• MiceChat Administrator
    • Man of mystery and

Blog Entries

DVC Declining by Degrees?

Kevin Yee had a Disney World update today on MiceAge. In it, he shared a letter sent in by one of his readers about declines in DVC value. I've personally been feeling a bit of the bait and switch in what we had with DVC when we signed up and what we get today. While I know Disney has the right to do it based upon the contract we signed, it does seem like they fully intend to continue to cut the value of what we get.

Kevin Yee:
    One reader wrote to me, upset about some recent changes to DVC. To quote from the DVC newsletter: ďNote that, effective Oct. 14, the new system will require a one-night room and tax deposit for cash reservations, and payment for the Disney Dining Plan will be required at the time itís added to a reservation. (As a reminder, Members may add the Disney Dining Plan to their reservation as many as 48 hours prior to their check-in date.)Ē The reader continued in his email to me:
    My wife and I are celebrating our 25th Wedding Anniversary and are staying at Bay Lake Towers (4 nights) and Animal Kingdom Lodge (3 nights). I can only imagine what DVC is doing to cheapen out my experience.

When we first bought in and for several years afterward, we were like one of the families on the DVC channel in the hotel room. We were thrilled. Little by little......they chipped away. Cash night discounts are never available, however, I can call CRO and get a room through that side and cheaper than what the members discount should be. 3 days prior to cancellation, Now 7 days plus a charge card to guarantee it and in a few weeks cash up front for the first night. The valet service at Beach Club and Boardwalk gone. I will bet in 4 years internet will have to be paid by the DVC members.

I guess I should have known when they took away the beach towels at OKW and changed them into hotel towels that it was going to go downhill from there. I wonder how much stuff they have taken away just at OKW to make it feel ďat homeĒ and now it is gone for one reason or another. I talked to a DVC rep a few months ago about the horrible meal we had at Rose and Crown and he told me how a bunch of new items were coming online and he inferred ticket media being discounted by the end of the year. I donít see that happening.
    What are your thoughts?
    Find us on Facebook:

How do you support MiceChat? Join MiceChat GOLD!,

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Where should we go next?

Blog Entries

Re: DVC Declining by Degrees?

I don't really understand. about the cash thing?

I am a newbie DVC member and guess I am still in the honeymoon phase because I love it? But then again, I don't care about pool towels.

The Rose and Crown doesn't have anything to do with DVC... the food quality is a whole other post on its own

This guy kinda seems like a downer "I can only imagine what DVC is doing to cheapen out my experience." seems like he is actively looking for flaws.

BUT I know that things have declined, from what I have heard.
    Good morning, son
    In twenty years from now
    Maybe we'll both sit down and have a few beers
    And I can tell you 'bout today
    And how I picked you up and everything changed
    It was pain
    Sunny days and rain
    I knew you'd feel the same things...

• Nutty guy from Canada

Yeah I can't say I totally understand the cash thing either but I am also new to the club. (Our first stay as members will be in May.)

So far we're happy with things. Just today I got a personalized phone call from the person who is now our rep if we need anything. I don't know about you guys but I don't expect stuff like that from a large corporation, let alone after they've already gotten their money.

Guess time will tell. End of the day if you're not happy, you always have the option of selling.
    The Chadwick's Online Photo & Video Galleries
    DLR: 2008, 2010, 2011, 2012
    DCL: Alaska Cruise Aboard Disney Wonder 2013
    Planned Trips: DLR November 2014, WDW March 2017

Very Happy Disney Vacation Club Member Since 2010
    270 Points at The Villas at Disney's Grand Californian Hotel & Spa

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • How do you do?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Asylim View Post
    So far we're happy with things. Just today I got a personalized phone call from the person who is now our rep if we need anything. I don't know about you guys but I don't expect stuff like that from a large corporation, let alone after they've already gotten their money.
    We got a call from our rep on our trip this past weekend, and we didn't even tell her we were going! We were surprised and pleased to see she cared enough to check in with us and leave a voice mail on the room phone.
    It's a Zip-A-Dee-Doo-Dah...Tip for Today!

• Surfin the net with Duffy

That are such petty things people are complaining about. Owning DVC entitles you to prepaid vacations each year. That is what you paid for! My parents have owned for 15 years and love it, but sometimes the way we see people act at check in and at the guest service counter is outrageous!

Bringing the Love since January 10, 2011
    We were sent over there with the message that only we would defend Disney quality.. We learnt quickly that the Japanese culture speaks to a level of quality that is hard to comprehend. They were all unbelievably skilled and willing to do the right thing.
    Craig Russell -Walt Disney Imagineering

• Minion

The only thing I ever expected was a nice condo environment on Disney property and I have got that and love it!