Page 1 of 7 1234 ... LastLast

• Senior Minion

Could Scrooge Bring Riches to DLP?

So this is a subject that we have discussed before, but with it coming up on another thread I felt that it was about time to revive it for some fresh discussion and debate.

DLP is in Europe. DLP has made some concessions to being in Europe - the (original) design of Discoveryland for one - but generally could be placed anywhere in the world. The talk of a Ratatouille ride coming to DLP is promising. The film did average business in the US but was a great success in Europe seemingly due to a smart script and a more sophisticated air (and the fact that it is set quite definately in Paris). So will DLP take this further? Will it look at the Disney properties that do well in Europe and introduce those to the park as a way to make it more the continent's 'own'. Perhaps the park would benefit from a more European vibe since many Europeans are far from keen on Americana.

And has Disney got such a property? Do they own characters who appeal to a wide selection of the European market but are still recognisable as 'Disney Characters'? Look no further than (and you know what's coming next if you know me...)... Scrooge McDuck and the residents of Duckburg!

Although Disney comics have not been produced in America for at least 10 years and the UK only produces Disney comics for under-6's, the adventures of Scrooge (as well as Mickey, Donald etc) in print are big business in many European countries - Italy, Germany and the Netherlands to name a few.

So would DLP ever consider developing these characters within the parks as a way to perhaps bring more people in from these countries? Should they? Other (more obscure) characters that have booming comic book careers include Brer Rabbit and chums (Splash Mountain?), the Three Little Pigs and Big Bad Wolf, Jose Carioca, and Scamp (son of Lady and the Tramp). Plus by opening up these doors, the park can then introduce a whole set of supporting characters from the worlds of the mouse and the duck - Gyro Gearloose, Gladstone Gander, the Beagle Boys, Morty & Ferdy, Chief O'Hara, The Phantom Blot, Eager Beaver - the list is almost endless. There are even superheroes - Paperinik and Super Goof!

So what do we think? Should Duckburg be made a third gate? Or a mini-land? Or maybe just even a ride or a meet&greet area (Scrooge recently appearing daily at WDs is a nice start)?
    WDW - 1987 & 1991
    DLP - 1996, 2004, 2006 & 2007
    DLR - October 2011

Re: Could Scrooge Bring Riches to DLP?

That's a great ideia. I think that it could be more of a land than a third gate. They could add something like that to DLP, becoming our "Toon Town Fair", since this characters are far more popular in Europe than in the States

• is satisfactual.

I had a map drawn up for this park when I was 14. It was horribly unpractical and Utopian, and possibly idiotic, although parts of it would later appear, almost exactly as I had envisioned them, at Tokyo DisneySea (and they paid me nothing). There was a logo, too, and blurbs. I promise it was the last armchair Imagineering I'll ever engage in, at least to that extent, and you will never have to see any of this stuff, haha.

Being ridiculously old now, I can see that it isn't very likely that any resort outside of Tokyo, let alone Disneyland Paris, would think to invest in a Tokyo DisneySea-style park based on such a frighteningly untested theme. Then again, as Walt Disney World and Disneyland have a park to compete with every one of their neighbor parks, Disneyland Paris could want to compete with the comic book-based theme park of Parc Asterix. Who knows. One day.

• Pirate - G'har!

Duckburg 3rd gate? Any version or take on 'Toon Town Fair'? HAS THE WORLD GONE MAD?!?!?!?!?!?!

Meet 'n' greet fair enough.

• Senior Minion

Third gate is obviously going too far but a mini-land would be reasonable I think. I liked Mickey's Toon Town when I was last at WDW - although this was nearly 20 years ago and it was still relatively new. I don't see why the imagineers couldn't design a Main Street type land with a little more cartooniness. With the exception of the fact that the characters were huminised animals, the settings for the comic stories tend to be quite realistic with just a dash of the quirky. Mickey's Toon Town went a little to far in cartooniness for my tastes but it did also feature a direct reference to Duckburg (which the land origianlly claimed to be) with a statue of Cornelius Coot the founder of Duckburg, the design of which was ripped straight from the pages of a Carl barks comic (I have a picture somewhere...)
    My concern about Duckburg would be the monolithic nature of Scrooge's Money Bin. If it were to appear it could be put in the distance with forced perspective, but a ride based around it? That could be fun!
    WDW - 1987 & 1991
    DLR - October 2011

• Pirate - G'har!

As I've said before, the concept of 'Toons' should be totally exluded from Disneyland Park as far as I'm concerned. The idea of the lands is that each represents a classic theme or idea, adventure, wild west, the future, fantasy, ya can't just stick Duckburg at the top end, it'd be a horrible clash of styles and I just don't think a Duckburg mini-land would be a worthwhile investment for DLRP as far as 'how many visitors are attracted' is concerned. Toon Studios is the place to put anything Duckburg-related, a ride, a meet 'n' greet, whatever, but frankly, I don't think Mickey Mouse himself deserves a hideous 'mini-land' at WDW or DLR, so why should the residents of Duckburg?

• Senior Minion

As a long-time collector and reader of Disney comics, let me assure you that Duckburg is far from 'toony' and is an immersive universe full of small details and well rounded characters - ideal to exploit by DLP.
    I hate to bang on about it but dismissing Scrooge and co as 'toons' is exactly why Disney comics died in the US and the UK. I would argue that the writing and art in the best of these stories knocks any superhero into a cocked (top) hat. These are not 'toons' and are not (only) for kids - they deserve recognition.

(Sorry Fizzy but you hit a bit of a nerve there!)
    WDW - 1987 & 1991
    DLR - October 2011

• Pirate - G'har!

Lots of characters/people deserve recognition, but at the end of the day it boils down to will a Duckburg land make lots of sweet cash for DLRP? I don't think so. (I'm using 'toons' in an 'animated characters' way, not in a trashy for kids way)

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by pussnboots View Post
    Being ridiculously old now, I can see that it isn't very likely that any resort outside of Tokyo, let alone Disneyland Paris, would think to invest in a Tokyo DisneySea-style park based on such a frighteningly untested theme.
    This is why I do not bother with this type of "what if" threads.
    I am out of here.

• Senior Minion

Ah! Sanctuary!
    WDW - 1987 & 1991
    DLR - October 2011

• Bangarang!

I'm a big fan of the Ducks, but I can't see either a 3rd gate or even a mini land based around them really doing much.

Sure us fans would love it, but to Joe Public, its all about the characters du jour.

• Pirate - G'har!

TDLFAN I wasn't aware you were ever inna here :-S. I think a photo location in Toon Studio would be great, but if I'm honest I doubt DLRP will even get that. It just seems unlikely.

Quote Originally Posted by Hathaway Browne View Post
    I'm a big fan of the Ducks, but I can't see either a 3rd gate or even a mini land based around them really doing much.

Sure us fans would love it, but to Joe Public, its all about the characters du jour.
    For at least the Dutch audience all the Ducks characters have been the characters du jour for over 50 years now. The Donald Duck weekly magazine is so popular over here it feels more like typical Dutch than something American.

Bringing Duckburg and it's inhabitants to life would really be suiting the parks to the local culture for as far as the Dutch audience is concerned, rest assured about that.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by nathan detroit View Post
    Ah! Sanctuary!
    Big Mistake. Now I am here to stay and will be monitoring the action.

• Senior Minion

Quote Originally Posted by TDLFAN View Post
    Big Mistake. Now I am here to stay and will be monitoring the action.

WDW - 1987 & 1991
    DLR - October 2011

Page 1 of 7 1234 ... LastLast