• Bad deal

4 11.43%
  • Not sure

13 37.14%
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

• DVC - BLT/BWV/BCV/VWL/VGC

Re: DVC Good deal, or Bad?

Quote Originally Posted by SCUBAbe View Post
    the one question she really hedged on was, "how hard is it to book a room, because I've heard people can't get rooms for when they want to go. " she really did not haver an answer. So, is it difficult to get the place for when you want to go? and not just the wdw rooms, but the other non disney places as well?
    As long as I've booked at the 11-month window, I've always gotten the room I wanted at the resort I wanted at the time I wanted.

DVC is not necessarily for those who like to book last minute vacations, unless you don't care which resort you stay at. Typically, if you only book 3-5 months in advance, SSR (the largest DVC resort) and OKW (the oldest and 2nd largest) will always be available. Of course, that excludes "busy" times like Easter, Christmas, etc.

If you want to book a room during the busiest times -- book 11 months in advance.
    DVC Member - My Home Resorts: Bay Lake Tower, Boardwalk Villas, and Villas at the Grand Floridian

• Disneyholic

Quote Originally Posted by DVC Mike View Post
    As long as I've booked at the 11-month window, I've always gotten the room I wanted at the resort I wanted at the time I wanted.

DVC is not necessarily for those who like to book last minute vacations, unless you don't care which resort you stay at. Typically, if you only book 3-5 months in advance, SSR (the largest DVC resort) and OKW (the oldest and 2nd largest) will always be available. Of course, that excludes "busy" times like Easter, Christmas, etc.

If you want to book a room during the busiest times -- book 11 months in advance.

Don't DVC members get discounts on any hotel on the property? My wife and I are going to look into it seriously this trip as we are kicking ourselves for not buying into it a little over 10 years ago when on honeymoon... The way we look at it you can Bank or borrow points for the bigger trips every couple of years (she is from a HUGE family...) and use the discounts and extra points for staying in the normal resorts.

Approximately what is the discount DVC members get on lodging and AP's?
    Hi I'm Jerren and I'm a Disneyholic...

Quote Originally Posted by Jerren View Post
    Don't DVC members get discounts on any hotel on the property?
    Approximately what is the discount DVC members get on lodging and AP's?
    DVC members get $100 off the cost of an AP. There is no discount on room rates for non-DVC resorts (other than the AP discount). You can use your points to stay at places like the GF, Poly, and CR, but it's not a good use of your points. You do get a 25% discount for booking a DVC room via member services, subject to availability.
    DVC Member - My Home Resorts: Bay Lake Tower, Boardwalk Villas, and Villas at the Grand Floridian

• Neep meep beep

In my former career as a Certified Financial Planner, I got this question a lot, and I often would do the "what if" scenarios with a client. It's well known in the finance world that Timeshares, or Vacation Clubs, are a bad deal financially.

Even aside from the financial considerations, if they were a deal that made economic sense for the buyer, the companies offering them wouldn't be pushing them so hard, with incentives and offers and in some cases pressuring sales tactics. On the other hands, every company in the travel industry loves timeshares - there's big money in them.

It should be a warning sign that lots of people try to sell their time share or club membership, but the resale market is very, very soft. Unfortunately, most sales people promise that you can easily sell the membership, and often pitch it as an investment in your future leisure time. Fees tend to go up above the cost of inflation for maintenance, etc., and it's hard to get out of the membership if you decide you want to in the future.

It's almost a better option to save money for vacations in an interest bearing account or bond fund. Because travel is a competitive industry, competition will always keep costs for hotels and airfare as low as possible, and deals are there if you're willing to look. (In fact historically, vacation clubs and timeshare fees have gone up higher than hotel increases). If you insist on a vacation club, or time share, it's a better deal to rent someone's timeshare for a week, a month, etc., instead of signing up on your own.

You might want to read "Ten secrets resorts won't tell you" on Yahoo, or do the research on the net, or see a financial planner. I'd say stay far, far away, from any investment like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Frogberto View Post
    It should be a warning sign that lots of people try to sell their time share or club membership, but the resale market is very, very soft. Unfortunately, most sales people promise that you can easily sell the membership, and often pitch it as an investment in your future leisure time. Fees tend to go up above the cost of inflation for maintenance, etc., and it's hard to get out of the membership if you decide you want to in the future.
    While this is true for most timeshares, this is not accurate for DVC, based on actual historical data. The price keeps going up, and members who bought in before are able to sell their memberships for more than they paid for it. This is because Disney props up the resale market by exercising their ROFR and buying back low cost resales. Also, a timeshare at WDW is highly valued and, thus far, always in demand.

It's almost a better option to save money for vacations in an interest bearing account or bond fund.
    I would agree that this may be a better option for some, depending upon their financial situation, and may be especially true if you must finance to purchase DVC.

In fact historically, vacation clubs and timeshare fees have gone up higher than hotel increases.
    A comparison of WDW resort fees to DVC annual maintenance shows they are pretty much the same, with DVC actually being a bit less.

If you insist on a vacation club, or time share, it's a better deal to rent someone's timeshare for a week, a month, etc., instead of signing up on your own.
    I would agree that it would be a good idea to rent points from a DVC member and try it out to see if it's for you, or not.

