Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

• Gt Big Beautiful Tomorrow

Re: The Baloos weekend for the opening of Halloween

Granted I could link the photos, but given I am working 70 hour weeks on top of my 4 hour commutes, it's a miracle they even made it on the web (Facebook contains the quips as does Photobucket).

as for dress up, we have been doing it to them since they were babies because I think it is cute (I also like to wear costumes as often as possible). as a result, now they like to wear costumes and ask to do so (and often do at home too). Dress up and role play is a key part of child devvelopment, and engaging the imagination. It is key for systemic development and fun too.

I HATE the way I am not allowed to wear costumes, I would dress up with them if I could get away with it.

But thank you for the comments. Life at work has not been good (hopefully leaving soon). I had to take this trip or lose my mind. Sorry if the trip reports were not up to usual standards, but I was experimenting with new channels other than Kodak which has been too slow.
    Let's put the Walt back in Disney!

Quote Originally Posted by TDLFAN View Post
    Well Baloo.. I finally was able to see your photos and such and wanted to thank you for taking the time to post them. But where is the informative opinions to go with the pictures? I mean, you mentioned you had a fantastic weekend.. but why? What made it fantastic?
    what made it fantastic is that the Disneyland Hotel was up to traditional disney standards. The Halloween celebrations were high calibre, especially the stilt people, Jack and Sally, the pre parade with the This is Halloween/Grim Grinning Ghosts soundtrack, loads of decorations and characters everywhere, great live music thanks to the Bat Boys, and lot's of great Halloween merchandise, as well as placemats and cups in the restaurants. Also impressed that Jessica spilled Sarah's Kir at the Silver Spur, and the waiter replaced it without question or charge (not very European at all - great). It was great for all those reasons (each photo in Photobucket does have some commentary though - did you see it?)

some disappointments - the toilets were filthy, the maze needs a good paint, and the Silver Spur was not decorated this year! also, Phantom Manor at it's peak time had a lot of broken effects including the Phantom in the Mirror!!!!

• Banned User

Thanks for the comments above as I always value your perspective on the parks since I think you pretty much agree with me on how Disney parks should be operated.

Quote Originally Posted by davewasbaloo View Post
    Dress up and role play is a key part of child devvelopment, and engaging the imagination. It is key for systemic development and fun too.
    Really? How so? Systemic development? I am affraid I need some more concrete proof of that. Like, where will your child's development end up at if he/she chooses to dress up as a disney princess... for example.

I HATE the way I am not allowed to wear costumes, I would dress up with them if I could get away with it.
    You would be allowed at the MK's MNSSHP or at TDL on selected days during Halloween.

Really? How so? Systemic development? I am affraid I need some more concrete proof of that. Like, where will your child's development end up at if he/she chooses to dress up as a disney princess... for example.

You would be allowed at the MK's MNSSHP or at TDL on selected days during Halloween.
    It is generally agreed that we need play for our psychological well being and indeed play aids child development. Dress up is a part of imaginary play, and through dress up we can role play and imagine ourselves as different characters, it aids empathy development as well as "out of the box" thinking. Besides, it's fun. We also often buy matching outfits and dress up alike (what can I say, I loved the Sound of Music as a kid!!!!).

As for dress up, you can at DLP during the Halloween parties too - when Sarah and I went a few years ago, I dressed up as the phantom with a cloak, ruffed shirt, makeup and Top Hat (all be it very much too fat for a skelleton :-) and we used net curtains to make a bridal gown for Sarah to Dress as Melanie Ravenswood. The cast even let us waltz in front of the staircase loading area of Phantom Manor!
    Last edited by davewasbaloo; 10-18-2008 at 02:39 AM.

• Senior Minion

Why do you need 'concrete proof'? I would actually emphasise the 'fun' factor in dressing up in a Disney park. Also, as someone who knows about this sort of thing (believe me) dressing as a Disney character in a Disney park is an excellent way to get attention which leads to a boost in confidence - something that many children need (it doesn't hurt that it assists in jumping a queue or two too!).
    It certainly couldn't hurt them. That is unless you insisted that your 13 year old boy dressed a princess or something like that.

Totally off topic now - Dave, are you seeing the Ice Show this year? We saw it last weekend and thought it one of the best in a long time.
    WDW - 1987 & 1991
    DLP - 1996, 2004, 2006 & 2007
    DLR - October 2011

Hey ND, I can't remember how old your kids are? I am not sure Jessie would sit through a full long show yet (she does ok with Moteurs Action, but I think that's here limit).

I think next year they will be ready.

• Banned User

Thank you Baloo for the insights of being parent, which is something I may never be.
    Quote Originally Posted by nathan detroit View Post
    Why do you need 'concrete proof'?
    Not that I need to offer you an explanation of my request, but I am just curious to get the point of view of a parent in this matter since it is behavior that has become more and more acceptable at the Disney parks. I appreciate Baloo's opinion on this and felt confident asking him since, unlike you, he is a dear friend who I have met in person and enjoyed the time we share together at DLP, and would hope to do the same some time soon.

• Senior Minion

Quote Originally Posted by davewasbaloo View Post
    Hey ND, I can't remember how old your kids are? I am not sure Jessie would sit through a full long show yet (she does ok with Moteurs Action, but I think that's here limit).

I think next year they will be ready.
    NDJnr is 6. Nemo was his 6th annual visit to the Disney Ice Show. He has happily sat through all of them (although my niece got scared in the Princess one a couple of years ago).
    WDW - 1987 & 1991
    DLR - October 2011

• Senior Minion

Thank you Baloo for the insights of being parent, which is something I may never be.
    Not that I need to offer you an explanation of my request, but I am just curious to get the point of view of a parent in this matter since it is behavior that has become more and more acceptable at the Disney parks. I appreciate Baloo's opinion on this and felt confident asking him since, unlike you, he is a dear friend who I have met in person and enjoyed the time we share together at DLP, and would hope to do the same some time soon.
    This may be all true. And good luck to you. But if the only opinion you required was that of Dave's, then I suggest PMing him instead of posting your comments on a public forum.

Becoming insulted by such an innocuous comments is just bizarre even considering your self confessed loathing of me and the vitriol that you have PMed me in the past.
    WDW - 1987 & 1991
    DLR - October 2011

Come on guys, don't make me sort you out.

I think TDLFAN's (who yes is a friend, and someone I very much enjoy the company of) question is an interesting one. One I have never really thought of, similar in the way I have never really thought of why I have the compulsion to wear Mouse ears, or why I used to wear pin trading lanyards and now I just simply purchase the pins I like. I can probably answer these questions, but I have never really thought about it.

On one level it all appears to be really silly behaviour (my daughter wearing a tiara or Mikey having Wings on are not pratical, but it is fun and we all enjoy it). But heck, I remember going around DAK in slacks and a dress shirt, while DW wore a dress, on my Honeymoon in 2000 because we had dinner reservations at the California Grill and did not want to go to the hotel first to change. lol

Quote Originally Posted by nathan detroit View Post
    NDJnr is 6. Nemo was his 6th annual visit to the Disney Ice Show. He has happily sat through all of them (although my niece got scared in the Princess one a couple of years ago).
    Hmmm, interesting. I have never been a huge fan of the ice shows (any of them) but how would you rate these recent ones to the quality of the park shows.

• Senior Minion

Apologies Dave for inadvertently causing your thread to degenerate into a petty squabble.

I only asked about the Ice Show as I seemed to remember you saying you were going last year. Upon reflection, it was not you!
    However, as someone 'in the know' when it comes to theatrical presentations and as a regular visitor to theatres both in my region and in London's West End, I can say that the Disney Ice Shows are generally very good. They certainly do compare to the park shows particularly when you consider that the producers employ world-class skaters.
    Finding Nemo on Ice was particularly well done. Using an enormous projection screen as a backdrop and using background footage from the film (as well as a giant diver and dentist), the production values were excellent. The fishtank was well represented, we had a flying Nigel the pelican and the jellyfish scene was beautiful. And the baby turtles were soooo cute!
    Previous productions have included Aladdin songs featuring a full-size elephant (Nemo had a full size Bruce and a giant whale) and dozens of identical skating Genies, It's a Small World represented on ice (with fully illuminated moving scenery including a windmill), and Syndrome battling the Incredibles in a full scale Omnidroid.
    The production values are never short of stunning although the content is obviously reliant on the theme (the Toy Story 2 one was terrible). And its more than just rubberheads - one of the highlights of this year was how great an actress Dory was (miming to the soundtrack of course but facial and body expressions were spot-on for the character) Next year it looks to be the Princess one again - first act mini-stories, second act the entire story of Cinderella.
    Anyway, I cannot praise them enough - it's the closest thing you will get to a Disney park experience in this country. Follow this link for video footage of Nemo...

http://www.disney.co.uk/disneyonice/...emo/index.html
    Last edited by nathan detroit; 10-19-2008 at 10:15 AM.
    WDW - 1987 & 1991
    DLR - October 2011

• Banned User

Guernsey, Channel Islands, United Kingdom

From the short video it seems like Finding Nemo on ice could actually be above the standard you will find at the park. But to say the Nemo on ice show is a seperate ticketed event, compare to all shows at DLRP which are included in the price of admission, it should be too!

• Senior Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Malin View Post
    From the short video it seems like Finding Nemo on ice could actually be above the standard you will find at the park. But to say the Nemo on ice show is a seperate ticketed event, compare to all shows at DLRP which are included in the price of admission, it should be too!
    Well there is that to take into consideration. And the tickets ain't cheap - 40 for rinkside (I wouldn't sit anywhere else!). And everyone will be pleased to hear that the merchandise is as overpriced as it is in the parks too!
    However, as I said - I consider the Ice Shows to be almost 'Disneyland On Tour' and use them as a fix for my obsession between visits to the parks.
    WDW - 1987 & 1991
    DLR - October 2011

There is a stamp in Canada that was issued for Christmas, but reminds me more of Halloween each time I see it. Halloween is one of my favorite holidays I love trick-or-treaters, the costumes and even all the cheesy decorations. But the actual event has never been a favorite for the animals in my family; too much doorbell ringing, too many strangers on the porch, and too much noise outside late at night.
    ---------------------
    David Jones

Promoter

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12