Re: Images from Disneyland Paris

Lovely piccies. Thanx for sharing!!!
    Jon A. Leslie
    nojarama
    http://www.nojarama.com

• RnRCj

Quote Originally Posted by Malin View Post
    September is usually a very quiet time at the Resort and is actually my favourite time of the year to visit. Attractions are always walk ons and the weather is usually very mild.
    The thing is, I went last year in September school time, and it was quite a bit busier than that (although still generally quiet). Crush's Coaster was around 55 minutes. I find it strange at how much quieter it is this year!

• The line's too long...

Quote Originally Posted by pussnboots View Post
    Thanks for that excellent picture of the "generic New York-style twin skyscrapers" that are in no way the World Trade Center. There was a thread on this, but without a good illustration.
    I was born and raised in New York, and even worked for a time downtown in the north tower, and from the photograph's angle those two skyscrapers in the back are definitely the Twin Towers. Disney should remove them from the attraction, it's jarring and counter to the message of the ride.

• Senior Minion

Quote Originally Posted by vfire View Post
    I was born and raised in New York, and even worked for a time downtown in the north tower, and from the photograph's angle those two skyscrapers in the back are definitely the Twin Towers. Disney should remove them from the attraction, it's jarring and counter to the message of the ride.
    Even if they are the Twin Towers (I'm not saying they are or not), how does their presence jar with the message of the ride?
    The message of the ride is world harmony. A little twee but definately a noble idea.
    Removing these towers would not only acknowledge an unfortunate reality (and reality is something that iasw seems to avoid on just about all levels) but would also actually send a message that fantasy can be blighted by harsh realities - perhaps to us jaded adults but not to the innocent of heart. The conflicts that resulted in 9/11 have no place in a Disney theme park and removing these towers would be too close to the truth to be welcomed.
    WDW - 1987 & 1991
    DLP - 1996, 2004, 2006 & 2007
    DLR - October 2011

• is satisfactual.

Yes, obviously they are, but any similarities are officially denied to be anything more than coincidental. That's corporate thinking for you — why change the product if you can change the description of it.

• The line's too long...

For me, being a native New Yorker, in NYC on 9/11 and knowing people who died or were tremendously affected by the attack, the image of the Twin Towers in iasw is jarring to say the least. I understand for others that may not be the case due to varying proximity from the event, and that's fair enough.
    But this icon of NYC is no longer there so it's a false presentation. Legoland in California has a New York City section in its Miniland, and the Twin Towers were removed from the exhibit after 9/11. And that's a lot of Legos as opposed to a 2-D piece of colored cardboard. Even if you weren't personally affected by 9/11, I think one can see it's simply unnecessary and insensitive to jar visitors potentially with such a negative connotation when they're on vacation during a tranquil ride dedicated to a shared dream of world peace.

• Oo-de-lally

Great Pics. I hope I get to go here one day
    Oo-de-lally, Oo-de-lally
    Golly, what a day

• is satisfactual.

For me, being a native New Yorker, in NYC on 9/11 and knowing people who died or were tremendously affected by the attack, the image of the Twin Towers in iasw is jarring to say the least. I understand for others that may not be the case due to varying proximity from the event, and that's fair enough.
    But this icon of NYC is no longer there so it's a false presentation. Legoland in California has a New York City section in its Miniland, and the Twin Towers were removed from the exhibit after 9/11. And that's a lot of Legos as opposed to a 2-D piece of colored cardboard. Even if you weren't personally affected by 9/11, I think one can see it's simply unnecessary and insensitive to jar visitors potentially with such a negative connotation when they're on vacation during a tranquil ride dedicated to a shared dream of world peace.
    I agree with you, personally, but there is something to be said for the argument that the world cannot suddenly pretend they were never there. It would be another thing altogether if they'd stuck two World Trade Center-style skyscrapers in the recent Hong Kong version of "it's a small world," but Paris's was built long before terrorism became a buzzword.

However, we're dealing with the world's treacliest, most sterilized environment here. Normal logic doesn't really apply. And in "it's a small world" logic, 9/11 never happened and the Twin Towers never existed. So yes, I agree with you.

• Waiting for my E-Ticket

Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota

Quote Originally Posted by snorkeld View Post

Yeah Twin Towers
    That's the Empire State Building on the right. Not sure what the one on the left is.

Very nice photos though. Lovely blue sky!

• The line's too long...

Next to the Empire State Building is the Flat Iron Building, and it's one of my favorites in Manhattan:

New York Architecture Images- THE FLATIRON BUILDING

• Senior Minion

Quote Originally Posted by aimster View Post
    That's the Empire State Building on the right. Not sure what the one on the left is.

Very nice photos though. Lovely blue sky!
    And the Twin Towers are situated behind them.
    WDW - 1987 & 1991
    DLP - 1996, 2004, 2006 & 2007
    DLR - October 2011

Nice shots. at least you had some good weather

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12