Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

• Circle of Ancients

Re: Will you be watching the Academy Awards this year?

Quote Originally Posted by Nancywitt View Post
    I am so happy the writers came to an agreement and ended the strike. I love the Oscars and am looking forward to all the glamour, especially since Johnny is nominated. I hope he shows up.

Every year me and my co-worker throw a big party at my house. We theme the food to the five nominated movies. It was tough going this year with the five that were nominated.

So, are you going to watch? And who do you think will win vs. who you want to win?
    I always watch the Academy Awards every year whether or not I have not seen any of the nominated films.

I have only seen Juno from the best picture category.

I really do hope to see Johnny this year. I haven't heard any rumors that he won't show up so this is good.

Nancy your party sounds like fun. It is hard to decide on theme this year. See it wouldn't be problem if Sweeney Todd is in the Best Picture category, then you could make Meat Pot Pies as an entree.

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Arizona's own

Blog Entries

I'll be recording it on the DVR since we will be driving home then.

• Man O Lantern

I always watch. It's for sure my Super Bowl! I don't miss a minute of it! Mmmmm, especially with Jon Stewart hosting. Yum.

I've seen all five top nominated movies and I hope No Country For Old Men wins. Or Juno. I really hope Michael Clayton doesn't win. Because it kinda stunk. And I think Atonement was only filmed in order to be nominated for awards. While watching I remember thinking, oh boy, they want some statues.

I'm still pouting about Into the Wild...not enough major nominations to please me. That was an amazing movie. And Hal Holbrook stole his scenes, bigtime. I'm shocked it didn't get a cinematography or adapted screenplay nomination.

I hope Atonement does win best score. It was beautiful and unique.

I love all five songs nominated for best song. Love them. I can't wait to see them performed. I hope Falling Slowly from Once wins.

• This is my car, Stitch :)

Rancho Cucamonga, California, United States

Out of all the best nominated films, I've only seen Juno. It was entertaining but to get nominated? I don't know about that. I wish Sweeney Todd would have been nominated instead.

• Waiting for my E-Ticket

Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota

Considering I haven't seen any of the films nominated..... no I won't be watching.

• Faith, Trust & Pixie dust

Quote Originally Posted by Ginarella View Post
    Nancy your party sounds like fun. It is hard to decide on theme this year. See it wouldn't be problem if Sweeney Todd is in the Best Picture category, then you could make Meat Pot Pies as an entree.
    I was so hoping Sweeney would be nominated just so I could serve meat pies! My local paper even did a story on meat pies and provided some recipes.

Quote Originally Posted by stinkerbell View Post
    I'm still pouting about Into the Wild...not enough major nominations to please me. That was an amazing movie. And Hal Holbrook stole his scenes, bigtime. I'm shocked it didn't get a cinematography or adapted screenplay nomination.
    That was surprising. There was such talk about Into the Wild early on, and then nothing came of it.

Looks like half the posters will be watching with full enjoyment while the other half will not be watching or couldn't care much either way. I know ABC was real anxious for the strike to be over so they could air the full Oscars. It may not get too many viewers here in the states but it does well in other countries.

I know Hollywood and the actors seem to have everything going for them and therefore some of you don't watch the Oscars. While it is true that actors are spoiled, I look at the awards as a celebration of the movies. I love movies and this night gives me a chance to celebrate it, revel in it and just have a good time talking about it!

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • It's knittingknurse now.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by stinkerbell View Post
    I've seen all five top nominated movies and I hope No Country For Old Men wins. Or Juno. I really hope Michael Clayton doesn't win. Because it kinda stunk. And I think Atonement was only filmed in order to be nominated for awards. While watching I remember thinking, oh boy, they want some statues.
    Haven't seen it but I remember seeing the previews thinking "Wow... that's going to win something."

My gripe about these awards is: who watches all these movie?

•   
    • Skeevy Ray Vaughan

I probably won't watch it. I rarely watch TV and unless someone else has it on and I'm in front of the TV, it's doubtful.

• Circle of Ancients

I think this is the first time in ALOT of years I haven't seen ANY of the nominated films.

I'll probably rent Michael Clayton Friday or Saturday to at least watch 'something'.

But I also think for the first time in alot of years, I actually want to see all 5 nominated movies.

• For old time sake

Yes I will!!! This is my super bowl. I purposely planned my HS Youth group meeting around the start of the Oscars so i won't miss it.

george...GEORGE will be there as a nominee. I him so
    Katie
    Founding member of the BA I LOVE us!!!
    FIGHT ON!!!!!!

• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

BANZAI INSTITUTE for Biomedical Engineering and Strategic Information

KATIE - THE BABY IS FAR TOO CUTE FOR WORDS!

And now back to George, can't wait to see him as always. He would have won the Oscar for Best Actor this year (to go with his Best Supporting Oscar at home) had Daniel Day-Lewis not appeared in a film this year!!! His work in 'Michael Clayton' was tremendous, as was his co-stars. Their film received the most Acting nominations for a reason.

I've been invited to a charity event viewing party so that should be fun, unless there is too much talking & we can't hear. Having seen all of the films nominated in the major categories I believe that this year's crop is one of the finest in memory. Not to mention the films that didn't rack up many or any nominations such as Chris Cooper in 'Breach', Robert Downey Jr. in 'Zodiac' (or a Best Picture nod either).

I love to watch the Oscars because I like to spot my publicist friends during the pre-shows & hear their versions of what was really going on there before-during-and after a day or two after the awards!
    Last edited by ALIASd; 02-20-2008 at 09:12 PM.
    "If you don't know how to draw, you don't belong in this building" - John Lasseter 2006

• Circle of Ancients

Quote Originally Posted by aashee View Post
    I probably won't watch it. I rarely watch TV and unless someone else has it on and I'm in front of the TV, it's doubtful.
    That's because you are either at a DL meet or here on MC.

• careful...i'm contagous!

in the paradise city. were the grass is green & the girls are pretty

anyone see harisson ford presenting last night, he talked like a stroke victim
    doombuggiesDISNEYROYALTY

• ...is fading out....

Blog Entries

Two days out and I still don't know what won or didn't win. I used to make a big deal about the Oscars, but not this year. To my knowledge, nothing I knew of was nominated, so it would have been a pretty bland show.......

Also, maybe it's just me, but I get tired of looking at all of this red carpet jazz and who's wearing what and all of the $$ that it took to look like that for one night etc. I feel like the way the Golden Globes 'went off' without a lot of pomp and circumstance is really the best way.....that's how the Oscars USED to be handed out - at the Roosevelt Hotel or someplace similar with a nice event and so forth.

Until celebs start doing things that are REALLY worth while (not that movies and TV aren't entertaining - as they are) but really worth while in that they are changing the lives of many, I can't really get into these awards show anymore.....sadly, what I used to really enjoy, sort of makes my stomach turn now. "What are you wearing? How much did it cost? Did you get your $25,000 gift basket" yadda yadda yadda.

I'm all for awarding people for their good work - but I sometimes feel that the Oscars, as well as many other awards shows, are extremely OVER THE TOP these days.

•   
    • Skeevy Ray Vaughan

Quote Originally Posted by Ginarella View Post
    That's because you are either at a DL meet or here on MC.
    You forgot playing poker.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12