•   
    • Minion

Well the only problem I have with the DVC is that it is VERY East Coast Centric... If you notice DVC Mike is from North Carolina and Frogberto is in California...

Most people on the West Coast realise when they recieve their package that the DVC is weighted for time shares in Florida... So if you spend most of your time vacationing at the Disney Resourt in Florida, then by all means consider the DVC... But in California you are better off opening a vacation account. Some friends of mine have done this actually and so far it works out great for them...

Once the DVC builds timeshares in California, you will see this attitude change.
    Check out my other blog:

Quote Originally Posted by cellarhound View Post
    Well the only problem I have with the DVC is that it is VERY East Coast Centric... If you notice DVC Mike is from North Carolina and Frogberto is in California...

Most people on the West Coast realise when they recieve their package that the DVC is weighted for time shares in Florida... So if you spend most of your time vacationing at the Disney Resourt in Florida, then by all means consider the DVC... But in California you are better off opening a vacation account. Some friends of mine have done this actually and so far it works out great for them...

Once the DVC builds timeshares in California, you will see this attitude change.
    DVC resorts have been announced for the Grand Californian Hotel in Disneyland as well as in Hawaii. Construction has already started on the DVC at Disneyland.

West coasters will soon have locations that are closer to home.

• Done and Gone

Quote Originally Posted by cellarhound View Post

You also have the other collections and hotels you can visit in each state. (And the exchanges in other parts of the world.) There's a lot more to DVC than just WDW.

(California member here.)

• Me and Tommy Kirk

Quote Originally Posted by sneakerspray View Post
    You also have the other collections and hotels you can visit in each state. (And the exchanges in other parts of the world.) There's a lot more to DVC than just WDW.

(California member here.)
    Have you stayed at non-Disney resorts/hotels? What has your experience been?

I'm considering a DVC unit. My family and I visit WDW every 3 to 5 years, and we stay at Disneyland at least twice a year, with short, spur-of-the-moment weekend trips about 3 times a year. We ususally stay at deluxe resorts at WDW, however in the years when we don't go to FLA we visit other places. This year we visited Honolulu and Kona, next year it's back to WDW.

When I consider how much we spend on the resorts, including concierge service on occasion, I wonder if it would be a better deal in the long run to just buy a DVC unit?

•   
    • Circle of Ancients

Quote Originally Posted by Neverlandtink View Post
    When I consider how much we spend on the resorts, including concierge service on occasion, I wonder if it would be a better deal in the long run to just buy a DVC unit?
    If you are used to staying in WDW's Deluxe hotels I must say that some people think DVC is a small step down from that.
    Waiting for Godot Micechat.com

• Me and Tommy Kirk

Quote Originally Posted by sleepyjeff View Post
    If you are used to staying in WDW's Deluxe hotels I must say that some people think DVC is a small step down from that.
    Thanks - I thought about that too, but wasn't sure about services. We do really like the pampering we get at the resorts. Since we don't take a big vacation each year, we save up to stay at the nicer places.

Quote Originally Posted by Neverlandtink View Post
    The Animal Kingdom Villas is the only DVC resort with rooms that have concierge service. The other DVC resorts do not.

• Me and Tommy Kirk

Thanks Mike!

So am I understanding right - you purchase at one resort, but then you can stay at any of the DVC resorts on your trips? Or are you just purchasing a generic DVC unit (at a specific size and point value) and pick where you want to go each time? If the answer to my first question is yes, then what are the benefits for you if you stay at your base resort? Is it easier to reserve there as opposed to another resort?

• Prefect

Blog Entries

Another California DVC memeber here...

For us it was probably not a smart move financially, but it was a very smart move for my sanity. We needed it to give us a "kick in the butt" to go on vacations, otherwise we say we're going to go somewhere and never do.

When you buy in, you are actually "buying" a specific room in a specific DVC resort for a specific amount of time (47 years, I believe). This is mostly for the legal paperwork because you can use your points anywhere.

Quote Originally Posted by Neverlandtink
    then what are the benefits for you if you stay at your base resort? Is it easier to reserve there as opposed to another resort?
    When you book at your home resort, you can book further in advance than other members. Having said this, I've never had any problems getting a room, either at a DVC resort or otherwise. I know Dustysage does a lot of last minute trips with his points and hasn't had any problems either. *knocks on wood*
    <o>

• Neep meep beep

I have heard this from a close friend that purchased a membership that she regrets financially, but she did say that one good thing about it is that it forces her to take a vacation every year, and that's a good thing (for sanity, mental health, and other reasons!)

Quote Originally Posted by pixie chick View Post
    Another California DVC memeber here...

For us it was probably not a smart move financially, but it was a very smart move for my sanity. We needed it to give us a "kick in the butt" to go on vacations, otherwise we say we're going to go somewhere and never do.

When you buy in, you are actually "buying" a specific room in a specific DVC resort for a specific amount of time (47 years, I believe). This is mostly for the legal paperwork because you can use your points anywhere.

When you book at your home resort, you can book further in advance than other members. Having said this, I've never had any problems getting a room, either at a DVC resort or otherwise. I know Dustysage does a lot of last minute trips with his points and hasn't had any problems either. *knocks on wood*

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast