Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• Gt Big Beautiful Tomorrow

Day 1 - Arras enroute to DLP

Hi folks,

We returned 1am yesterday from our trip to France (inc DLP of course). I don't know if anyone is interested, but I thought I would share.

We departed our house at about 8:00 and drove down to the Channel Tunnel, a pretty smooth uneventful 3 hours and then we were able to take an earlier train through the tunnel. Loaded the cars on and off we went, 35 mins later we were in France, and off to our first stop in Arras (about halfway between Calais and DLP).

We had stopped here before when Mikey was a baby, but never really looked around. This day we explored. We stayed at the Holiday Inn Express for about 70 euro, £56, $112 for bed, breakfast and parking. Not bad and a great location (me missed Metallica's concert in the Grand Place by a few days )

We explored, shopped a little and then went into the wonderful caves under the town. A facinating tour presented in French in English. It rained a little, but not too bad.

We then had a a lovely dinner in a Medeterranian restaurant and an early night. we had hoped to go to Parc Asterix the next day.

Pics including more detail trip report:

http://www.kodakgallery.co.uk/I.jsp?...localeid=en_GB
    Let's put the Walt back in Disney!

• Minion

Re: Day 1 - Arras enroute to DLP

Arras looks really nice. Reminds me a bit of Brugge.

I think I stopped at Arras services on my way to DLRP earlier in the year. Small world isn't it?

"We're not trying to entertain the critics ... I'll take my chances with the public." -
    Walt Disney

We got up early today, hoping to head out to Parc Asterix on the Friday rather than a weekend. When we woke up, the heavens had opened up, and clearly going to a non DLP theme park with little ones was a bad idea.

We decided to take a leisurely journey for the day (only a 90 min drive to the next hotel if we were pushing it).

We first of all went to the lovely town of Noyon and enjoyed the mix of architectural styles.

Then off to Compiegne, where I went on French exchange as a teen. Drove around the town including past the palace of Napolean and Josephine and into the forest.

After encountering a cross country horse race, we passed the Armistace Carriage of WWI (will stop by when the kids are a little older) and went to the storybook town of Pierrefonds.

We enjoyed the views of the castle, took in a small lunch at the cafe (croque Massuers, Saucisse de Frankfort avec frites and Leffe). Not the healthiest, but quick as the kids were hungry.

It was pouring with rain, so we went to a free craft exhibits where using my broken french and their broken english, we chatted for about an hour while the kids played with the yorkshire terrier puppy that was there. The quilting work and paintings were good too and it was a fun little diversion.

At about 3pm we decided to head to our hotel. We decided to stop at the Holiday Inn at Roissy near Charle de Gaul airport. No pool, but other than that, it was definately 4 star all the way.

We were upgraded to an executive room with robes and slippers and we were very pleased with the hotel.

We chose it to earn more points towards future DLP trips and also because of it's location. 15mins from Parc Asterix, a free shuttle to the metro station for easy access to Paris, and about 45 mins from DLP. We thought it would give us lots of options (which it did).

That evening we dolled ourselves up a bit and went down for dinner. We had a wonderful 3 course meal with a bottle of Cote de Rhone, and Sarah's duck was to die for (plus kids eat free).

This was a great choice. The room was a special rate of 79 Euro (£64 or $128 a night including parking). Dinner was good value considering it was an airport hotel - 124 euro - much cheaper than the DLP offerings (£100, $200). I recommend it for those that want a clean, modern, large room with good service not in the city.

More details and pics:

http://www.kodakgallery.co.uk/I.jsp?...localeid=en_GB

• Membre

Very good trip repot davewasbaloo !!!
    I've never been to Arras nor parc Astérix. I realise I don't know much about north of France...
    However, it seems quite like, we, southern French assume it is : rainy.

• Banned User

I am glad you had a great trip, when I get time I will go look at the pics. maybe next time you will post them here so folks do not have to go else where to scroll thru them. makes it easier and best

• is satisfactual.

Quote Originally Posted by Hakuna Makarla View Post
    I am glad you had a great trip, when I get time I will go look at the pics. maybe next time you will post them here so folks do not have to go else where to scroll thru them. makes it easier and best
    Actually, a forum post with 30 large pictures can crash many a computer. My four-year-old PowerBook is grateful he chose this.

Arras looks lovely – that castle! They obviously haven't sandblasted everything clean like they do in Paris, but maybe that's a good thing.

Thanks for the comments. And indeed I do not insert pictures in posts. As someone who often uses a hand held to post on forums, pics can be annoying. This way it gives people choice.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by pussnboots View Post
    Actually, a forum post with 30 large pictures can crash many a computer. My four-year-old PowerBook is grateful he chose this.

Arras looks lovely – that castle! They obviously haven't sandblasted everything clean like they do in Paris, but maybe that's a good thing.
    then we all would have crashed by now since this place is full of trip reports.and tons of pictures.

Dave I went and looked, them pictures are wonderful!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Dave I went and looked, them pictures are wonderful!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Thanks, more are coming...

• World Traveler

Excellent pictures and report! Did you take any of the train?

Quote Originally Posted by mikeland View Post
    Excellent pictures and report! Did you take any of the train?
    Not this time, but I have old photos if you would like to see.

• is satisfactual.

then we all would have crashed by now since this place is full of trip reports.and tons of pictures.
    Hence the steam my computer is forever emitting.

Nice Trip Report Davewasbaloo !!!!! It was a pleasure to see you for 5 sec with you Mickey Ears HaT .

Did you see us at the resort, or are you referring to the pics?

Quote Originally Posted by davewasbaloo View Post
    Did you see us at the resort, or are you referring to the pics?
    i saw you at the resort !

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast