• No honestly it is me

Will Johnny Depp save Alice's Curious Labrinth?

Ok so we all know how Alice's Curious Labrinth has been left to fall into a terrible state but could Johnny Depp save this unique attraction?

According to the article linked below Tim Burton is planning an Alice in Wonderland remake and who does he have in mind for the Mad Hatter? Johnny Depp that's who. Looks like this is a Disney film which leads me to believe that our Labrinth would HAVE to get some serious TLC just before this film is released.

What does everytone think? Too much to hope for perhaps?

http://www.empireonline.com/news/story.asp?NID=23003

• Senior Minion

Re: Will Johnny Depp save Alice's Curious Labrinth?

When I read this thread's title I was worried that there were plans afoot to add Jack Sparrow to the labyrinth!

The news of this movie is pretty old (originally it was planned to be 'Alice in Sunderland' and based on a graphic novel telling the history of a city which strangely is my home town - Carroll apparently wrote some of the books here including The Walrus and the Carpenter).
    Although this version will not be Disney, I do agree that Disney should use this as a good a reason as any to cash in on their version. If this means a labyrinth make-over - great!
    WDW - 1987 & 1991
    DLP - 1996, 2004, 2006 & 2007
    DLR - October 2011

• No honestly it is me

Alice in Sunderland? Sounds like a classic to me!

How can you be sure it won't be a Disney film, this seems to suggest it to me:
    "We must stress again that this is not definite and Disney could not confirm it."

Why would Disney need to confirm anything if the film is nothing to do with them?

• Senior Minion

Found this on IMDB -

Tim Burton is currently in pre-production on a new version of Alice In Wonderland for Disney. And reports came out last week that actress Mia Wasikowska (Rogue) has been cast as "Alice". Now Aint It Cool News got a tip from a reader off of MSN that Johnny Depp will play "The Mad Hatter"! This casting has yet to be confirmed but considering Burton and Depp's history together (Sweeney Todd, Sleepy Hollow, Edward Scissorhands), it wouldn't come as a surprise! Check out Aint It Cool's original article Here! No new word on the rumored Dark Shadows project from Depp & Burton that he reported on Here, but we'll keep you posted!

So it looks to be Disney.

My worry is that if this new version (which will apparently be partly motion capture ala Beowulf and Polar Express) is Disney, then DLP may well turf out all of the classic versions of the characters and replace them with Burton's grotesques.
    WDW - 1987 & 1991
    DLR - October 2011

• Disappearing/Reappearing

oooo, I SOOOOO hope that our dearest Johnny will play the Mad Hatter. He would be deliciously perfect!!!!

I'm already excited about this movie!!

• Pirate - G'har!

I don't know whether this movie sounds inspired or horrendous. I think Tim Burton would put a deliciously dark and creepy spin on Alice in Wonderland, but I hated Charlie and the Chocolate Factory. I think the maze should be left alone though, as Fantasyland is for Disney's animated fairy tale classics, not Tim Burton's creepy gothic creations (plus it would be really out of place).

• Hola Yola!

Quote Originally Posted by nathan detroit View Post
    My worry is that if this new version (which will apparently be partly motion capture ala Beowulf and Polar Express) is Disney, then DLP may well turf out all of the classic versions of the characters and replace them with Burton's grotesques.
    I don't know... they seem far more likely to simply ignore the film and leave the labyrinth in exactly the same state as it is now.

• Pirate - G'har!

True. Sad but true.

Yep I cant find a better actor to do that role too. Johhny as Mad Hatter. Great !!!
    Just hope it will save the DLP labrinth.

• Waiting for my E-Ticket

Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota

• "I Break Things"

It's not like Disneyland's POC where the characters are real flesh and blood to begin with. I agree with others that it should be left to the Disney Classics.
    "Happiness is a Low Water Level"

"Creating magical memories and making Managers cry since 1955!"

• Banned User

Guernsey, Channel Islands, United Kingdom

A refurbishment to the Labrinth is happening soon, but thats likely has nothing to do with the new Tim Burton movie coming out. But I do have a horrible feeling if Tim Burton's Alice In Wonderland was a suscess, Disney would milk as much cash out of it as possible. Could a updated makeover to the Labrinth be an idea, surely I hope not as it would ruin the theme. However it would make for a cool tempory Halloween addition.

As for the movie very much looking forward to it, Johnny Depp is in my opinion one of the best and he could take any role and make it special. Hope the rumours that he has signed up are true.

• Senior Minion

But unless Depp is playing multiple roles or the part of the Hatter is being enlarged, our Johnny-boy is hardly going to be the star of the show is he? The story is painfully episodic.
    WDW - 1987 & 1991
    DLR - October 2011