Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• Circle of Ancients

Television Milestones: According to MiceChat

This is the thread to share your favorite moments from television, both past and present. Share milestones that you remember. What do you think was the greatest milestone in television history? Was there anything groundbreaking that you remember from television shows gone by? Share it all here. From "I Love Lucy" to "The Sopranos", share your favorites here.

• Angel Fan MC Man

Blog Entries

Re: Television Milestones: According to MiceChat

Just a few that come to mind immediately...Lucy "expecting" - couldn't say pregnant, you know...

Almost every episode of the Dick Van Dyke Show, especially "Coast to Coast Big Mouth" when Laura reveals that Alan Brady (Carl Reiner) is bald. The scene in Alan's office - priceless.

Certainly "All In The Family" was a groundbreaking series in many ways....especially the episode where Sammy Davis, Jr. comes to visit and plants a kiss on Archie as he's going out the door.

I think "Monday Night Football" changed the culture to some degree, especially when Dandy Don and Howard Cosell were still around.

More to come I'm sure...
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

• Angel Fan MC Man

Blog Entries

From the "news division"...early on....the coverage of JFK's assassination, all the tragic events of 1968, and then, on July 20, 1969, television took us to the moon when Neil Armstrong set foot on the lunar surface.
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

• Roller Coaster Aficionado

This was bound to post sooner or later but.. how about the live opening of Disneyland with Walt Disney, Art Linkletter, Bob Cummings, and Ronald Reagan. Unfortunately I didn't see it live because I was not exactly alive yet, but when it aired on live TV it was still a milestone nonetheless.

• Circle of Ancients

Quote Originally Posted by Radiobarry View Post

Almost every episode of the Dick Van Dyke Show, especially "Coast to Coast Big Mouth" when Laura reveals that Alan Brady (Carl Reiner) is bald. The scene in Alan's office - priceless.
    One of my favorite episodes from the show! Dick Van Dyke is one of my favorite comedians and his television show was one of the best of all time.

•   
    • Dept. 41 and Club 55

My childhood ended the day I found out Prince Adam and He-man are in fact the same person.

•   
    • I <3 o

The finale of M*A*S*H, the most watched television episode in history
    Is this haunted signature
    actually
    stretching?

Or is it your imagination, hmm?
    Rockin' Lady Adelade of Random
    also known as...
    Dominatrix of Randomness

• Iron-Clad Allie

The Beatles appearances on the Ed Sullivan Show in the mid 60s. Nothing will ever top that - other than the first manned moon landing.
    To Boldly Go Where No MiceChatter Has Gone Before!

• Shablagoo!

Let's see. The wedding of Luke and Laura on General Hospital in the early 80's. I remember watching it with my mom.

The debut of Batman: the Animated Series on September 9th 1992. One of the best series of all time.

The Debut of Ducktales on September 18, 1987. The start of the Disney Afternoon.

•   
    • Chicago Gal

Blog Entries

I grew up with black and white television, so I would say a milestone for me was when my parents bought their first color set. My dad had control of the television, of course. I remember when the Beatles were scheduled for Ed Sullivan. We wern't sure our dad was going to let us watch it. We were all excited. Naturally, they kept us waiting, and it was the last thing on the program. My dad didn't understand what the fuss was all about.

I always liked to watch the shuttle launches. I remember watching Walter Cronkite, and the moon landing. He was choked up, and so was I. My husband's grandmother, who lived to be 95, always said that was staged, and didn't really happen.

I always liked when the Olympics were shown live. I remember watching the US Hockey Team taking the Gold. The country was on a real high after that event.

Presidential Conventions. I remember my mom saying, that the people really like this John F Kennedy person. The convention was on, and I remember all the signs from all the states.

I was in High School when John F Kennedy was assasinated. The day he was shot, I remember the announcement made in school. We were watching television when they were showing Lee Harvey Oswald. They showed Jack Ruby shooting Oswald. That's a sight, I won't soon forget.

War on television. When the United States was in Viet Nam, it was a nightly thing on the news.

• Angel Fan MC Man

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Aura of Foreboding View Post
    One of my favorite episodes from the show! Dick Van Dyke is one of my favorite comedians and his television show was one of the best of all time.
    No argument here. But my least favorite episode is a favorite of many - the nightmare involving walnuts.

Quote Originally Posted by Ride Warrior View Post
    The Beatles appearances on the Ed Sullivan Show in the mid 60s. Nothing will ever top that - other than the first manned moon landing.
    I saw it live...was eight years old..and have the DVD set of the Beatle appearances on the Sullivan show which is complete with the commercials of that time...a total of four different shows. I still get chills.

Quote Originally Posted by Melonballer View Post
    The debut of Batman: the Animated Series on September 9th 1992. One of the best series of all time.
    I'd go with Batman, the campy TV classic with Adam West - a huge hit in the 60's.

Quote Originally Posted by Barbaraann View Post

I always liked when the Olympics were shown live. I remember watching the US Hockey Team taking the Gold. The country was on a real high after that event.
    And another sad milestone...after the Israeli team was kidnapped and eventually killed in 1972, Jim McKay turning to the camera and saying....it's all over, they're all gone now.

And of the great physical gestures by a newscaster, ever...when Walter Cronkite was handed the bulletin that it was official, that President Kennedy had died, he takes off his glasses, pauses a moment, and puts them back on.

--Barry

• Circle of Ancients

Quote Originally Posted by Radiobarry View Post
    No argument here. But my least favorite episode is a favorite of many - the nightmare involving walnuts.

--Barry
    I must confess I do sort of like the Danny Thomas Walnut episode. It was unique. Rob's lettuce-head was far better though, and the bunnies episode was even better.

• Angel Fan MC Man

Blog Entries

I believe it is said that the walnut episode evolved into the concept of Mork from Ork on "Happy Days" and later on to the spin-off "Mork and Mindy" - the rest is history for Robin Williams.

• Angel Fan MC Man

Blog Entries

And in August 1974, I watched President Richard Nixon's resignaton speech...on the television while on my dinner break inside Disneyland's main employees cafeteria, the "Inn Between".

• Man O Lantern

Quote Originally Posted by Melonballer View Post
    Let's see. The wedding of Luke and Laura on General Hospital in the early 80's. I remember watching it with my mom.
    Me too. That was my first most memorable TV event.

I remember my parents making my sister and me watch the MASH finale with them. God that was such a big deal! My mom cried, my dad was sad.

The Cheers finale. That was the first series finale that I really cared about. And the Newhart finale. Didn't love the surprise Suzanne Pleshette ending, but I thought it was fun.

The Dallas "It was all a dream" episode was devastating to me. I was the only person in my family that watched Dallas, so the "Nooooooo!" scream that came from the family room was a mystery to everyone.

I remember watching a lunar landing on a TV at school in second grade....not sure what the event was.

I remember when Rock Hudson died and watching endless TV shows about him and AIDS.

When Challenger crashed. Again, devastating. We all had to go to our homerooms and watch a live broadcast about it. It was really quiet all day.

When Greg Louganis hit his head on the diving board during the 88 Olympics. I remember almost crying.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast