Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• Angel Fan MC Man

Blog Entries

Cable TV Channels That Just Aren't The Same Any More

They are far too numerous to mention them all, but you know which ones I'm talking about.

Just some examples off the top of my balding yet still soakin' head...

Remember when TLC was actually "The Learning Channel" when is started?

"TNN" - The Nashville Network" turned "The National Network" turned, invisible?

Remember when A&E was the "Arts and Entertainment" Channel?

Remember Classic Sports? Which became "ESPN Classic"?
    What's so classic about 2007 World Series of Poker episodes?

Finally, the last straw. Nick At Nite decided that it would create its own network, TV Land, for the old classics so many of use loved. They even showed retro TV commercials at first.

Well, now they're showing 1980's movies, and starting in March...their own reality show...High School Reunion...where the former classmates graduated in, golly gee, way back in - 1988.

How classic, is that.

Any thoughts...
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

• Winter in Oceanside...

Re: Cable TV Channels That Just Aren't The Same Any More

AMC. American Movie Classics. Since when are Throw Momma from the Train, The Terminator, or Hope Floats classics?? I mourn the loss of the real AMC.

• Circle of Ancients

Just to name a few: The Disney Channel, TV Land, AMC, TNT, Nickeldeon, Nick at Nite...

But there are tons. I really want to see more channels show good old classic television shows and cartoons.

• My cuties!

Quote Originally Posted by PrincessY View Post
    AMC. American Movie Classics. Since when are Throw Momma from the Train, The Terminator, or Hope Floats classics?? I mourn the loss of the real AMC.
    I used to love AMC.

• Minion

What really gets me about AMC is they edit movies like crazy, cut them to bits.

I really like TCM because they keep the films pure. If there is something controversial like language or race issues they have an advisory but the movie remains whole
    ďAny sequel three or higher..... around number five they get a new cast, thatís when the magic really happens": Modern Family

• Banned User

Disney Channel is the one that burns me the most. It used to be that you could catch old Disney animated shorts or old Disneyland specials and such. Now it's nothing but empty, soulless tween crap. Blech...

• Circle of Ancients

Quote Originally Posted by tiggerfan View Post

I really like TCM because they keep the films pure. If there is something controversial like language or race issues they have an advisory but the movie remains whole
    TCM is the best, especially at Halloween.

• Hall Of Promise

I think Discovery Channel has changed but changed for the better. Before all the channel spin-offs it used to be all about nature and science, which isn't bad at all. I loved those nature shows ... As the lioness stalks its pray .... Loved it.

Now that they spun all its usual shows to their other networks, where they later died, Discovery Channel is putting on shows I love even more than those nature shows. Now it seems like they have a channel that focuses on their former shows, such as TLC, Animal Planet, Travel Channel, Science Channel (formally Discovery Science Channel), Military Channel (formally Discovery Wings Channel), and all the other channels.

Remember when E! Entertainment was more about luxury findings, fashion, exotic locations and travel among entertainment news? Now it's like tabloids on TV, where they moved all their other stuff to its sister network. I'm glad Disney sold its stake since this channel is turning into trash, except Talk Soup, that show is great!

G4 is a recent one to change from a channel all about video games to another channel for the guys.

Even Starz! Movie channel changed from being 100% movies or movie related news shows to having original program series. They still mostly focus on movies but no longer can they say they are showing nothing but movies.

MTV is always changing, for the worse I think. Even MTV2 has changed. MTV2 was created to be nothing but music videos since MTV failed to do that. Now even MTV2 is pretty much a repeat of what MTV is.

• Clearing my Calendar

Quote Originally Posted by Radiobarry View Post
    Remember when TLC was actually "The Learning Channel" when is started?

"TNN" - The Nashville Network" turned "The National Network" turned, invisible?
    TLC is the one that irks me the most - my husband and I often talk about that change. It started to go down hill around the time Trading Spaces took off like a rocket.

Isn't TNN now Spike? The only thing I'm thankful for on that channel is Star Trek!

Discovery really was lagging for a long time but seems to be doing at least a little better lately. I do tune in at least two or three times a month for their specials. That's up from never tuning in at all.

History has died for me as well. I usually find myself depending on History International for the types of shows I like. Every now and then the regular History channel will have something other than Civil War or WWII. I've noticed that it's taken a UFO turn.

I don't often think of the Disney channel when I think of these changes because it's just so ingrained in me that there's no going back to the way things once were. At least on the other channels there's hope.
    "But every night, when it gets dark
    and the stars come out,
    I'll look up on her behalf.
    I'll look up in the sky and think of you."

I remember when you bought cable because almost none of the channels had commercials on them. That was one of the major selling points of cable back then: Commercial Free.

And we all know how that has ended up.

• Golden State of Mind

here we go with the disney channel stuff.
    Marquis d'Bod of the RCMC... always and forever

•   
      MiceChat Senior Moderator
    • Jester of Randomness

Trying to keep it light and fluffy since '05...
    Blog Entries

Yes! And TMC still shows a lot of the OLD OLD movies, the old black and white ones from the 30's and 40's that I like to watch!

Quote Originally Posted by TraceCub View Post
    Isn't TNN now Spike? The only thing I'm thankful for on that channel is Star Trek!
    That and CSI!

History has died for me as well. I usually find myself depending on History International for the types of shows I like. Every now and then the regular History channel will have something other than Civil War or WWII. I've noticed that it's taken a UFO turn.
    My husband is a big history buff and usually loves those channels. And as interested as he is in UFO's, I think even he's getting tired of them, and can't find much to watch on any of the history channels anymore.

Help me get more security in Pingvinivlle! Click here!

Quote Originally Posted by AGhostFromThePast
    all you need to know about the mommy stick is.. out of all the bad things that could happen to you... it's right between wetting yourself and death.

• Senior Minion

ABC Family.

I'm sorry, but half the stuff they air is not family-friendly. While I love that they are starting to air some Disney films and still airing re-runs of Gilmore Girls, their programming is going down the drain - fast.
    Press today is so concerned with cool vs. not cool that they're starting to forget good vs. bad. I'm not sure I'll ever be "cool", but I will always tirelessly strive to be "great". - Josh Groban

• Circle of Ancients

Quote Originally Posted by PrincessY View Post
    Terminator I can kind of see. But yeah. hope floats, Catwoman, Dante's Peak (that we were watching today) ... NOT classics.

Totally agreed. TCM is better. Never thought I'd say that about a Ted Turner channel.

Quote Originally Posted by Joshrzmeup View Post
    ABC Family.

I'm sorry, but half the stuff they air is not family-friendly. While I love that they are starting to air some Disney films and still airing re-runs of Gilmore Girls, their programming is going down the drain - fast.
    Also agreed here. Wildfire or whatever, NOT family. Some of the movies they show on there ... NOT family.

It's fine if they don't want to show family stuff, but they should drop the name and just call it ABC2 or something.

• Winter in Oceanside...

Quote Originally Posted by sir clinksalot View Post
    Terminator I can kind of see.
    We'll have to agree to disagree on this movie.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast