View Poll Results: Should DLP get Splash ountain as soon as possibe?

Voters
54. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

21 38.89%
  • Certainly

5 9.26%
  • Definately

9 16.67%
  • Positively

3 5.56%
  • Assuredly

1 1.85%
  • Unquestionably

3 5.56%
  • Emphatically

12 22.22%
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

• Pirate - G'har!

Re: Should DLP get Splash Mountain?

Please don't kill me, but I never cared too much for The Jungle Book (waits for abuse because I prefer Pocahontas to the Jungle Book), so I guess I wouldn't like that too much, and while I like Tarzan, it aint a Splash Mountain. I just think Pocahontas' music is very atmospheric (think 'Listen With Your Heart') and its scenes are better suited to this type of ride than the Jungle Book (I mean, the whole idea of a boat/canoe is used heavily in Pocahontas and the ride-type matches one of the musical numbers perfectly!). I can just see the boat curving into the 'Colours of the Wind' section with coloured leaves flying about and Pocahontas and John Smith embracing, wind machine blowing and inspiring music playing (Vanessa Williams' version is a crappy power-ballad yes, but the real song is not). Still, I'm fighting a major losing battle here...

• Senior Minion

Isn't Pocahontas as dodgy as SotS when it comes to racial tensions? Although the plight of the 'native American' is of less interest to Europeans, I think that the movie in general is one that Disney would now prefer to sweep under the carpet.
    WDW - 1987 & 1991
    DLP - 1996, 2004, 2006 & 2007
    DLR - October 2011

• is satisfactual.

Quote Originally Posted by nathan detroit View Post
    Isn't Pocahontas as dodgy as SotS when it comes to racial tensions? Although the plight of the 'native American' is of less interest to Europeans, I think that the movie in general is one that Disney would now prefer to sweep under the carpet.
    I never got that whole uproar. The 1990s were just as politically correct as the 2000s, after all, and it seems to me Disney made a careful effort to portray Native Americans as a family-oriented, good-looking bunch with a relevant culture, while the white man is portrayed as a buffoon with a gun. Nevertheless, advocacy groups had a mile-long list of things to be offended about. I think they missed the point.

What was offensive to me was the liberties they took with historical facts. In that respect, it is truly one of Disney's most ridiculous endeavors. But we've discussed this before, haven't we.

• Pirate - G'har!

I wouldn't say Pocahontas is something Disney wanted to sweep under the rug, certainly not to SotS's extent (they'll never sweep that under the rug cos of Splash Mountain). I agree with Puss about the uproar, I think it would happen however the native americans were portrayed ('then why portray them?' I hear you cry). As for historical fact, I just like to forget that and enjoy the movie, knowing it's essentially a load o' balls. Oh, and for the record, I'd love to see a Pocahontas stage musical, I think it would work far better on stage (whereas, for example, I feel Hunchback is decidedly a film, not that I've seen Die Glocken), no silly animals, some more mature material added, but hey, I'm dreaming.

Maybe not Pocahontas, maybe not Jungle Book, but not SotS, for all the reasons that have been discussed, but especially just to do something different!

• We want the Read Head !

Well the movie is not really popular in France even if the music seems familiar to everyone (it has been used a lot in many TV shows and commercials)

But the good point is that the controversy is not known at all (except from some Disneyanas !)

Even if I really enjoyed Splash Mountain, I'd rather prefer Indiana Jones Adventure that as something absolutely unique !

• Senior Minion

Quote Originally Posted by fizzog View Post
    I wouldn't say Pocahontas is something Disney wanted to sweep under the rug, certainly not to SotS's extent (they'll never sweep that under the rug cos of Splash Mountain). I agree with Puss about the uproar, I think it would happen however the native americans were portrayed ('then why portray them?' I hear you cry). As for historical fact, I just like to forget that and enjoy the movie, knowing it's essentially a load o' balls. Oh, and for the record, I'd love to see a Pocahontas stage musical, I think it would work far better on stage (whereas, for example, I feel Hunchback is decidedly a film, not that I've seen Die Glocken), no silly animals, some more mature material added, but hey, I'm dreaming.

Maybe not Pocahontas, maybe not Jungle Book, but not SotS, for all the reasons that have been discussed, but especially just to do something different!
    I have to disagree completely with you on one point there Fizzy - Hunchback is far and away the most suitable movie to get a Broadway make-over. I haven't seen Die Gloken either but have beeon hunting the soundtrack down for years (I believe that they dispensed with the gargoyles). Pocahotas, as Puss points out, seems to have been written to a formula and it just screams 'bland'. And although parts of the score are good, the whole does not equal the sum of its parts - surely Alan Menken and Stephen Schwartz could come up with something better? Oh that's right they did - Hunchback!
    Last edited by nathan detroit; 07-28-2008 at 03:33 AM.
    WDW - 1987 & 1991
    DLR - October 2011

• Pirate - G'har!

(I believe that they dispensed with the gargoyles)
    Ah but they didn't, and 'A Guy Like You' is still in there. Hunchback's score is infinitely better than Pocahontas', but I think the scenraios would be hard to re-create effectively on stage without going for a modern approach which I think is all wrong for the material (I haven't fallen in love with the Glocklen stuff I've seen on YouTube). Anyhoo, this aint about film quality. Fact is, DLRP does need Splash Mountain (and ideally Indy too but Splash is more important I feel) whatever theme it is, but surely Disney would not want to use something which they surely would rather never bring up again for obvious reasons. Am I the only one that thinks SotS is not a good choice IRREGARDLESS of the original being loved and a classic.

• Senior Minion

I would like Splash in any form and am far from stuck on SOTS.

Indy though? Will the ride require you to climb into a fridge and cruise past a bunch of badly-rendered gophers before swinging through the trees with a bunch of badly-rendered monkeys? Indy's credibility has slipped somewhat in the past few months...
    WDW - 1987 & 1991
    DLR - October 2011

• Senior Minion

Quote Originally Posted by fizzog View Post
    (I haven't fallen in love with the Glocklen stuff I've seen on YouTube). .
    Thanks for the heads-up. I went on to youtube and I quite like the footage of Die Gloken (I will now hunt for the DVD instead of the CD although I cannot speak a word of German). It is certainly a lot more faithful to the movie than I had expected (although the choreography needs work!). A modern take on a Disney movie can be done (what is The Lion King if not 'modern'?) but they need to beware because bad design and costumes can ruin an excellent score and story*
    Anyway, back to topic. Go Splash!!!

*see The Little Mermaid
    WDW - 1987 & 1991
    DLR - October 2011

• Hitchhiker

I would like Splash in any form and am far from stuck on SOTS.
    Now that we have Star Tours and Indiana Jones, Zarniwoop's home imagineering proudly presents:

Lucky Luke and the Daltons

- European comic hero, from France and Belgium
    - log flume ride
    - "lonesome cowboy" music theme in the end of ride
    - Adventure and humor in spirit of Splash Mountain
    - Made for Frontierland

I know there can be some rights issues, but:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lucky_Luke

"Four theatrical animated films were created. In 1990, Disney released one of them, The Ballad of the Daltons"
    Last edited by Zarniwoop; 07-28-2008 at 08:57 AM.
    ----
    Cheers,
    Zarniwoop

• Senior Minion

I am aware of Lucky Luke and remember some of the comics. The characters always reminded me of Asterix and friends (perhaps because of Goscinny's involvement?). Not really in the same league as Indy and Star Wars though are they?! stck 'em in Parc Asterix instead!
    WDW - 1987 & 1991
    DLR - October 2011

• Hitchhiker

Not really in the same league as Indy and Star Wars though are they?!
    Nope, but now we're looking an option for Song of South. Indy and SW were an example of non-Disney proprietor attractions.
    ----
    Cheers,
    Zarniwoop

• No honestly it is me

Picture it - a lazy float down the river in a canoe not unlike the one that baby Mowgli is found in. Starting at the man village and eventually finding Baloo where the music moves up a notch to The Bare Necessities. A blast of panic as the monkies appear and then we are in to the big set-piece of I Wanna Be Like You concluding with the destruction of the temple. We can then pass through 'the calm before the storm' in the company of Kaa and possibly the vultures before Shere Kahn makes his big entrance (he will have been subtley concealed in the scenes prior too) with a flash of lightning. The storm and big fight leads to the drop and instead of the briar patch, we find ourselves back at the man village where Mowgli joins Shanti and Baloo dances off with Baghera.

...Not that I've thought much about this of course!
    I love that idea, I can almost picture it!

Quote Originally Posted by La Rouquine View Post
    Even if I really enjoyed Splash Mountain, I'd rather prefer Indiana Jones Adventure that is something absolutely unique !
    I agree completely but it's looking more likely it will be splash now.

Indy though? Will the ride require you to climb into a fridge and cruise past a bunch of badly-rendered gophers before swinging through the trees with a bunch of badly-rendered monkeys? Indy's credibility has slipped somewhat in the past few months...
    Not sure I agree with you there, the film wasn't that bad, it still had enough Indy magic to have me grinning from ear to ear all the way though (with the exception of the stupid CGI monkeys scene!)

Indy is one of those things that will always be popular just like the original Star Wars films. All they need do is build a similar version to the 3 already in operation, we have already seen the blue prints so the work has been done!

Part of me kind of wants something like the POTC/Splash hybrid which was planned for Hong Kong Disneyland, (I can just picture the mountainous/creepy prison which jack escapes from at the beginning of POTC 2 being the main show building) the only problem being we already have a POTC ride!

• Senior Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Zarniwoop View Post
    Nope, but now we're looking an option for Song of South. Indy and SW were an example of non-Disney proprietor attractions.
    Yes, but with the legal wrangling that surrounds a half-Disney property like *grits teeth* Roger Rabbit, I very much doubt that Disney would risk getting into bed with another rights holder unless it was something massive - Indy or Star Wars for example.
    Of course both those properties are unique in that Mr Lucas had the brillant sense to hold onto all of the rights to the characters himself and so no specific studio can lay claim to them (hence the latest Star Wars movie being released by Warners). This way Disney have only had to come to an agreement with Lucasfilm - and Mr Lucas has shown that when money is involved, he is quite happy to slap his characters onto anything (this in no way reflects badly on the Disney rides and shows - just on the cheaply-made over-priced merchandise that I have wasted my money on over the past 30 or so years)
    Involving another studio would be logistically crazy (see the problems with 'Disney-MGM Studios'?) and bringing in non-Disney cartoon characters just plain crazy. If Lucky Luke would be a concession to the Europeans, then Disney has a much more viable option in its stable already and which is even more popular in Europe - ladies and gentlemen, I proudly open another can of worms and give you.... Uncle Scrooge and the residents of Duckburg!
    An Indy-style jungle-based ride depicting Scrooge's adventures is my dream - although I doubt whether Disney would ever consider investing so much into such 'niche' characters (and many people only equate Scrooge to the so-so show DuckTales)

(I am so pro-Scrooge at the moment because only just today I retreived the first of many boxes from storage, containing large quantities of Gladstone Disney comics dating back about 20 years! So what am I doing here?! Excuse me....)
    Last edited by nathan detroit; 07-28-2008 at 01:11 PM.
    WDW - 1987 & 1991
    DLR - October 2011

• Hitchhiker

(I am so pro-Scrooge at the moment because only just today I retreived the first of many boxes from storage, containing large quantities of Gladstone Disney comics dating back about 20 years! So what am I doing here?! Excuse me....)
    I've collected every single (weekly) issue of local Donald Duck magazine since 1972, and some earlier issues. (They've published the magazine since 1951 here) I've got Don Rosa's autographed hard covered books, including The Life and Times of Scrooge McDuck 1 and 2. Since 1978 we've got monthly Uncle-Scrooge's pocket size comic book and I've got them all.

You can call me pro-Srooge too.

Disney comics are so popular in Europe DLRP made a big mistake not to count them in. Splash Mountain would be a turn to right direction (we've got comics of Brer Rabbit and co.)

Time for Duckburg theme park discussion? 3rd gate for DLRP?
    ----
    Cheers,
    Zarniwoop

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast