DVC at Thanksgiving

Hey there I had a two part question here and I was hoping your vast expertese would help me out. My wife and I just bought into the Animal Kingdom Lodge with 200 points with the intention of doing a Disney vacation every two years with a Savannah view room. However my wife came up with a very intriguing idea this past week and I'm trying to figure out if it would be the best thing for us.

Her idea is to take Thanksgiving week every year and go down to WDW for a family vacation. Now I think I have figured this out correctly and a Saturday to Saturday vacation would be 195 points for a "standard view" room and "234 points for savannah view. Are my calculations correct? Also since my points renew in December each year, I thing I would be eligible to book right away, virtually a year in advance correct?

The other thing is I have a two year old son, who will be 4 the first time we do this (We have planned a 2009 trip in Feb already). I assume that since it is Thanksgiving week the crouds would be pretty heavy. Also would the Christmas decorations be up by then?

Obviously I was wrong about two parts, but you get the picture. I think we are trying to get the most out of out family time and it is a part of the year when we both are in a lag at work so logistically it makes sense. I was just hoping to get some input on the actual timing of the trip. Thanks for your help.

• DVC - BLT/BWV/BCV/VWL/VGC

Re: DVC at Thanksgiving

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyDelli View Post
    Also since my points renew in December each year, I thing I would be eligible to book right away, virtually a year in advance correct?
    Your Use Year has nothing to do with when you may call to make a reservation at a DVC resort. You can always reserve 11 months ahead of travel for your home resort, and 7 months ahead for other DVC resorts. The reservation date determines which Use Year the points are deducted from.

All of your points are actually in your account. You don't have to wait until your Use Year begins to have access to your points - you just have to match your vacation dates to the Use Year it falls within, and then make sure you have enough points in that Use Year to make the desired reservation.
    DVC Member - My Home Resorts: Bay Lake Tower, Boardwalk Villas, and Villas at the Grand Floridian

•   
    • Senior Minion

Blog Entries

book at room:

You have 11 month advance reservation at Animal Kingdom Lodge before you check-in date.
    Tirp in Nov 22 - check-out 29 2009 you start book at AKLV Dec 22 2008.
    Calculation of 7 nights

the 7 month advance Reservation mark is for another DVC resort Before Check-in

If whan go this NOV 2008 you can borrow points.
    Or pland next year in 2009.
    I'm say that you can use the point now.

Most time after Thanksgiving the Christmas decorations be up.
    I think this year WDW do the christmas decoration one week sooner.
    AKfandisney Have a Magic Disney day ºoº 2010
    Alan

Toy Story Mania construction:
    Older photo
    New Photo

Member of
    MiceChat WDW Trip
    Next trip
    2014 Feb 8-9

•   
    • Senior Minion

Blog Entries

Calculation of 7 nights
    Nov 22 2009 - Nov 29 2009
    One bedroom
    195 points for Standard view room
    233 points I get for One bedroom with Savanne View.
    AKfandisney Have a Magic Disney day ºoº 2010
    Alan

Toy Story Mania construction:
    Older photo
    New Photo

Member of
    MiceChat WDW Trip
    Next trip
    2014 Feb 8-9

Christmas decorations are up and Candlelight processional at EPCOT and Osbourne lights at the Studios start the Friday after Thanksgiving. Mickey's Very Merry Christmas Party starts in early November.

Thanks everyone. I was hoping to at least get some of the Christmas feeling while we are down there. I'm still plesantly surprised that my wife came up with the idea. She wanted to use the club more along the line of transferring to other places that are available. Oh well I think I'll be happy with WDW

• Wait, what?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by akfandisney View Post
    Most time after Thanksgiving the Christmas decorations be up.
    I think this year WDW do the christmas decoration one week sooner.
    Heck the Artist Palette at Saratoga Springs has already put up some Christmas Decorations.

• I was deleted.

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyDelli View Post
    Thanks everyone. I was hoping to at least get some of the Christmas feeling while we are down there. I'm still plesantly surprised that my wife came up with the idea. She wanted to use the club more along the line of transferring to other places that are available. Oh well I think I'll be happy with WDW
    If you are looking for next Thanksgiving, yes the holiday decorations are up in November - usually soon after Halloween. The Osborne Lights at Disney's Hollywood Studios do have a varying start date from mid-late November-early January. Mickey's Very Merry Christmas Party typically begins in November prior to Thanksgiving. Remember that DVC members can get discounts on MVMCP tickets on select nights when they order them via Member Services.

The information about booking that others have shared is great, so I won't go into repeating that. Keep in mind that you can try to book at other DVC Resorts as well, which may vary in point values. You can also link reservations between Member points and Member dollar reservation nights to extend your Thanksgiving vacation.

Good luck and happy booking!