• Hitchhiker

Zorro to replace Buffalo Bill?

This rumour comes from a DLP castmember @ dlp.info forum. Here's a quote:
    some news from outside the parks concerning Disney Village expansion:

- The construction for WORLD OF DISNEY STORE should start around January 2009. This will be a 2 level shop with the size twice the existing Disney Store.

- Disney Store will be taken over by an external enterprise. Negotiations are with Virgin for the moment.

- The Buffalo Trading Shop will close December, making way for a Starbucks. Opening before spring 2009.

- Wild West Show will close down to be replaced by Zorro, but confirmation on exact date is still missing. Maybe with Buffalo Trading, who knows?
    ----
    Cheers,
    Zarniwoop

• Banned User

Guernsey, Channel Islands, United Kingdom

Re: Zorro to replace Buffalo Bill?

The construction for WORLD OF DISNEY STORE should start around January 2009. This will be a 2 level shop with the size twice the existing Disney Store.
    I would love to see this happen, the existing store is too small, and deco is very outdated. Especially when compared up against the World of Disney Stores in both US Resorts.

Disney Store will be taken over by an external enterprise. Negotiations are with Virgin for the moment.
    Hmm are Virgin still operating in France because in the UK, the company has cease operations and closed down all of its stores and I have heard the same is happening stateside. Mind you the owner of the stores is a complicated one.

- Wild West Show will close down to be replaced by Zorro, but confirmation on exact date is still missing. Maybe with Buffalo Trading, who knows?
    After more than 15 years of running regular shows, who here thinks this show should go, and is it still loved as much today as it was when the show officially opened. I'm just glad if rumours are true that I will atleast get to see the show atleast the once.

• Senior Minion

Personally (and I think I am in the minority here) I would not weep to see the end of BBWWS. I enjoyed it the first time but took no real pleasure from repeat visits. 15 years is a long time for a show to run although that's nothing compared to something like The Golden Horseshoe Revue
    WDW - 1987 & 1991
    DLP - 1996, 2004, 2006 & 2007
    DLR - October 2011

• is satisfactual.

- The construction for WORLD OF DISNEY STORE should start around January 2009. This will be a 2 level shop with the size twice the existing Disney Store.
    Well, yay. It's about time — the current Disney Store is run-down and outdated, but because it has to entertain six million people each night after the parks close at 6pm (feels like), they can't really close it for a makeover. This will/would be a very, very welcome addition to the Village for a myriad of reasons.

- Disney Store will be taken over by an external enterprise. Negotiations are with Virgin for the moment.
    What Malin said. Seems unlikely.

- The Buffalo Trading Shop will close December, making way for a Starbucks. Opening before spring 2009.
    Yup, this appears to be happening indeed... I still don't quite understand why they chose that particular space, but it will be nice to finally get some non-instant coffee at Disneyland Paris. Although Starbucks in Europe is ex-pen-sive!

I suppose it was only a matter of time, but there is the very real chance that this new Zorro show will be awful. (Who's a pessimist? Where?) Let's just hope for the best.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by Malin View Post
    I would love to see this happen, the existing store is too small, and deco is very outdated. Especially when compared up against the World of Disney Stores in both US Resorts.
    While I agree the Disney Store at DV needs upgrading, I personally would hope for them to not build a WOD as tacky in decor as the ones at the USA. But of course, that will be the easy way to go.

• is not behind the current

I've seen a post on another forum (not sure if I'm allowed to post the name) and they have confirmed that the contract for Starbucks has been signed and contruction begins in January 2009.

I'd be happy about all the other proposed changes other than the removal of Buffallo Bills, I love that show and need it to be around long enough to show my 18 month old when he is old enough to enjoy it

• Gt Big Beautiful Tomorrow

Ooops, I have only just seen this. The Zorro rumour is very old, it was first floating around before WDSP opened. I don't know how real it is. A part of me would love to see this, another part, does not want to lose BBWWS.
    Let's put the Walt back in Disney!

• Bangarang!

Quote Originally Posted by TDLFAN View Post
    While I agree the Disney Store at DV needs upgrading, I personally would hope for them to not build a WOD as tacky in decor as the ones at the USA. But of course, that will be the easy way to go.
    I agree, the current one is verging on an embarrassment. And although I don't see the US WoD's as being overly tacky (although I see your point), I would still hope that they went for something that reflected the uniqueness of the DLP of old.

Guess it all depends on how much they're willing to splash out on.

"We're not trying to entertain the critics ... I'll take my chances with the public." -
    Walt Disney

• Senior Minion

Replacing BBWWS with Zorro at this stage seems a little odd. With Disney planning The Lone Ranger to be released in 2010 (and starring Johnny Depp of course!), it would seem prudent to wait until then and produce a show based around that.
    I know Zorro is a long-standing character from the Disneyland TV show but most people today equate it to a quite good movie and a stinkin' sequel.
    Of course, this is assuming that The Lone Ranger will be good - something I am skeptical of.
    WDW - 1987 & 1991
    DLR - October 2011

• is satisfactual.

Quote Originally Posted by Hathaway Browne View Post
    I agree, the current one is verging on an embarrassment. And although I don't see the US WoD's as being overly tacky (although I see your point), I would still hope that they went for something that reflected the uniqueness of the DLP of old.

Guess it all depends on how much they're willing to splash out on.
    I quite like the World of Disney stores, personally, particularly the one in New York (which will soon move to a more touristy place). They have a whimsical, slightly artsy and upmarket touch that makes sense outside the theme park environment and makes you feel like you're not completely ignored as an adult.

The Disney Stores don't know what they want to be. The oldest incarnations, with their multicolored '80s/early '90s motifs, are hopelessly outdated (this includes the Disney Village location), despite their lovely moving displays, the redone US ones are dull as a brick and the new UK ones are trying far too hard to be jiggy with it. Although I must admit that the one in Rome looks quite nice!

So I'm really looking forward to this if the rumor is true.

• Senior Minion

Quote Originally Posted by pussnboots View Post
    I quite like the World of Disney stores, personally, particularly the one in New York (which will soon move to a more touristy place). They have a whimsical, slightly artsy and upmarket touch that makes sense outside the theme park environment and makes you feel like you're not completely ignored as an adult.

The Disney Stores don't know what they want to be. The oldest incarnations, with their multicolored '80s/early '90s motifs, are hopelessly outdated (this includes the Disney Village location), despite their lovely moving displays, the redone US ones are dull as a brick and the new UK ones are trying far too hard to be jiggy with it. Although I must admit that the one in Rome looks quite nice!

So I'm really looking forward to this if the rumor is true.

My local Disney Store got a refit about a month ago. Now it's awful! Sparkly floors, shiny fixtures, ADD TV screens, flashy lights and loud music. It's like a nightclub for under 7s. The only good point is a constantly moving row of suspended toy-filled plastic balls that circum-navigates the entire store but sadly that was not in operation on our last visit. And the large Goofy statue has already had an ear snapped off it.
    NDJnr and I walked out in disgust last week after discovering that everything stocked was either HSM, Camp Rock, Hannah Montana or Pooh ('all rubbish' in NDJnr's frank analysis). There was a smattering of Cars and Wall-E but not nearly enough to hold our attention.
    I was embarrassed by this store which has now only seems to cater for babies and pre-pubescent girls. Where are the collectables? The prints? The cels? Oh Disney Store, where art thou?!
    WDW - 1987 & 1991
    DLR - October 2011

• is satisfactual.

Quote Originally Posted by nathan detroit View Post
    My local Disney Store got a refit about a month ago. Now it's awful! Sparkly floors, shiny fixtures, ADD TV screens, flashy lights and loud music. It's like a nightclub for under 7s. The only good point is a constantly moving row of suspended toy-filled plastic balls that circum-navigates the entire store but sadly that was not in operation on our last visit. And the large Goofy statue has already had an ear snapped off it.
    NDJnr and I walked out in disgust last week after discovering that everything stocked was either HSM, Camp Rock, Hannah Montana or Pooh ('all rubbish' in NDJnr's frank analysis). There was a smattering of Cars and Wall-E but not nearly enough to hold our attention.
    I was embarrassed by this store which has now only seems to cater for babies and pre-pubescent girls. Where are the collectables? The prints? The cels? Oh Disney Store, where art thou?!
    I don't even pay attention to the merchandise anymore. I've given up. The last line that came close to wetting my appetite was the Mickey-eared barware, but then I realized that I could never actually use any of that, since I am a recovering alcoholic. No seriously, the reason why one cannot ever use Disney martini glasses should be quite clear even on MiceChat. Now they don't even have that anymore. I couldn't even find something for my cousins, who are actually tweens. And from your son's reaction it looks like the younger crowd isn't too excited either.

The merchandise situation at Disneyland Paris is slightly better, but not by a landslide. So a snazzy store like the World of Disney might take our minds off that. Plus, we'll have Frappuccinos.

(God that was an awfully materialistic post even for me...)

• Bangarang!

Quote Originally Posted by nathan detroit View Post
    My local is still in the pink and turquoise 1990's guise. They've just extended the shopping centre its in, so I was hoping that they might either do it up, or move into the new part, but alas neither has happened, but after hearing that I don't think I want it to change.

As for "Fan Merchandise", well its seems that they are under the impression that there is no market for such items in the UK. Well at least not in the "common and garden" stores. Which is a real pity. We all know that there are fans in the country who will buy it.

"We're not trying to entertain the critics ... I'll take my chances with the public." -
    Walt Disney

• Senior Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Hathaway Browne View Post
    My local is still in the pink and turquoise 1990's guise. They've just extended the shopping centre its in, so I was hoping that they might either do it up, or move into the new part, but alas neither has happened, but after hearing that I don't think I want it to change.

As for "Fan Merchandise", well its seems that they are under the impression that there is no market for such items in the UK. Well at least not in the "common and garden" stores. Which is a real pity. We all know that there are fans in the country who will buy it.
    Pray your Disney Store stays as it is. The new ones just induce migraine.

And there is indeed a place for fan merchandise although it may be a niche market (and perhaps the reason why The Warner Bros. Studio Stores totally changed to 'kids' merchandise before disappearing completely - a passing I still mourn). Still, I suppose that is one of the reasons why I love visiting DLP so much.
    WDW - 1987 & 1991
    DLR - October 2011

• Bangarang!

^But even DLP doesn't offer a huge amount of Disneyana. The only shop near decent is that small one in the Village (that has some sort of ramp at the back).

Hopefully if they do build a WoD store then it could have a proper Disneyana enclave.

Walt Disney