Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• Minion

What do you actually get?

What do you actually get when you become a DVC member?
    Har har har

• no flash photography...

Re: What do you actually get?

I think a monthly payment and some points.

I'm waiting for the stuff to come in the mail. I think I may just ask this weekend at the parks.

I was not interested until I heard an=bout the Hawaii place. Although I like going to DL I don;t need a time share for that. I mean going to a theme park for a real vacation every year is not the thing for me, but if they have other destinations....then that's another story.

• Done and Gone

There's the obvious ability to stay at some nice hotels at WDW, Vero Beach and Hilton Head (and expanding soon of course to DL and beyond). There is also the ability to exchange and try other locations around the world which is cool. Already we have given a week to my brother in law for his honeymoon, and will be giving a week to a cousin for her honeymoon next year. (And I still have enough points to take our yearly WDW trip.) Needless to say, there's a lot to do with your points.

Points are not easy for me to translate into $$. However, your points go a lot further if you go off season which is great for my wife and I. If your asking about discounts for purchases and such, then there are some benefits but nothing that great. AP's for WDW are a nice price and we got a free pair when we first bought in. We are paying on the 10 year plan but are hoping to have it done in 4 years.

• Why can't you tune a fish

Quote Originally Posted by garbear View Post
    What do you actually get when you become a DVC member?

Are you familar with a time share? It's sort of like that. But instead of being locked into a specific week, you get points. How many points? As many as you want to (or should I say, can afford to) buy.

What do you do with points? You use them to book rooms.

Each year you get an alottment of points. Each room has a point "cost" based on a number of factors - the size of the room (studio, 1BR, 2BR, Grand Villa), the season of the year, the particular resort (some are more than others), and the day of the week (weekends "cost" more).

You call up and book your room using your points. If you have any unused points left over at the end of the year, you can bank them for use in the next year (then after that they expire - you can only bank for one year). If you really wanted a special vacation and were short points, you can also borrow from one year in the future.

That means, with planning, you can use 3 years worth of points at once. Lets say you have a 200 point plan. In 2008 you get your 200 points - and you stick them in the bank. In 2009 you get your 2009 allotment of 200 points, plus you have your banked 2008 points for a total of 400. Now you can borrow your 2010 points, for a total of 600 points to use. Of course you will then have no points to use in 2010, but thems the breaks.

Thats it in a nutshell, if you want more info, just ask.

-dave
    "I'm gonna build my own amusement park. But with gambling and hookers!" - Bender
    "You should never underestimate the predictability of stupidity." - Bullet Tooth Tony

•   
    • At one w/ our Disneyness

So for someone that wants to go every year for 7nights, family of 4 staying in a 1bd rm or something similar....what might be a recommended number of points to purchase?

• DVC - BLT/BWV/BCV/VWL/VGC

Quote Originally Posted by All4dISNEY View Post
    So for someone that wants to go every year for 7nights, family of 4 staying in a 1bd rm or something similar....what might be a recommended number of points to purchase?
    The point cost will vary depending upon:

1) The time of year (season) you go
    2) The accomodation (studio, 1BR, 2BR, GV)
    3) The "view" you want
    4) The resort you are interested in
    5) the day of the week (Fri/Sat nights are more expensive)

Here is a sample point chart for the Animal Kingdom Villas:

http://www.mouseowners.com/AKVPoints.html
    DVC Member - My Home Resorts: Bay Lake Tower, Boardwalk Villas, and Villas at the Grand Floridian

How much do the yearly dues usually increase?

Quote Originally Posted by SCUBAbe View Post
    How much do the yearly dues usually increase?
    See:

http://www.mouseowners.com/DuesHistories.html
    DVC Member - My Home Resorts: Bay Lake Tower, Boardwalk Villas, and Villas at the Grand Floridian

The $75 to $95 fee for booking vacation.....is that every time you book a vacation or just for certain vacation destinations?

Quote Originally Posted by SCUBAbe View Post
    The $75 to $95 fee for booking vacation.....is that every time you book a vacation or just for certain vacation destinations?
    There is no booking fee when making a reservation at a DVC resort.

There is a $95 booking fee for the Disney Collection (excluding Disneyland Resort Hotels in California), World Passport Collection, Concierge Collection and Adventurer Collection. This includes stays at the non-DVC resorts at Walt Disney World (Disneyland resort stays are currently exempt).

•   
    • Circle of Ancients

Also note that the number of points you need to stay on a Friday and Saturday night is much, much greater than for Sunday - Thursday nights.

For this reason many people choose to go twice a year 5 nights each rather than just once a year for 7 nights.

Some DVCer's also mix and match; stay 5 nights at one DVC resort, than move to a moderate resort(paying cash) for a couple of nights and than stay another 4 or 5 nights at a different DVC Resort
    Waiting for Godot Micechat.com

• Done and Gone

My 2 cents is, look at what time of year you usually vacation and then look at the points charts and get a good idea of what you will need. My wife and I vacation in September so our points cost is much lower than if we went during peak times. Our vacations will probably shift someday if we have kids so we made sure to have enough for at least a week during peak times as well.

• Senior Minion

You also get an empty wallet ...

Seriously though, I have never approached those vendor carts myself. But from what I read you have to pay somewhere in the area of $16,000 + up front to start ... and then from this you are charged a monthly fee as well. Is that right?

• Disneyholic

Quote Originally Posted by TikiRoomLiz View Post
    You also get an empty wallet ...

Seriously though, I have never approached those vendor carts myself. But from what I read you have to pay somewhere in the area of $16,000 + up front to start ... and then from this you are charged a monthly fee as well. Is that right?

Yes and no, you can finance the up front fee but your can probably get a better rate on you credit card. I believe its a annual fee not a monthly fee, basically its like you condo association dues or regular timeshare "maintenance".

My wife and I are going to look into it this trip in earnest. We figure we usually do at least one trip a year down there it may be worth it for us since we usually stay in the deluxe hotels. We figure we're spending ~3.5K a year now in the long run it's cheaper to lock in the rate with the DVC for say 17-20K vs spending 35K over the next 10 years. You also get discounts on annual passes and Disney dining program which we would have to add to the cost and maintenance but after 7-8 years you are ahead of the game, and you can use it in other timeshares around the world.

Now compare that with say a condo at the beach at Ocean city MD. My Brother in law just spent over a million on a 2 bedroom condo on the bay side. He's planing on having to pay around 2-3K a year in condo fees and maintenance allocations. Now yes he can go anytime he wants to but he cannot trade it for say a weekend at DL or another location, he has to pay a lot of taxes on it, and probably will not get his money back out of it anytime soon as the real estate market is slowing down. And he has to furnish, clean, and maintain the interior himself. Ya know I think the DVC is a much better deal... I don't need 2 houses to take care of!
    Hi I'm Jerren and I'm a Disneyholic...

• Why can't you tune a fish

Quote Originally Posted by Jerren View Post
    I believe its a annual fee not a monthly fee, basically its like you condo association dues or regular timeshare "maintenance".

It's both

It's an annual fee, but if you want, the DVC will bill you monthly.

Mickey sucks $80.88 every month out of my checking account like clockwork

-dave
    "I'm gonna build my own amusement park. But with gambling and hookers!" - Bender
    "You should never underestimate the predictability of stupidity." - Bullet Tooth Tony

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast