• Bad deal

4 11.43%
  • Not sure

13 37.14%
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

• DVC - BLT/BWV/BCV/VWL/VGC

Re: DVC Good deal, or Bad?

Quote Originally Posted by Neverlandtink View Post
    So am I understanding right - you purchase at one resort, but then you can stay at any of the DVC resorts on your trips? Or are you just purchasing a generic DVC unit (at a specific size and point value) and pick where you want to go each time? If the answer to my first question is yes, then what are the benefits for you if you stay at your base resort? Is it easier to reserve there as opposed to another resort?
    You are actually purchasing a real estate investment of a small percentage of one unit at one DVC resort (your "home" resort). That's just for legal reasons, as DVC is a timeshare system; however, it's a flexible point-based system, and not the typically one week in one unit variety.

You can book any type of room (studio, 1-BR, 2-BR, 3-BR GV) at any time of year, for any length of time, at any DVC resort, based upon the number of points your purchase.

You can book your home resort up to 11 months in advance, and any other DVC resort up to 7 months in advance. That is called the home resort priority booking advantage.

The point cost varies a bit for each resort (i.e., it costs less points to stay at OKW than it does at BCV, for example).
    DVC Member - My Home Resorts: Bay Lake Tower, Boardwalk Villas, and Villas at the Grand Floridian

Fot those interested in a financial analysis of DVC:

http://dvcnews.com/index.php?option=...=55&Itemid=148
    DVC Member - My Home Resorts: Bay Lake Tower, Boardwalk Villas, and Villas at the Grand Floridian

• Me and Tommy Kirk

Quote Originally Posted by DVC Mike View Post
    You are actually purchasing a real estate investment of a small percentage of one unit at one DVC resort (your "home" resort). That's just for legal reasons, as DVC is a timeshare system; however, it's a flexible point-based system, and not the typically one week in one unit variety.

You can book any type of room (studio, 1-BR, 2-BR, 3-BR GV) at any time of year, for any length of time, at any DVC resort, based upon the number of points your purchase.

You can book your home resort up to 11 months in advance, and any other DVC resort up to 7 months in advance. That is called the home resort priority booking advantage.

The point cost varies a bit for each resort (i.e., it costs less points to stay at OKW than it does at BCV, for example).
    Wow, thank you! I didn't even think to ask about point cost. So I'm guessing that, like the deluxe hotels, DVC units closest to the main gates cost more (points) than the ones that are further away.

Gee, now I'm rethinking the whole DVC idea. We take more weekend trips to DL each year than we do the week long WDW trips. Since many of our trips are last minute, we may not get the chance to stay in a DCV unit even if we owned one. What's your opinion on the quick trips? Have you had any luck?

We take more weekend trips to DL each year than we do the week long WDW trips. Since many of our trips are last minute, we may not get the chance to stay in a DCV unit even if we owned one. What's your opinion on the quick trips? Have you had any luck?
    If you typically don't plan out your trips to DL or WDW a few months in advance, then you probably wouldn't be satisfied with DVC. Unless you travel during the DVC off-season (Jan/Feb, May, & Sept), you might have difficulty booking the room you want on short notice. I hear of DVC members who take unscheduled, spur-of-the-moment trips, and they do seem to find a room, as long as they're not picky where they stay.

DVC is great for those folks who can plan their vacations well in advance -- at least 7 months in advance.

• Me and Tommy Kirk

Okay, what is late November early December like? Is that off season as well? All our WDW trips are the last week of Nov to the first week of Dec, and we stay at Disneyland on the years we don't visit WDW. The other months you mentioned are favorites of ours as well, as we hate travelling during the summer months. Also, how far in advance can you book? Like for instance can you book many trips in advance? Let's say I want to visit WDW every December for the next 3 years. Can I book them all or is it one at a time? Do they take requests for a unit with a view, and does that cost more points?

Sorry for all the questions. Thanks for your help!

• no flash photography...

Okay, what is late November early December like? Is that off season as well? All our WDW trips are the last week of Nov to the first week of Dec, and we stay at Disneyland on the years we don't visit WDW. The other months you mentioned are favorites of ours as well, as we hate travelling during the summer months. Also, how far in advance can you book? Like for instance can you book many trips in advance? Let's say I want to visit WDW every December for the next 3 years. Can I book them all or is it one at a time? Do they take requests for a unit with a view, and does that cost more points?

Sorry for all the questions. Thanks for your help!
    If you can go to the seminar they have in the park. They are not hard pressure sales at all. they answer your questions, give you a dvd to take home as well as the book that you wold get once a year to plan the trips. The book has the points for each room type in it as well as the cruise line. We fund it very helpful, but have decided not to go the dvc route. Mostly because I don't like the idea of the annual fee which is almost a grand now and can go up every year. I think it also costs $95.00 to book at a non dvc hotel. I just see all these fees adding up and I also see online a lot of people trying to sell thiers and the question of why does cross my mind.

We also agreed to look into again once they have units on the west coast.

• Me and Tommy Kirk

Thanks Scubabe. That's another thing I didn't think about - annual fees.

We live in the San Diego county, and since DVC is going up at DLR as well as Hawaii, I've really been considering it. Why is your annual fee so much? Do you have a large unit or is that the average?

• no flash photography...

Thanks Scubabe. That's another thing I didn't think about - annual fees.

