• Disney & Anime Fan

How much would DVC cost to my family?

Okay, I tried emailing DVC and they won't give me info via email, and I don't like phone calling. So can anyone tell me the price for membership? And other questions, I heard that they have a time limit of timeshare is that true? So if you pick one as home villa and it expires then what, do you lose you DVC or switch sites? Also do point accrue or expire per year? Is financing available? And if we are currently on a WDTC trip can be put that money toward DVC?

Here is my stats:

We would like VGC, 7 night trip every year or two max. For a family of 5 (2 adults, 3 kids 6-9ages). Eventually we would like to go to WDW same days. We would want one room maximum.

Thanks, we go to Disneyland next week and hope we could tour the VGC but we will see if it open or needs appointments.

• DVC - BLT/BWV/BCV/VWL/VGC

Re: How much would DVC cost to my family?

VGC point costs (referral from existing member required):
    160 points - $22 off = $90/pt
    200+ points - $24 off = $88/pt

Financing is available. VGV expires in Jan 2060.

Vacation points may be banked from your current Use Year into your next Use Year. Banked points may not be returned to their original Use Year. Vacation points may be borrowed from your next Use Year into your current Use Year.

When you're at DLR or WDW, just call and you can setup an appointment to see the model rooms and talk to a guide.
    DVC Member - My Home Resorts: Bay Lake Tower, Boardwalk Villas, and Villas at the Grand Floridian

•   
    • At one w/ our Disneyness

We just bought in. Similar needs to yours. Bought two contracts of 160pts each at $112/pt. Disney has incentives - Disney credit against the $112/pt price $22/pt bringing price per pt to $90. They offer Disney Financing 5yr or 10yr contracts, APR depends on your credit rating. They do not credit your current vacation expenses towards down payments. Need 10% down and ACH withdrawel of monthly payment to get the best Disney APR. No prepayment penalty. 50yr lease, once the lease expires, so do your points. Your points will buy many more nights' stay at one of the WDW DVC clubs than VGC. In our case, 320pts buys a week at VGC yet can stretch beyond 2wks at WDW. You are allowed to bank and borrow points within a 3yr window. You earn 2009 points now and 'bank' them, in 2010 you can use 2009, 2010 and borrow 2011.

Plus, if you tour, the DVC people make it completely worth your while. The villas are spectacular to boot.
    Just countin' the days til the next visit!

• Pilot EdForceOne

Quote Originally Posted by AnimeMomLeika View Post
    Okay, I tried emailing DVC and they won't give me info via email, and I don't like phone calling. So can anyone tell me the price for membership? And other questions, I heard that they have a time limit of timeshare is that true? So if you pick one as home villa and it expires then what, do you lose you DVC or switch sites? Also do point accrue or expire per year? Is financing available? And if we are currently on a WDTC trip can be put that money toward DVC?
    You are buying into a timeshare. They use a point system - each resort has a total # of points. The total # of points in a resort do not change, but they alter each year how many points a certain type of room costs at that time of year.

So you can look at the rates and say 'this type of room in sept for 7 days will cost me 150 points' at this year's distribution. If I want to make that trip, it will cost me 150 points. If I want to make that trip every year, I need to be able to find 150 points each year.

You buy into a contract, that lasts the length of the timeshare duration at that resort. They are all setup as 40 years (?) from when the dvc resort sales opened (not when you bought in). At the end of the contract - you have nothing.. there is nothing to sell.

The cost of the contract is determined by how many points you buy. So if you buy 200 points, you get 200 points per yearly cycle, to spend. There is also a system of banking/borrowing.. which allow you to push points out 1 'use year' (banking) or borrow from your next 'use year' (borrowing). So you can in move points around to get higher then your bought in points in a single trip.

The contract is an up front cost. So if you bought 200 points at $100 each.. that's 20k. You can finance it or they have options too.

On top of that, you have annual dues/maintanence fees that go to fund the upkeep of the property.

Since the point totals per resort do not change... what you are buying into is a program that limits how much your room can cost. In effect, buying into 'today's costs' in a program that lasts up to 40 years.

For instance... taking an overly simplistic view and saying 'I'm paying 20k now, to have one week of a Disney hotel, every year, for the next 40 years'. That means I'm only paying $500/week for the room.

But that doesn't take into account, financing costs eating into that saving, the fact you must take a trip every 2 years or lose value (excluding resale or renting), and the annual maintenance fees which could double those costs.

So if you are used to paying for the high end Disney hotels, its definitely a cost savings... as long as you always plan on going to Disney for the next 40 years Most calculate break even at like 6-12 years I think.

How much your actual cost is will depend on the points per room you want, and if you plan on buying enough points to get that every year, or if you play games to plan on cobbling points together to get the room you want. The cost per point varies by resort and there are promotions at various times depending on what's happening with the sell out of the property.

Grand Californian points are at a premium... due to the small size of the property. I don't know if there are points charts for it yet? The DVC sales pitch would have all that stuff and calling them would be the most prudent way to get the exact details now.
    Check out my blog - Coreplex: Rambling from inside the Grid

Am I evil? yes, I am
    Am I evil? I am man, yes, I am

Quote Originally Posted by sleepyjeff View Post
    Disneyland was meant to be sipped not chug-a-lugged

• Disney & Anime Fan

We are in the process of selling our home and buying another one if the home inspection goes on our selling home. And were told to not to add any thing to make our ratio of creditors heavy. So we may have to wait until after the mortgage gets finalized.
    ------------------
    Some questions:

Can you use the points to stay at Disneyland hotel?

Would it be the same cost for a week?

Also if you can tell me or not are payments pretty expensive?

But we also wonder how fast the DVC for VGC will go.

Why does people need a referral to buy?

Maybe we should get a different home base?

Even if we spend more time in Disneyland?
    -----------------
    Let me know what you all think.
    I remember touring the DVC in 1994 and wished I joined then when it was cheap, I think it was around $10k to start. Now wow the price difference.

• Pilot EdForceOne

Here's an unoffical chart for VGC points

DVCNews.com: The essential Disney Vacation Club resource! - Grand Californian Points Chart

You can see a week in a 2 bedroom place will cost anywhere from 340 points to 650 points for a week.

That's basically a 30k up front cost to buy in for an offpeak week every year. Or a premium week every other year. Or any other number of combinations you can do to get the points you need (bank in year 1, borrow from year 3, etc).

The annual maintenance costs will probably be on par with the other new properties.. closer to $5/point right now.

If you look on the DVC sites, I'm sure you'll get some more exact answers. But there are literally tons of combinations you can use to get the result you want. It's best to sit down with the consultants to work out what works best for your needs.
    Check out my blog - Coreplex: Rambling from inside the Grid

Am I evil? yes, I am
    Am I evil? I am man, yes, I am

Quote Originally Posted by sleepyjeff View Post
    Disneyland was meant to be sipped not chug-a-lugged

• Disney & Anime Fan

Thanks flynnibus, I was typing when you posted. So it'll be around $22000 for our family to spend a week a year is what I figure.

Previously I heard Disney didn't finance, but I have heard they do finance. true or false

So maybe having a different homebase would be better. I usually don't plan a trip too far out anyways.

I heard homebase is 11 months and others can book at 7 months out.

So that would be okay I guess, unless they all book up soon?

Can anyone tell me is it hard to get a non homebase reservation at the 7 month out?, we wouldn't be picky on location as long as it is in either WDW or Disneyland, we usually go in summer.

• Disney & Anime Fan

Thanks flynnibus, I went to the site and Wow the times we usually go with our kids for a 1 bed would be $390 points. I suppose it is doable if we go once every 3 years. That is if a 1 bedroom would be okay for 5.

Thanks, I was again typing as you replied. Thats all the questions I have and will wait to see what everyone posts and then will see about making a appointment, when we get into Anaheim on Friday

thanks

• Disney & Anime Fan

Sorry, typo 390 points not $390 dollars.

•   
    • At one w/ our Disneyness

Quote Originally Posted by AnimeMomLeika View Post
    We are in the process of selling our home and buying another one if the home inspection goes on our selling home. And were told to not to add any thing to make our ratio of creditors heavy. So we may have to wait until after the mortgage gets finalized.
    ------------------
    Some questions:

Can you use the points to stay at Disneyland hotel?

For 2009 you can use DVC pts to stay at all 2 DLR properties. I'm hearing in 2010 GCH won't be included.

Would it be the same cost for a week?

Not as economical as staying at the VGC.

Also if you can tell me or not are payments pretty expensive?

If you sign up for VGC's current deal, the 10yr 320pt 10.75%APR your pymt is $449/mth including dues/taxes/etc.

But we also wonder how fast the DVC for VGC will go.

They do not disclose this information. I believe they are not selling as quickly as originally predicted, hence the 'incentives' offered.

Why does people need a referral to buy?

I don't believe this to be the case. It wasn't for us.

Maybe we should get a different home base?

That 11month booking advantage will be helpful when the economy isn't so far in the dumps.

Even if we spend more time in Disneyland?

We wanted the 11mth booking advantage. Tho' the Bay Lake Towers were talking to us...

-----------------
    Let me know what you all think.
    I remember touring the DVC in 1994 and wished I joined then when it was cheap, I think it was around $10k to start. Now wow the price difference.
    Just countin' the days til the next visit!

• Disney fan

My family and I got 200 points at the GCV Tuesday for $88 per point. It's some kind of friends and family special.

• Disneyholic

I just bought in at BLT last month, there's several financing "Offers" the best for me was the 'preferred" rate when you have a friend or relative in the DVC. The nice thing about that is Disney gives your friend a free "gift" for the referral as well when you sign up.

The other thing to keep in mind is the paperwork and offers do vary with the state your in, some states like NY and CA have a lot more restrictions and paperwork that needs to be done than others. So this can impact how much Disney kicks in on the filing costs etc. Saved me about 5k at signing plus 10% discount on the financed portion with a referral but it's dependent on a lot of factors so you really need to go in and sit down and listen to the pitch. Our sales guy was Tony and it was completely no pressure, he listened answered questions asked questions, and worked it out on paper a few different ways to help us decide the best way to go for us. Even faxed the papers to our attorney for us for review while we decided. It was definitely NOT like any other time share sales experience I have ever been in - it was actually pleasant and fun. I was so glad not to be in a high pressure sales environment where they hound you or pressure you until you sign up. I also found it interesting that most of they guys doing it have been there 10-14 years, they know their stuff and as Tony put it it sells itself and he has points at all the resorts himself. (although he would not tell me what the CM discount was.. sorry guys I tried) So don't be afraid to take the tour, you see exactly what your getting in terms of the rooms, they take as much time as you need and at least at WDW you get free Ice cream and instant use fast passes for your time... It was a good experience.
    Last edited by Jerren; 09-07-2009 at 01:30 PM.
    Hi I'm Jerren and I'm a Disneyholic...