Saratoga Springs Resort Any Tips? Please!

I have been to numerous Disney resorts but never Saratoga Springs. Does anyone have any tips on eating in or around the hotel? How the buses run ( I have heard the buses from this resort are the worst all all the Disney resorts). Any tips would be great.

While staying at the Board Walk on my last 5 trips I got to know the ins and outs of where to buy things for the room, where to eat, how to get around ect. It saved a lot of time and stress. This year my family and I are stabbing in the dark! Any help would be so helpful! Thanks!

• Wait, what?

Blog Entries

Re: Saratoga Springs Resort Any Tips? Please!

Quote Originally Posted by BCmouse View Post
    I have been to numerous Disney resorts but never Saratoga Springs. Does anyone have any tips on eating in or around the hotel? How the buses run ( I have heard the buses from this resort are the worst all all the Disney resorts). Any tips would be great.
    As for dining you have The Artists Palette, which is a quick service (where I work) and the Turf Club which is fine dining. Both of them are close to the front desk. The issue with the buses, is the fact that the resort is really big, and I believe they only have one stop in the resort (may be wrong).
    Also in addition to eating at a restaurant you can buy "groceries" in the artist Palette and cook in your room, they have kitchenettes in the rooms.

Also Saratoga is just a stones throw away from Downtown Disney.

• Keeping Disney Solvent

BCmouse:

SSR is broken into several groups, each with a bus stop (similar to CBR, if you've stayed there.) For whatever reason, when trying to get back to the SSR from various parks, we would see endless buses for other resorts while we would wait for virtually 40 minutes. By the time a bus would show, there were so many people waiting only 1/2 would or less would get on. Getting from SSR to parks wasn't much better. I mentioned this frustration while on property, stating that if the SSR was still being sold, it would make more sense for the buses to be the best in all of DisneyWorld to try to entice would-be buyers. Alas, it wasn't meant to be. Maybe it's better now.

As far as the resort itself, ask to get a room closer to the main pool and building if you wish to have a short walk for food. We lucked out with our room and were literally a minute's walk from all the resort amenities. This also made transportation to and from the airport easier since Mickey's Big Bus (or whatever that free bus express is called) drops you off and picks you up by registration.

The rooms at the SSR are very nice, the bathrooms are fabulous, and the fact that you have a washer and dryer in the larger units is positively divine, especially if you hit the parks when it's raining like we did. Some rooms have tremendous views: fountains, lakes, even Downtown Disney. Other room's have really sucky views of other rooms. This, I believe, is completely random. If anybody has a secret, please share how to get a view room.

By the way, if you want to go to Downtown Disney, don't waste your time waiting for one of those ferry things: just walk. It's about a 15 or 20 minute walk, which will be faster than waiting, and waiting, and waiting for a ferry which may end up being too full to take you anyway. (I thing all of SSR transportation is cursed.)

Good luck.

• Geoff London

I'm a DVC member at Saratoga Springs so here goes: As said above the bus service can be erratic. We found it easier to walk to Market Place at Downtown Disney (I'd say10 minutes but I'm a fast walker)and get the necessary buses to parks etc from there.
    SS is a very large resort and has 3 bus stops on site - see map:

Saratoga Springs Resort Spa Map - wdwinfo.com

and, some of the buildings, whilst nice and quiet and away from the road, are a long walk from the Carriage House (Check In) which is also where the Artist's Palette and Turf Club eateries are. Thankfully we had a rental car. (I could say the same about long walks with some ofthe blocks at Old Key West.)The Carriage House is also the location of the shop where you can get a pretty good range of groceries. You can pre order by fax but we found it easier to go down there and load up with what we wanted. Pool#1 is immediately behind Artist's Palette. We were in the 1501 -1836 block and behind it is pool #2 with jacuzzi hot tub. This faces directly across to Downtown Disney and its here you'll find the path that walks you down to DD. There is a boat departs towards DD - the landing stage is below the Carriage House car park (belowgreen letter C on the map). It can take a while to get to you because it serves other resorts too but it's a fun ride at night. Most of the one bedroom units don't have a brilliant view because they are built on the "ends" of the blocks. The Grand Villas always have a view across to DD.

A bit of fun for the kids -there are Hidden Mickeys - some in the kitchen area and one in the bedroom. See if they can find them. (I'll give you the answers should you want them).

DVC have an information show unit at SS which features mock-up layouts of rooms from the various resorts. When we were last there they were promoting the new AKL villas. If you have time its worth popping your head in for a nosey - there's no hard sell.

If there's anything else I can help with...just ask.
    Last edited by geoffa; 01-19-2009 at 09:32 AM.
    Now I'll turn that little mouse's dream into a nightmare Fantasmic !

DathDucky, Geoffa, and kindagoofy thanks for your tips! I have printed them out and will review them again on my flight. I'm really excited for my trip! I just hope I can get the hang of such a large resort so I don't lose time being lost. Thanks everyone!

• Geoff London

Basically SS has three areas - the far left is Carriage House and the restaurants - the far right is the pathway to DD. Enjoy your trip - that's what is really important.

The buses in general waste much of your precious vacation time,

at Saratoga, they are the worst. A CM clued us in on walking over to

Downtown Disney & get a direct bus from there. It's about a 15min

slow walk, but we wasted an hour one afternoon waiting.

Also be very clear as to what the bus destination is before you get on

and don't be afraid to ask the drivers.

I will only rent a car from now on, & you can park anywhere in WDW for free.

Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by raulwiff View Post

I will only rent a car from now on, & you can park anywhere in WDW for free.

Good luck.
    Correction, parking is NOT free everywhere at the Walt Disney World Resort. The Theme Parks charge at least $11 a day for parking, if not more.

• Geoff London

Quote Originally Posted by aakdisneydreamer View Post
    Correction, parking is NOT free everywhere at the Walt Disney World Resort. The Theme Parks charge at least $11 a day for parking, if not more.
    Correction - not if you are:
    a DVC member- it's free
    you have an Annual Pass - it's free

Thanks for the tips.... Everything you all have said will be much appreciated when I leave this weekend!

One question since I am going in the off season do you think I will be able to request which section of the resort I am stay in? If so which is the best? I know many have posted above to stay in Carriage. Or should I try and get a room closer to DTD so I can walk there to pick up the buses in case the buses are slow?

Thanks all!

• Geoff London

Sorry - correction to my post above re free parking. Besides those I listed - you also get free parking at the parks if you are staying at a Disney propert in general.

• Geoff London

Quote Originally Posted by BCmouse View Post
    Thanks for the tips.... Everything you all have said will be much appreciated when I leave this weekend!

One question since I am going in the off season do you think I will be able to request which section of the resort I am stay in? If so which is the best? I know many have posted above to stay in Carriage. Or should I try and get a room closer to DTD so I can walk there to pick up the buses in case the buses are slow?

Thanks all!
    Call them direct 407-827-1100 and quote your booking refrence. You can put in a request but they don't guarantee to honor it. (It's rare they don't.) Blocks nearest to the paths for DTD are 2101 -2436, 1501-1836 and nearest to DTD 1101 -1436. These rooms are all in the Congress Park area.