• Pirate - G'har!

WDS - The place for overlays?

I've said before how I dislike seasonal, as well as most other kinds, of overlays at DLP, it ruins Main St. or any other land that takes part's atmosphere and theming and can not give a visitor the full glory of the place if it is their first visit. Some of it's ok like the 15th, tasteful and not intrusive, but those banners all down Main St. aren't all that nice. Anyway, this got me thinking, isn't WDS really the place for overlays (not counting the 15th and such). I mean, it's basically a blank canvas in alot of places, at least at the moment, and Front Lot will always be perfect for like a mini-land for the overlay. It's not like WDS has deep theming to ruin, so isn't it the perfect place for such overlays?

Re: WDS - The place for overlays?

Well if they extend Toon Studio to a big real toon land, they could easily theme that to halloween and christmas!

I really like the christmas overlay in front of studio 1 btw! Also , the Hollywood Boulevard could also easily be themed to Christmas!

• Pirate - G'har!

Precisely, the Hollywood Blvd. shop windows could have Christmas displays, lights on the trees etc. Since WDS' environments are relatively 'realistic' they can be decorated that way, as opposed to the fantastic environments of DLP.

• Banned User

Guernsey, Channel Islands, United Kingdom

I don't have a problem with the park doing tempory overlays to areas like Main Street for events such as Halloween and Christmas. Chances are that guest are probarely only visiting during that time of year anyway to see all the decorations. Its a big draw and should be treated as one. I agree that the Studios should also do its own overlay to events, but when it comes to that park, it seems Management treat it as a second thought!

• Membre

I usually hate overlays, especially Halloween and kid's carnival.
    Hollywood Blvd could have nice christmas decorations though.

• is satisfactual.

Quote Originally Posted by Olivier View Post
    Agreed.

About Hollywood Boulevard I wonder if they'll go for 1950s-style decorations like at Disney's Hollywood Studios? That would be lovely. Tinsel, bubble lights... But probably not.

• Pirate - G'har!

We can dream. If the whole of Production Courtyard becomes Hollywood Blvd. which I actually think they're planning eventually, then it could be a Christmas wonderland! Aww. If they did do that, it'd be three similarly-sized lands with similar amounts of attractions and there would be some balance and then I guess the extension would begin. Anyway, back to topic, Halloween would surely be better at WDS right? It's a more adulty park anyway so they can do something a bit scary at nights there and not ruin Frontierland (I can stand Main St at a push).

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by Olivier View Post
    Could it be because the overlays at DLP are so bad? Because they do not go all out with better decor like they do at TDL... which thrives with overlays throughout the year to keep the locals coming back for more. Kid's carnival I can do without.. it is one of the worst events ever help at any Disney parks...not to mention DLP's halloween dcor is truly the worst of any Disne park out there... and considering WDW's MK halloween decor is awful... that is not a very good compliment.

Well that's not all true! The Christmas overlay at the castle is one of the best of all disney parks! The ice castle is beautiful! (just like the ceremony).

• Pirate - G'har!

Well I didn't expect you to come in with how much better TDR's seasonal overlays are, that's not like you at all! I like the Christmas overlay (as long as it doesn't stay all year round like in the castle shop and in Studio 1) and I don't hate the pumpkinmen, just on Main St not in Frontierland (or better not at all). If you read you'll know my main reason has little to do with the actual overlay anyway.

• Senior Minion

Apart from Christmas, I think that all overlays should be kept to WDS. Not only would it help boost attendance, but it would also help the pathetic overall 'theme' that the park has been stuck with since day one.
    Univeral do a great Halloween due to their company of 'Monsters' and I am sure that DLP could cook up something using NBC, the Disney Villains and even the likes of Narnia and POTC characters. The up-coming Halloween party at WDS is a good start and the ToT opening ceremony showed how well it could work.
    WDW - 1987 & 1991
    DLP - 1996, 2004, 2006 & 2007
    DLR - October 2011

• Banned User

I don't really care where they do them, as long as they are done well.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by Japper View Post
    Well that's not all true! The Christmas overlay at the castle is one of the best of all disney parks! The ice castle is beautiful! (just like the ceremony).
    I was talking about Halloween and Kid's Carnival. I DO love the Xmas decor at DLP as I find it very classy.

• MC Blogger

Blog Entries

^^ Agreed. Would love to see DLP and all of Paris at Christmas once.
    Mark

Disney parks and art, movies, music, more... Over 1, 000 Posts!
    www.InsightsandSounds.blogspot.com

• Gt Big Beautiful Tomorrow

Again, I like the overlays when done well. The christmas overlay and the 1st two years of Halloween were brilliant.

I hated kids carnival, toon circus and the pink witches.
    Let's put the Walt back in Disney!