View Poll Results: DVC, Good or Bad

Voters
35. You may not vote on this poll
  • Good Deal

    18 51.43%
  • Bad deal

    4 11.43%
  • Not sure

    13 37.14%
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 49
  1. #1

    • Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Near Seattle
    Posts
    404

    DVC Good deal, or Bad?

    Anyone a DVC member? Is it a good deal or not? Would you recomend becoming a DVC member to a fellow Micechatter?

    I am thinking about becoming one. Need more information first though.

    EDIT: Ok, thread got moved. I guess this is the right forum. Hmmm, more then 20 views and absolutly no responces...... Guess we don't have many DVC members on atm.
    Last edited by Mnemorath; 09-16-2007 at 02:07 AM. Reason: Thread moved


    SEMPER ABSURDA

  2. #2

    • Sock Puppet
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Lets just say the only place in california that celebrates BEANS!
    Posts
    285

    Re: DVC Good deal, or Bad?

    Quote Originally Posted by Mnemorath View Post
    Anyone a DVC member? Is it a good deal or not? Would you recomend becoming a DVC member to a fellow Micechatter?

    I am thinking about becoming one. Need more information first though.

    EDIT: Ok, thread got moved. I guess this is the right forum. Hmmm, more then 20 views and absolutly no responces...... Guess we don't have many DVC members on atm.

    How come it got moved? to Disneys non-offering parks? last time I checked Disneyland is a disney park! anyways I hear you get annual passes every year or something not to sure! But I would like to know more also!

  3. #3

    • DVC - BLT/BWV/BCV/VWL/VGC
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    550 miles from WDW
    Posts
    153

    Re: DVC Good deal, or Bad?

    DVC is not for everyone. It's for people who really love Disney and who typically don't stay offsite or at a value resort.

    DVC membership might make sense if you meet most or all of these criteria:
    • The cost of membership and annual dues does not appear to present a financial hardship. DVC is a luxury purchase, in my mind.
    • You vacation at Walt Disney World frequently: ideally at least once every two years. This will apply to Disneyland once they announce the new DVC resort at DL this month.
    • You plan to continue vacationing at Disney World far enough into the future to make the membership at least break even.
    • You prefer to stay in Deluxe or DVC accommodations and/or you stay a long time (10 days or more per year). If you always stay at a Value resort, or always stay off-site, or you really spend the entire day at the parks away from your hotel, and you don't spend time at the resort itself (other than crashing at the end of the day), then DVC may not be for you.
    • You are able to plan your vacations well in advance -- ideally 7 to 11 months out. If you aren't a planner, don't even look at becoming a DVC member. If you can't plan and book your vacations 11 months in advance, and staying at a particular DVC resort is important, then don't join DVC. If you really don't care which DVC resort you end up with, then it's not an issue.
    • You can do without daily mousekeeping and room service (of course, you can pay extra and get mousekeeping as a DVC member).
    • You desire more space than a typical resort room (such as a 2 bedroom villa, with full kitchen, living room, 2 bathrooms and jacuzzi suite, and even a washer/dryer).
    • You’re not looking at DVC as an investment or a way to make money (it’s not). It is a decision to prepay, at today's rates, the next several decades of Disney trips.
    If the only consideration is whether it makes financial sense, then maybe you should be staying offsite and only eating offsite as well, since that beats staying onsite. Beyond just the financial considerations, DVC membership is emotionally satisfying (you “own a piece of the magic”), and it gives you a reason to take a vacation at WDW.

    Buying a DVC membership is a rational, financially viable option for some people: namely people who plan to stay in the higher-end accommodations at Walt Disney World on a regular basis.

    Buying into DVC is almost a lifestyle choice. A DVC purchase is a way of committing to an annual Disney vacation with family and friends. For some people, that may outweigh any financial considerations. DVC will pay dividends beyond mere dollars and cents – your return on investment will be the joyous times, the family gatherings, and the experiences of a lifetime.

    I am a happy DVC member and can recommend it to others.

    Only you can determine if DVC membership makes sense for your situation, based upon your lifestyle and financial capabilities.
    DVC Member - My Home Resorts: Bay Lake Tower, Boardwalk Villas, and Villas at the Grand Floridian



  4. #4

    • no flash photography...
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    In my own little world..
    Posts
    13,287

    Re: DVC Good deal, or Bad?

    I'm not sure. I have looked into it, but I can only handle so much disney. I can barely handle two days at DL I don't think I could do a week or two of disney anywhere. It's not really disney I can't handle, but the crowds get to be to much for me.