We live in the San Diego county, and since DVC is going up at DLR as well as Hawaii, I've really been considering it. Why is your annual fee so much? Do you have a large unit or is that the average?
    I'm not a member. I just went to the seminar at disneyland.

They were quoting the animal kingdom villas. The paperwork I have says the annual fee is $739.20 for the 160 point base package. the 200 point package has annual dues of $924.00.

Saratoga springs for 160 points is $659.20 and 200 points is $824.00.

They were pushing the animal kingdom villas so that's the pricing they provided to me. It costs $16,640.00. The one thing she said which was false was it would be paid off in five years. It could be, but all the pricing she provided to us was for paying it off in 10 years, but she kept saying 5 years. that seemed shady to me. Another reason we hesitated.

The vacations are for 50 years and then after that time has passed you don't own anything. The DVC can be given out as gifts or willed to someone....until the 50 years have passed.

Okay, what is late November early December like? Is that off season as well? All our WDW trips are the last week of Nov to the first week of Dec, and we stay at Disneyland on the years we don't visit WDW. The other months you mentioned are favorites of ours as well, as we hate travelling during the summer months.
    The first 2 weeks of December is one of the busiest times (outside of holidays), so you would need to book your vacation as far in advance as possible.

Also, how far in advance can you book? Like for instance can you book many trips in advance? Let's say I want to visit WDW every December for the next 3 years. Can I book them all or is it one at a time?
    You can book your vacations a maximum of 11 months in advance. Right now, I have three vacations booked (Dec 2007, March 2009, and April 2009). I am getting ready to book Oct 2008 next week.

Do they take requests for a unit with a view, and does that cost more points?
    Some places, such as AKV, BWL and OKW, have specific views that you book and you are guaranteed to get. For example, I booked a boardwalk view for my BWV trip.

For the other resorts, you put in a request for a view, which is not guaranteed.

As was mentioned above, the next time you are at WDW or DL, stop by one of the many DVC booths and setup a tour. It will take about 90 minutes and they'll answer all your questions. It'a all very low key.

Here are the current costs per point to purchase each DVC resort, as well as the 2007 annual maintenance per point for each resort. AKV and OKW expire in 2057, SSR expires in 2054, and all the others expire in 2042.

Current Cost per point:

AKV = $104 - $8 incentive = $96
    SSR = $104 - $10 incentive = $94
    BCV = $101
    BWV = $98
    VWL = $98
    OKW = $96
    HHI = $92
    VB = $92

2007 Annual Dues

AKV = $4.62
    SSR = $4.12
    BCV = $4.63
    BWV = $4.85
    VWL = $4.73
    OKW = $4.40
    HHI = $4.98
    VB = $5.63

• MiceChat Administrator
    • Man of mystery and

Blog Entries

I'm just thrilled with my DVC. I'm on the minimal package at Saratoga Springs and it has been enough for us to visit for two weeks every year (in the off season). We've even used the points to buy vacations for friends. It has been lovely. All of the resorts we have stayed at so far have been excellent (Saratoga Springs, Boardwalk, Old Key West, and Yacht and Beach Club). I'm thinking about buying extra points at Animal Kingdom Lodge, but may wait until the Contemporary opens.
    Find us on Facebook:

How do you support MiceChat? Join MiceChat GOLD!,

•   
    • Chicago Gal

Blog Entries

Oh, I wish that I had the money to buy into the Vacation Club. I wish that I had done this when I was younger. The Contemporary is one of my favorite Resorts. I think that that is really a prime location for the DVC. I bet when that is complete there will be a lot of new DVC owners.

• Me and Tommy Kirk

I'm just mad that I didn't purchase when I was a CM and a d.i.n.k. on top of that! Now we have little ones and a mortgage, etc. We actually have a trip planned for Nov 30 of '08 at the Yacht club, so we'll stop by and check it out. (I'm hoping our cars will be paid off by then so we'll have some cash freed up just in case).

Thanks everyone for the input! I'm enjoying the feedback.

Have you stayed at non-Disney resorts/hotels? What has your experience been?

I'm considering a DVC unit. My family and I visit WDW every 3 to 5 years, and we stay at Disneyland at least twice a year, with short, spur-of-the-moment weekend trips about 3 times a year. We ususally stay at deluxe resorts at WDW, however in the years when we don't go to FLA we visit other places. This year we visited Honolulu and Kona, next year it's back to WDW.

When I consider how much we spend on the resorts, including concierge service on occasion, I wonder if it would be a better deal in the long run to just buy a DVC unit?
    in your case would go the resale route.

if you buy from DVC you must get 160 points.

resale you can get 25 points.

in your case would get 60 or 75 points (if you can find them) - if possible at AKV - so you have the 11 month booking window - which you will need for concierge. It will be 175 points for concierge 1-bedroom in spring break feb-april, and june, july and most of aug. So with banking and borrowing you only to need to get 60 to 75 points.

other seasons are less - with Palm & Easter week plus christmas to Ny being higher.
    a 2-bedroom is higher, a studio is less - points.

now if you are only going every 5 years - then forget DVC. 3 years it can work for you but 5 years you would be losing points unless you start to rent yours.

the California will be 50 units - now once DVC sells this in quick order, really expecting more.

So don't buy DVC and expect to be able to stay in Ca in less than 11 months notice.

California resident are surpose to be given advance notice once selling has begun. Now don't know if that is CA residents who are already DVC members or just Ca residents.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast