Thread: English?

English?

HI, how much in Disneyland Paris is in French? Im going to be there in Jan and im curious how much is french and how much is English.

thanks

• MiceChat Administrator
    • Man of mystery and

Blog Entries

Re: English?

Disneyland Paris was built for a general European audience. Almost everywhere you go, you will find information in English, French, Spanish, and German. I was really impressed with how comfortable I felt in the parks even though I don't speak French.

Some shows have different times for different languages, so scheduling is a bit more complex than in the US parks, but you'll figure it out.
    Find us on Facebook:

How do you support MiceChat? Join MiceChat GOLD!,

• Senior Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Dustysage View Post

Some shows have different times for different languages, so scheduling is a bit more complex than in the US parks, but you'll figure it out.
    As far as I know this is only the case for Stitch Live and Legend of the Lion King. Shows like Animagique, Cinemagique and the stunt show are presented in either both languages or in Franglish. HISTA and the Art of Animation operate with headphones for non-French speakers.
    WDW - 1987 & 1991
    DLP - 1996, 2004, 2006 & 2007
    DLR - October 2011

Quote Originally Posted by nathan detroit View Post
    HISTA and the Art of Animation operate with headphones for non-French speakers.
    Not sure about other languages, but HISTA sometimes runs with it's original English soundtrack. Not sure when - it's not something that is published. We've done HISTA on each visit and with the exception of last year the showings have been in French with English available via the headsets.

When we did it last November we went into the pre-show area and expecting the showing to be in French we sat at the back of the room (tired legs, sore feet,boring pre-show) near the doors leading to the headset chairs. The CM then announced that the showing would be in English.

Iain

• is satisfactual.

Oh, forget Honey, I Shrunk the Audience. Awful show.

The way I see it, there are two categories of language at Disneyland Paris — essential and decorative. The first category includes signs and audio they want you to read/hear and understand and will nearly always be presented in French and English, and sometimes in a whole landslide of languages. This is thankfully the case in much of Europe, and Disneyland Paris is no exception. The second includes throwaway themeing gags, narrative where nonessential (think dark rides), that sort of thing — and most of it is either French, English or Frenglish, French having a slight lead on the other two.

So you'll have no problem finding your way, but you might miss out on a few plot lines and gags here and there.

•   
    • Sponge & A Rusty Spanner

We had no difficulty communicating or navigating our way around the park. Most of everything is in English, and what little you miss if you don't speak French does not diminish the experience much, if at all. Like anywhere else in Paris, folks there appreciate it if you have and use a few phrases in French, but you can get away with just a few: bon jour, merci, je voudrais, s'il vous plait, pardonne-moi, etc. (And, of course, if she's hot, "voulez-vous coucher avec moi ce soir?")
    Fight On! Beat the Irish!

Tom Chaney Memorial Debate Lounge Quote of the Week:

[None]
    The brick walls are there to stop the people who don't want it badly enough - Randy Pausch

• Banned User

You will have NO problems navigating ANY of the foreign resorts if you are only English-speaking guest. I would say that TDR in Tokyo is the most challenging in that regards and still, I go there and manage quite well with very little japanese knowledge... Same for Hong Kong DL and DL Paris. Of course, it would never hurt to know a few phrazes in french and the local CMs do appreciate the effort you make.. but it's not a requirement for having fun and enjoying your stay to the fullest.

• Senior Minion

Avez vous un cuppa?
    WDW - 1987 & 1991
    DLP - 1996, 2004, 2006 & 2007
    DLR - October 2011

that's right lol most of the CMs speaks at least second european language .

i can speak french , english ( as i could ) , and few words of spanish . That helps a lots to inform people .

In the parc it self everone speaks English. Some Castmembers dont even speak french to tell the truth. Indeed some attractions like Stitch Live are in french. But hey no problem you will have a great time i assure you

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by goofyfan View Post
    Indeed some attractions like Stitch Live are in french.
    Stitch Live! is also presented in English several times a day. Just look at the schedule for english show times.. Same applies to the Lion King show in Discoveryland, which plays in english and french versions. I wish TDR did this for some of their shows... but let's face it... in Tokyo, less than 1% of guests speak english... so they do not need to bother.
    BTW... all shows at HKDL are bilingual. You hear english and cantonese during the show. And a great time is had by all.