• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

BANZAI INSTITUTE for Biomedical Engineering and Strategic Information

Nickelodeon 21st annual Kids Choice Awards

Kids Choice Awards announces nominees

AP
    She's all that: Miley Cyrus is just behind Shrek the Third with the most nominations.

By John Rogers
    Associated Press

LOS ANGELES — A big green ogre elbowed aside Miley Cyrus — but just barely — in the race to secure the most nominations for the Nickelodeon cable network's 21st annual Kids Choice Awards.

The film Shrek The Third received a leading four nominations, including one for favorite animated movie. The other three were for favorite voice from an animated movie. They went to Mike Meyers as Shrek, Cameron Diaz as Shrek's wife, Fiona, and Eddie Murphy as Shrek's loyal sidekick, Donkey.

Pop superstar Cyrus was a force all her own, being nominated for favorite female singer and favorite female actress while her television show Hannah Montana received a favorite TV show nomination. The 15-year-old star won the favorite TV actress award last year.

Jack Black, who hosted the Kids Choice Awards two years ago, is returning for this year's March 29 broadcast.

The show, at which awards presentations are almost secondary to raucous appearances by celebrities and the wait to see who among them gets doused in gooey green slime, will be broadcast live on the Nickelodeon cable channel. Viewers can go online beginning March 3 to cast their votes for nominees.

The following is a complete list of nominees:
    http://www.usatoday.com/life/televis...e-awards_N.htm
    "If you don't know how to draw, you don't belong in this building" - John Lasseter 2006

• Waiting for my E-Ticket

Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota

Re: Nickelodeon 21st annual Kids Choice Awards

21st?!

Damn I feel old. I remember the first one.

• Circle of Ancients

I think it's funny that Jamie Lynn Spears is nominated.

I hope she wins so she can get up in front of all those girls and explain why her belly is so big.

• Waiting for my E-Ticket

Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota

^^

• Shablagoo!

Quote Originally Posted by sir clinksalot View Post
    I think it's funny that Jamie Lynn Spears is nominated.

I hope she wins so she can get up in front of all those girls and explain why her belly is so big.

"This is what happens when you eat too much cake and watch too much TV. Get outside and get active!"

• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

Nick, Disney share talent, exposure

Kids Choice Awards to feature Miley Cyrus

By Michael Schneider
    Variety
    Posted: Wed., Mar. 26, 2008, 6:00pm PT

SHARING THE SPOTLIGHT:
    Disney Channel MVP Miley Cyrus will join
    Nick's Drake Bell and Josh Peck at the KCAs.

For one night only, auds will have to flip to Nickelodeon in order to catch Disney Channel superstar Miley Cyrus.

The "Hannah Montana" sensation is booked to headline Nick's Kids' Choice Awards -- and is nominated for two of the youth-centric kudofest's honors (with a third nom going to the show itself). What's more, Cyrus and "Hannah Montana" are far from the only Disney Channel staples set to infiltrate their TV rival when Nick broadcasts the annual event Saturday.

As the competition between Disney and Nick for tween eyeballs continues to heat up on the airwaves, the battleground has made its way to the KCAs.

"We're all about showcasing kids' entertainment favorites," says Paula Kaplan, Nickelodeon's executive veepee for talent and West Coast g.m. "Miley is smack dab in that category. It's not about whether she's a Disney star or a Nick star. She's an enormous brand for kids right now."

However friendly things might be on KCA night, to some extent it's an awkward position for both cablers to be in. For Nick, it's an opportunity to steal away one of the biggest superstars in kiddom, at least for an evening. But it also means serving as a bit of a marketing platform for a rival net's superstar.

For Disney, it means allowing the competish to score big ratings and ad dollars thanks in part to the appearance of your marquee talent. But it also means being able to infiltrate the competish, and in a way co-opt an awards-show brand that rival Nick has cultivated for two decades.

"If I had to guess, I'm thinking Nickelodeon execs are throwing their hands up and saying, 'It is what it is,' " says a Disney insider. "I think they realize they don't have a choice. They clearly know this is a show that must showcase the favorites and most popular stars for the kid audience. ... We're proud that kids have clearly said that the Disney stars and shows are (among) their favorites."

This year's KCA TV nominees are almost a little too perfectly balanced, with two Nick stars vs. two Disney stars in the actor and actress categories, plus two entries from each channel in the TV show faceoff.
    Full article at:
    http://www.variety.com/index.asp?lay...d=VR1117982960
    "If you don't know how to draw, you don't belong in this building" - John Lasseter 2006

• Banned User

Well, the awards were awesome. In fear of spoiling it for everyone who hasn't seen it yet, I won't say anything else except that is was better than last year's...

• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

Miley Cyrus rocks Kids Choice

'Montana' gal takes home two trophies

By Associated Press
    via Variety
    Posted: Sun., Mar. 30, 2008, 9:22am PT

It was the best of both worlds at Saturday's Kids Choice Awards for Miley Cyrus,
    who took home trophies for favorite female singer and TV actress.

It was the best of both worlds at Saturday's Kids Choice Awards for Miley Cyrus, who took home trophies for favorite female singer and TV actress and rocked the show with a spirited performance of her hit song, "GNO - Girls Night Out."

It was also a slime spectacle for the Nickelodeon children's television network, which broadcast the 21st annual show live from UCLA's Pauley Pavilion in front of 10,000 screaming fans, almost all of them teens and preteens.

Akon crashed a dune buggy into giant containers of Nickelodeon's trademark green slime, Usher blasted a sumo wrestler several yards with slime fired from a cannon and supermodel Heidi Klum, attached to a bungee cord and wearing a specially equipped "butt spike belt," flung herself into a wall covered with slime-filled balloons.

"Don't try this at home," boxer Laila Ali said as Usher turned the cannon on the sumo wrestler.

The slime stunts and other assorted foolishness - which included a soundtrack of celebrities burping as an instrumental version of the Village People song "YMCA" played in the background - took up so much time that presenters never got around to announcing three awards.

In the categories that were announced, teen heartthrob Drake Bell was another double winner, collecting his third consecutive orange blimp-shaped trophy for favorite TV actor and another for favorite TV show for "Drake and Josh."

"Drake and Josh" upset Cyrus' hit program "Hannah Montana" in the TV show category.

Other winners were Eddie Murphy for favorite voice from an animated movie for "Shrek The Third," "American Idol" for favorite reality show and, one of the biggest crowd favorites of the night, the Jonas Brothers for favorite music group. The ever-polite Jonas Brothers each offered brief thank-yous. Chris Brown won for favorite male singer.

Ryan Seacreast accepted the reality show award saying he looked forward to presenting it to "two of the three" of the show's judges.

Cyrus, in a black dress with silver spangles, thanked several people, including her mother, father, agent, manager "and my lord and savior Jesus Christ."

She returned a few minutes later to perform her song, and had a camera crew scampering to get out of the way when she charged into the audience, microphone in hand.
    Awards are voted on by people who cast their ballots at Nickelodeon's Web site, with voting continuing until the day of the show.

The show's host, Jack Black, announced that 88 million votes were cast this year, more than twice last year's record number of 40 million.

The show concluded with Black and Orlando Bloom sitting in chairs high above the audience being drenched with what Black claimed was 27 million gallons of green slime.
    http://www.variety.com/awardcentral_...ryid=1983&cs=1

• Sock Puppet

Quote Originally Posted by Melonballer View Post
    "This is what happens when you eat too much cake and watch too much TV. Get outside and get active!"

• keep moving forward...

I kinda wish that the audience got slimed a little more, other then that a pretty good show, Jack Black really kept up the energy. It was nice to see that Drake and Josh won favorite show for they're last season, and that the entire cast got to accept the award. I wish that they had extended the show by thirty minutes in order to actually announce the rest of the awards, instead of having them as little blurbs at the bottom of the screen. The guy who voices spongebob really did a great job announcing.

• Banned User

I'm kinda fuming over the fact Avatar beat Spongebob in favorite cartoon, but maybe it's a sign that Nick needs to retire the little gold nugget before he really does start to fall in ratings. Same thing happened to Rugrats in 2002.

• keep moving forward...

Well he is getting on in years, can you guys believe that the show premiered after kids choice awards 1999!?!, I was ten years old and remember thinking that it wasnt going to last, that it either wouldnt get an audience, or that something simmilar to what happened to Ren and Stimpy would happen. I think that the show has had a decline after the movie really, the movie was the perfect place to end the series, I think that the end of the movie really embodied what Nickelodeon is all about, keeping the kid in all of us, and that really made the ending perfect. The movies moral was presented in a hillarious way, but it still managed to get the message across. I still dont get the appeal of avatar, mostly because my schedule is so unpredictable, and the show is one of those where you have to watch every episode because it is a continuous story. I agree about the rugrats too, they probably should have stopped after kimi was introduced, the new season was fun but it just wasnt the same.

• Sock Puppet

i agree

• my two sunshines

I liked watching the audience - Brenden Fraser (when the Jonas Bros went onstage) all the girls were screaming and they panned to Fraser and he was screaming - it was a riot! I always like the kids awards shows but I have to keep telling myself it's kids voting, especially when I see some of the winners - my daughter and I were trying to guess what Miley Cyrus's back up band is saying during her song like 'I played with Santana just to get this gig?' or 'I gotta pretend to rock out on these songs, I think Alice Cooper is laughing at me right now, boy I remember the good ole days' LOL

• Shablagoo!

So Avatar won? Excellent. It is a terrific show. I just wish they would get it on a regular schedule and show new episodes.