Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Is it me or is DLP quite affordable?

Just for the heck of it I looked up some rates for mid November to stay at DLP. I got a rate of roughly 1,000 converted to USD for 5 nights and a 6 days at the parks at the Sequoia Lodge. Is it just me or does that seem very reasonable? Am I missing something?

Re: Is it me or is DLP quite affordable?

it depends . What do you mean by affordable ? Yeah compared to the Grand Floridian in WDW the Disneyland Hotel is quite affordable.

• Gt Big Beautiful Tomorrow

Certainly for Europeans, it is cheaper than going to WDW or DL and staying in similar accommodations. that said, the hotels are not as grand unless you stay at the DLH.
    Let's put the Walt back in Disney!

• Banned User

A day at DLP is cheaper than a day at WDW's Mk, and you get a more lavish park with more entertainment. So yes... DLP is affordable... except for us americans.

• Hola Yola!

Also depends how you look at it I guess. I'm staying at the Wilderness Lodge with 2 friends for the same length of time during the peak Christmas period (so my feelings about the upcoming trip are a mixture of fear and dread) and it is costing us each about $400 more than what you're quoting each. The difference is for that you do get 4 theme parks instead of 2 (one of which is WDS) and the dilemma is more how to fit everything in over just 6 days rather than how to keep yourself occupied for that long within the resort (which I think might be tough at DLRP).

I know this will clearly define me as an philistine in some people's eyes, but I think even with a slightly higher cost you get more for your money at WDW.

• Pirate - G'har!

Well on a basic level that's simply because it's bigger and there's more to do. Florida doesn't have the cultural benefits of the city of Paris being so close either!

WDW is an all you can eat buffet, while DLP is a fine dinner. I know which I prefer ;-)

And I think WDSP is a more enjoyable park than DHS.

• Pirate - G'har!

Wo-hoah, scandallous! Maybe America and France are like an all-you-can-eat buffet and fine dining...that was a JOKE! WDSP could be great, even with tiny filler rides. If they're themed they may be excusable.

• Hola Yola!

I figured that would pretty much be the response!

My point, I guess, would be why stay at DLRP instead of getting a cheaper hotel in Paris and taking the excellent public transport out there for a couple of days? Perhaps for Europeans things are a little different, but if you're coming from overseas DLRP is a fun 1 or 2 days, but Paris is the real attraction. In Orlando they've built their own mega-complex of theme parks, entertainment and recreation to keep you busy for an entire vacation. When you take into account what both offer (and, say what you will, my experience isn't that DLRP has fresher attractions or better upkeep than WDW either), it's not that expensive compared to the US resorts but then you're not been offered quite as much for the price.

Quote Originally Posted by Sir_Cliff View Post
    I figured that would pretty much be the response!

My point, I guess, would be why stay at DLRP instead of getting a cheaper hotel in Paris and taking the excellent public transport out there for a couple of days? Perhaps for Europeans things are a little different, .
    Well if you live here in Europe, Paris is not the appeal for most visitors, they go for DLP. I know some people who have been to DLP dozens of times, but have been to Paris once or twice. Different strokes really.

I don't like the weather, the lesser MK park, or the rednecks of WDW, so given we have a cheaper and as a Disneylander (growing up in California) better MK experience with more besides, I am very happy at DLP.

• Hitchhiker

Euro has lost 20% of its value in two months.. that can make the difference.
    ----
    Cheers,
    Zarniwoop

• Hola Yola!

Quote Originally Posted by davewasbaloo View Post
    Well if you live here in Europe, Paris is not the appeal for most visitors, they go for DLP. I know some people who have been to DLP dozens of times, but have been to Paris once or twice. Different strokes really.
    I figured this would be the case for Europeans who might take a day out of a DLP vacation for the city rather than vice versa, but for an American (or Australian in my case) it seems to make more sense to do it the other way around as it would be cheaper and you're likely to find more to occupy your time in Paris. That is unless Disney is pretty much the only reason you travel.

• Pirate - G'har!

I guess it's a question of quality and quantity then.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by fizzog View Post
    I guess it's a question of quality and quantity then.
    I have brought this up several times... WDW is al about quantity and not quality... whereas DLRP can be more about quality than quantity.

• Senior Minion

Quote Originally Posted by davewasbaloo View Post
    What you talkin' 'bout Willis?! (sorry couldn't resist!)

In my opinion, DLP is more expensive on a pro rata basis. Of course a lot of it depends on horses for courses. DLP vs WDW may be like comparing apples and pears but both offer something unique and just because WDW caters to the masses doesn't make it a bad place.
    To me (in England), WDW is something to do every 3 - 5 years. DLP is something I can do every year (or more than once a year) due to its proximity alone. I would not go to WDW for a long weekend.
    Geography has a lot to do with it and while Americans can gaze green-eyed at our European shores, I quite fancy jumping accross the Atlantic the in the opposite direction.
    WDW - 1987 & 1991
    DLP - 1996, 2004, 2006 & 2007
    DLR - October 2011

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast