Saturday Night Movies / 11. Bewitched / 12. Beverly Hillbillies / 13. Ed Sullivan / 14. The Virginian / 15. Green Acres

Children 6 - 11 Top Ten: _1. Flying Nun / 2. Second Hundred Years / 3. Family Affair / 4. Monkees / 5. Gomer Pyle / 6. Bewitched / 7. Beverly Hillbillies / 8. Gentle Ben / 9. Off to See the Wizard / 10. Walt Disney

Teens 12-17 Top Ten: _1. Guns of Will Sonnett / 2. Second Hundred Years / 3. Monkees / 4. Star Trek / 5. Smothers Brothers / 6. Flying Nun / 7. Saturday Movies / 8. I Spy / 9. Dragnet / 10. Family Affair
    18-34 Top Ten: _1. Saturday Movies / 2. Friday Movies / 3. Thursday Movies / 4. Wed Movies / 5. Mission: Impossible / 6. Tuesday Movies / 7. Dean Martin / 8. I Spy / 9. Sunday Movies / 10. High Chapparral _(Keep in mind that there was no such thing as renting movies in 1968, the whole idea that you could see a movie in your own home - in color - was revolutionary at the time.)

• This is my car, Stitch :)

Rancho Cucamonga, California, United States

Since I was born in the middle of the fall '82 Season (Jan. '83) I'll post that.

Monday
    ABC - That's Incredible! from 8PM & Monday Night Football from 9-11PM
    CBS - Square Pegs 8PM, Private Benjamin 8:30PM, M*A*S*H* 9PM, Newhart 9:30PM, & Cagney and Lacey 10PM
    NBC - Little House: A New Beginning 8PM & Monday Night at the Movies 9-11PM

Tuesday
    ABC - Happy Days 8PM, Laverne & Shirley 8:30, Three's Company 9PM, 9 to 5 9:30PM, and Hart to Hart 10PM
    CBS - Bring 'Em Back Alive 8PM, and CBS Tuesday Night Movie from 9-11PM
    NBC - Father Murphy at 8, Gavilan at 9, & St. Elsewhere at 10PM

Wednesday
    ABC - Tales of the Gold Monkey 8PM, The Fall Guy 9PM, & Dynasty 10PM
    CBS - Seven Brides for Seven Brothers 8PM, Alice 9PM, Filthy Rich 9:30PM, Tucker's Witch 10PM
    NBC - Real People 8PM, The Facts of Life 9PM, Family Ties 9:30PM, & Quincy, M.E. at 10PM

Thursday
    ABC - Joanie Loves Chachi 8PM, Star of the Family 8:30PM, Too Close for Comfort 9PM, It Takes Two 9:30PM, 20/20 10PM
    CBS - Magnum, P.I. 8PM, Simon & Simon 9PM, Knots Landing 10PM
    NBC - Fame 8PM, Cheers 9PM, Taxi 9:30PM, Hill Street Blues 10PM

Friday
    ABC - Benson 8PM, The New Odd Couple 8:30PM, The Greatest American Hero 9PM, The Quest! 10PM
    CBS - The Dukes of Hazzard 8PM, Dallas 9PM, Falcon Crest 10PM
    NBC - The Powers of Matthew Star 8PM, Knight Rider 9PM, Remington Steele 10PM

Saturday
    ABC - T.J. Hooker 8PM, Love Boat 9PM, Fantasy Island 10PM
    CBS - Walt Disney 8PM, CBS Saturday Night Movies 9-11PM
    NBC - Diff'rent Strokes 8PM, Silver Spoons 8:30PM, Gimme a Break 9PM, Love, Sidney 9:30PM, & The Devlin Connection 10PM

Sunday
    ABC - Ripley's Believe It or Not! 7PM, Matt Houston 8PM, The ABC Sunday Night Movie 9-11PM
    CBS - 60 Minutes 7PM, Archie Bunker's Place 8PM, Gloria 8:30PM, The Jeffersons 9PM, One Day at a Time 9:30PM, Trapper John, M.D. 10PM
    NBC - Voyagers! 7PM, CHiPs 8PM, NBC Sunday Night at the Movies 9-11PM

• Angel Fan MC Man

Blog Entries

Born June of 56...the top shows of 56-57.

I Love Lucy
    CBS

The Ed Sullivan Show
    CBS

General Electric Theater
    CBS

The $64,000 Question
    CBS

December Bride
    CBS

Alfred Hitchcock Presents
    CBS

I've Got a Secret (tie)
    CBS

Gunsmoke (tie)
    CBS

The Perry Como Show
    NBC

The Jack Benny Program
    CBS

Dragnet
    NBC

Arthur Godfrey's Talent Scouts
    CBS

The Millionaire (tie)
    CBS

Disneyland (tie)
    ABC

Shower of Stars
    CBS

The Lineup
    CBS

The Red Skelton Show
    CBS

You Bet Your Life
    NBC

The Life and Legend of Wyatt Earp
    ABC

Private Secretary
    CBS

Notes...it was the last season for I Love Lucy, while the Sullivan show was just taking off and Gunsmoke had almost 20 years left to run! Walt Disney's "Disneyland" aired Wednesday night at 7:30, and I read that this season included a show about the Jungle Cruise, before the jokes were added to the attraction. I later watched Skelton's show as a kid growing up. What a tremendous talent he was. To say nothing, of course, of Groucho Marx and "You Bet Your Life". By the way, it was in this time frame that Walt Disney made an appearance as the "mystery guest" on CBS's What's My Line - reruns of which are still shown periodically on the GSN Network.

--Barry

PS...I grew up in SoCal, so we had more channels than a lot of areas when I was a kid. There was KNXT (now KCBS-TV) Ch. 2 (CBS), KNBC Ch.4 (NBC) KTLA Ch. 5 (Independent, with lots of roller derby, car races, wrestling and boxing)...KABC-TV Ch.7 (ABC)...KHJ-TV Ch.9 Independent with the "Million Dollar Movie" and "Chiller" and "Thriller" horror shows...KTTV Ch. 11 (Independent with Sheriff John!) and KCOP Ch. 13 (without much of note I can remember except Hal Linker's Travelogue shows).
    Last edited by Radiobarry; 01-22-2008 at 11:24 PM.
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

• BellhopPrincess's Mama

This is some of what was in production when I was born in the late 60s:

The Dating Game and The Newlywed Game were ABC primetime shows in 1968.
    "
    Lest some of us forget, both these ABC hits started as daytime shows; Dating Game in late 1965, Newlywed Game a few months later. Both established themselves as daytime hits. So much so that when one of ABC's fall sitcoms was tanking in the ratings in early 1967, Dating Game went primetime as a midseason replacement. Newlywed Game followed Dating Game to primetime later that year. Both stayed in primetime until the early '70s, but continued in daytime for a few more years." - Steve Byrd
    Don Rickles bombs in his own show Friday nights at 9:00 (leveling insults at a studio audience), guests included Joey Bishop, Regis Philbin, Pat McCormick. Vic Mizzy conducted the orchestra.
    Here Come the Brides starring Bobby Sherman and David Soul debuts for a two-year run.
    The Good Guys starring Herb Edleman and Bob Denver begins a two year run. Denver felt cheated that he wasn't getting substantial residuals from Gilligan's Island so he had part ownership in this series - but The Good Guys proved a flop in syndication. During the second season, the show moved to the beach to be more 'Gilligan'-like.
    :CANCELED:
    The Summer Brothers Smothers Show (starring Glen Campbell) was the summer replacement series for The Smothers Brothers Comedy Hour in 1968. The Smothers were fired by CBS the next year but the Glen Campbell hour (produced by Tommy Smothers) clicked and continued on.

Glen Campbell was brought back in early 1969. The Glen Campbell Goodtime Hour, with many of the same writers and production personnel as the Smothers' shows, was a hit (but without Tommy, he was suing CBS).

Also the final year for The Wild Wild West, Peyton Place, Jonathan Winters Show, The Avengers, Felony Squad, Gomer Pyle, Jerry Lewis Show, Judd For The Defense, Gentle Ben and Daktari.

Program Profile
    The Big Valley
    Monday nights at 10:00
    ABC / 1966-1969

Originally known as 'The Saga of the Big Valley', the title was changed at the last minute.
    Starring Barbara Stanwyck as the widowed matriarch of the Barkley clan, living in the Sacramento Valley following the Civil War. "I'm just playing Lorne Green in a Mother Hubbard" was Stanwyck's take on her character. All-star cast featured Richard Long ('Nanny and the Professor'), Peter Breck ('The Secret Empire'), Lee Majors ('6 Million Dollar Man'),and Linda Evans ('Dynasty'). Generally more talk than action. 1968-69 was the last season, westerns were no longer as popular as they once were.

Program Profile
    The Mothers-in-Law
    Sunday nights at 8:30
    NBC / 1967-1969

The Mothers-in-Law' starred Kaye Ballard as Kay Buell and Eve Arden as Eve Hubbard, two longtime next-door neighbors who become in-laws when their kids marry. Roger Carmel co-starred as Kay's husband Roger and Herbert Rudley played Eve's husband Herb.
    The Hubbards were respectable and highbrow - Eve Hubbard was the country club housewife-type and her husband Herb an uptight lawyer. Roger and Kay Buell, on the other hand, were a little more way out.
    Roger was a television comedy writer that worked at home and Kay was a loudmouth, lazy housewife. They were also Italian, which led to lots of ethnic jokes (since Italians were the only nationality in the 60s with enough of a sense of humor not to complain about it).
    Jerry and Susie, the newlywed kids (that lived in a garage apartment behind the homes), were played by Jerry Fogel and Deborah Walley. 1968-69 was the second and last season.

1968 will be
    remembered for:

Debut season for Adam-12, Lancer, Here Come The Brides, Julia, The Name of the Game, The Ghost And Mrs. Muir, The Mod Squad, and The Doris Day Show.

The CBS News magazine 60 Minutes started out with small audience numbers, low expectations and an irregular schedule - but it is still running on CBS and getting top ten ratings today.
    A look at NBC's Tuesday Night Lineup.
    FLOPS:
    The Beautiful Phyllis Diller Show, Blondie (if Batman was a hit, why not Blondie, right?), That's Life, Journey Into The Unknown and The Outcasts.
    MiceChatMama
    (mom of BellhopPrincess)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12