    I did read you can go to other destinations, but then I feared this whole crowded vacation type environment with crowded yours and such. IDK, It may not be for me.

  5. #5

    • When Will It Return?
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Valencia, CA
    Posts
    1,348

    Re: DVC Good deal, or Bad?

    I always thought of DVC as "The AP to end all APs". I don't think it's possible to outdo prepurchasing annual Disney vacations for decades in advance. Wow.

    DVC Mike is right when he says it's not an investment...it's more like a hedge against the inevitable price hikes. You know they're coming, but balance that against just how far ahead in time you're going. Sounds like you could be prepurchasing every family Disney vacation you & your children will ever have until they grow up. That's just staggering to think about...

    -- PMM

    "Who among you is wise and understanding? Let him show by his good behavior his deeds in the gentleness of wisdom." -- James 3:13

  6. #6

    • Minion
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Golden State
    Posts
    1,535

    Re: DVC Good deal, or Bad?

    I'm a DVC member and so are many of my friends. Yes, we go to WDW every year, but we've also used our points outside of "the world". I've stayed at a 5 star hotel in Washington, DC. My friends have gone to London, New York and Monterey, CA., all on their points. The points allow you to travel whenever you want, you're not tied into a certain time every year.
    I want my cake back!

  7. #7

    • DVC - BLT/BWV/BCV/VWL/VGC
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    550 miles from WDW
    Posts
    153

    Re: DVC Good deal, or Bad?

    According to the press release issued today for the Grand Californian DVC at Disneyland, DVC now has 350,000 members. That's double the number of members they had in 2003.
    DVC Member - My Home Resorts: Bay Lake Tower, Boardwalk Villas, and Villas at the Grand Floridian



  8. #8

    • Circle of Ancients
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Paris, France / Los Angeles
    Posts
    38,886
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: DVC Good deal, or Bad?

    Quote Originally Posted by DVC Mike View Post
    DVC is not for everyone. It's for people who really love Disney and who typically don't stay offsite or at a value resort.

    DVC membership might make sense if you meet most or all of these criteria:
    • The cost of membership and annual dues does not appear to present a financial hardship. DVC is a luxury purchase, in my mind.
    • You vacation at Walt Disney World frequently: ideally at least once every two years. This will apply to Disneyland once they announce the new DVC resort at DL this month.
    • You plan to continue vacationing at Disney World far enough into the future to make the membership at least break even.
    • You prefer to stay in Deluxe or DVC accommodations and/or you stay a long time (10 days or more per year). If you always stay at a Value resort, or always stay off-site, or you really spend the entire day at the parks away from your hotel, and you don't spend time at the resort itself (other than crashing at the end of the day), then DVC may not be for you.
    • You are able to plan your vacations well in advance -- ideally 7 to 11 months out. If you aren't a planner, don't even look at becoming a DVC member. If you can't plan and book your vacations 11 months in advance, and staying at a particular DVC resort is important, then don't join DVC. If you really don't care which DVC resort you end up with, then it's not an issue.
    • You can do without daily mousekeeping and room service (of course, you can pay extra and get mousekeeping as a DVC member).
    • You desire more space than a typical resort room (such as a 2 bedroom villa, with full kitchen, living room, 2 bathrooms and jacuzzi suite, and even a washer/dryer).
    • You’re not looking at DVC as an investment or a way to make money (it’s not). It is a decision to prepay, at today's rates, the next several decades of Disney trips.
    If the only consideration is whether it makes financial sense, then maybe you should be staying offsite and only eating offsite as well, since that beats staying onsite. Beyond just the financial considerations, DVC membership is emotionally satisfying (you “own a piece of the magic”), and it gives you a reason to take a vacation at WDW.

    Buying a DVC membership is a rational, financially viable option for some people: namely people who plan to stay in the higher-end accommodations at Walt Disney World on a regular basis.

    Buying into DVC is almost a lifestyle choice. A DVC purchase is a way of committing to an annual Disney vacation with family and friends. For some people, that may outweigh any financial considerations. DVC will pay dividends beyond mere dollars and cents – your return on investment will be the joyous times, the family gatherings, and the experiences of a lifetime.

    I am a happy DVC member and can recommend it to others.

    Only you can determine if DVC membership makes sense for your situation, based upon your lifestyle and financial capabilities.
    What a great rundown, did you come up with that yourself? Thanks for the explanation.

