• Minion

What is the reasoning for no Lilo at Aulani Theirs stitch but no lilo why is that?

The title basically says it all why is their no Lilo at Aulani?

It's a music Celebration
    Come on, come on, come on
    Strike up the band,
    Feel the beat, what a great sensation
    Come on, come on, come on
    Move and clap your hands,
    Get into the Spirit
    Let everyone hear it,
    So come on, come on

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Where should we go next?

Blog Entries

Re: What is the reasoning for no Lilo at Aulani Theirs stitch but no lilo why is that

Good question... I didn't realize there was no lilo. Maybe they haven't added her yet? It would make sense since she is Hawaii and all :\
    Good morning, son
    In twenty years from now
    Maybe we'll both sit down and have a few beers
    And I can tell you 'bout today
    And how I picked you up and everything changed
    It was pain
    Sunny days and rain
    I knew you'd feel the same things...

Re: What is the reasoning for no Lilo at Aulani Theirs stitch but no lilo why is that

Actually I can answer that. Native Hawaiians found the depictions of Hawaiians in Lilo and Stitch to be rather insulting. To make things right for them (and to get their blessings for building Aulani) they decided to "ground" Lilo and keep her away from the resort. Stitch however can't be controlled, so he can pretty much go wherever he chooses... lol

• Disney fan

The actress who voiced Lilo's sister was a native Hawaiian. Might not make her less insulting, but it at least spreads the blame around...

• All-American

I wonder if part of it is the potential weirdness of having a giant rubberhead costume of a Hawaiian human, walking around posing for pictures. Stitch at least has the benefit of being equally foreign to everybody, Hawaiian or otherwise, in that he's a blue alien from outer space. The fact that Lilo's a 7-foot tall costume posing as a 3-foot or so child probably doesn't help...

I can't imagine it has anything to do with any restrictions Hawaii put on the usage of characters, and has everything to do with the emphasis on Hawaiian culture far above any Disney IP at the resort.

To a lesser degree, Lilo just doesn't make sense at the resort. First, she lives in Hawaii, and all other Disney characters you see at Aulani are on vacation there, just like you. Second, if she were to be there, as a human, she would likely need to be a "face" character, in which case, you'd need a young girl to play her. If you decided to make a cartoon version of her, that would fly in the face of the authentic Hawaiian experience Disney has painstakingly created.

I can't wait to go in April and see the resort for myself. I've never been to Hawaii, so going to a resort so immersed in the culture is far more appealing to me than the characters anyway. Plus, the things I love most about vacationing with Disney have nothing to do with the characters (which I love) and everything to do with the customer service and attention to detail. So I'm OK with no Lilo and occasional visits by Stitch.