  9. #9

    •   
    • At one w/ our Disneyness
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Pacific NorthWest
    Posts
    2,487

    Re: DVC Good deal, or Bad?

    I'm bummed they are only building 50 DVC units for California. I've been waiting to become a DVC member for years waiting for a west coast "home" base share. CM's told me the existing DVC members will have first right of refusal on the new Grand Californian Units/shares....hmmmm 350K members, y'think any of those units will ever make it out to the general public??

  10. #10

    • New Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    36

    Re: DVC Good deal, or Bad?

    Quote Originally Posted by DVC Mike View Post
    According to the press release issued today for the Grand Californian DVC at Disneyland, DVC now has 350,000 members. That's double the number of members they had in 2003.
    hi Mike.

    can you link the press release here. 350,000 members - when the last I heard it only 200,000 - (last year I think)

  11. #11

    • New Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    36

    Re: DVC Good deal, or Bad?

    been a member since 1993.

    for me it is a good deal! a great deal! depends upon you.

    if you are the type that once stayed in a hotel room with your entire family. then it can work if you stay with a studio until you pay it off.

    I paid if off a while ago but still stay in studios - they are the best for what I want to do.

    now if you decide that you can immediately go with a 2-bedroom and your family group is 4 or smaller - well then you might have some financial problems.

    that say if you now stay in 2 rooms at a deluxe or even a moderate - you will be better off with a DVC villa.

    just remember that how long you finance the DVC contract to just stay in studios (if you can) until it is pay off.

    you rent the excess points to help pay off.

    I certainly don't make a ton of money and had to finanace my first purchase.

    so you can do it.

    also if you don't go to WDW at least every other year (okay might be adding DL too shortly) - then no it is NOT worth it.

    DVC is designed for us who love Disney especially WDW and want to go each and every year.

    I have other timeshares that I use for trading. won't trade my DVC points until I have too.

  12. #12

    •   
    • Circle of Ancients
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Portland, Oregon
    Posts
    15,088

    Re: DVC Good deal, or Bad?

    Disney knows what it is doing......DVC is neither a good deal nor a bad deal; it is what it is and some people are in a position to take better advantage of it than others.

    That being said I am kicking myself for not buying into it 10 years ago....
    Waiting for Godot Micechat.com

  13. #13

    • DVC - BLT/BWV/BCV/VWL/VGC
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    550 miles from WDW
    Posts
    153

    Re: DVC Good deal, or Bad?

    Quote Originally Posted by spiceypj View Post
    hi Mike.

    can you link the press release here. 350,000 members - when the last I heard it only 200,000 - (last year I think)
    http://dvc.disney.go.com/dvc/miniSit...essReleasePage

    Disney Vacation Club, currently celebrating its milestone 15th anniversary, has grown to serve more than 350,000 individual members from more than 100 countries and all 50 U.S. states
    DVC Member - My Home Resorts: Bay Lake Tower, Boardwalk Villas, and Villas at the Grand Floridian



  14. #14

    • DVC - BLT/BWV/BCV/VWL/VGC
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    550 miles from WDW
    Posts
    153

    Re: DVC Good deal, or Bad?

    For those interested in a financial analysis, here is one of many that are commonly available:

    http://dvcnews.com/index.php?option=...=55&Itemid=148
    DVC Member - My Home Resorts: Bay Lake Tower, Boardwalk Villas, and Villas at the Grand Floridian



  15. #15

    • no flash photography...
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    In my own little world..
    Posts
    13,287

    Re: DVC Good deal, or Bad?

    I went to the presentation at DL and they gave me a lot of info, but the one question she really hedged on was, "how hard is it to book a room, because I've heard people can't get rooms for when they want to go. " she really did not haver an answer. So, is it difficult to get the place for when you want to go? and not just the wdw rooms, but the other non disney places as well?

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Is either of these a good computer/deal?
    By DOOM BGI in forum The Tech Lounge
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 09-13-2007, 05:20 AM
  2. Help! Is this a good deal?
    By CarnationPink in forum Disney Interactive and Game Industry Discussion
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 02-02-2007, 05:57 PM
  3. Did I get a good deal?
    By BDBopper in forum The Tech Lounge
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 08-16-2006, 06:12 PM
  4. Is this a good deal?
    By Morrigoon in forum The Tech Lounge
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 09-22-2005, 09:41 PM
  5. Magic Your Way w/ Dining is it a good deal?
    By travman in forum Walt Disney World Resort
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 05-13-2005, 04:40 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •