• Banned User

Guernsey, Channel Islands, United Kingdom

Malin's Christmas DLRP Trip Report, including pics

Disneyland Resort Paris Trip Report
    27th of November until the 1st of December 2008

Day 1

Arriving back from Orlando on my Virgin Atlantic flight to London Gatwick around 7.00 am in the morning. I collected my luggage and headed straight to the Coach Station to get a National Express Coach over to Heathrow Airport. Transfer time took about an hour. As I would be flying with British Airways, I stopped off and Terminal 5 the newest Terminal building at Heathrow and earlier this year that was at the centre of major criticism, due to loosing thousands of bags on its opening week. I checked in using one of the DIY check in booths, but was unable to check my bags in until 2 hours before the flight.

So just sitting around I brought a few magazines and a copy of the Express newspaper from WH Smith and purchased a Sausage Sandwich in some cafť. The building while an improvement on some of the pre existing buildings at Heathrow like Terminal 3, still did not blow me away, and I have seen much better Airport Terminals in parts of Asia. Finally I was allowed to check in luggage and go though to the departure gate. Terminal 5 is also home to Gordon Ramsay’s latest Restaurant, so perhaps worth checking out if you have time.

The flight was late leaving due to ground staff checking in someone who due to an injury was unfit to fly, but argued his case. Finally leaving 25 mins late we had a short 40 min flight landing at CDG Airport around 16.00 pm. I was planning to catch the VEA Shuttle to the Santa Fe, but could not see any signs for it, so with little interest to start looking, I just got a train instead, which took 10 mins. Arriving at the station I walked over to a bus, which took me directly over to the Santa Fe. Check in was easy with no queue and I was given my pack with room key, and park tickets. The Castmember than spent a few minutes with me going over the basics like extra hours, before pointing out the hotel room. I took a good 10 minutes trying to find it to no luck so ended up going back to reception. The Castmember got his jacket and came out with me to look, and it turned out I had misread his 1 for a 7. This Castmember than made sure I got in the room alright and felt I didn’t have enough light in the room and insisted he would get maintenance on to it right away. Before leaving he pointed out that the park had a special parade on tonight not to be missed. Of course he was talking about the Fantaillusion parade and so I grabbed my camera and made my way to a coach that by luck had just turned up.

Reaching the gates around 6.00 pm I could hear the Enchanted Candlebration ceremony so ran up to the top of Main Street to see the show. Fantastic show featuring a number of good lighting effects including the Castle looking its best for the holiday season.

After the show I popped into Coke Corner to buy a foot long Hot Dog which DLRP still sell unlike the Magic Kingdom, in fact on the whole the cuisine at DLRP despite my heavy criticism in the past, is still much better than the crap served up at WDW most of the time. And at least DLRP has yet again improved on the selection since my last trip. Including selling the Mickey Shaped burgers that were made famous by TDR.

Checking out all the decorations I noticed people were starting to find places for the Parade, so after following the advice of board members I decided to see it from the Castle area. While waiting it suddenly hit me on how cold it was at the park, compare to Orlando whose climate I was a bit more used to, after having just spent 10 nights there.

Also interesting to note was just how lite the crowds appeared to be tonight, a good alternative to what I witnessed on the Weekend. This was my first experience seeing Fantaillusion which I actually enjoyed quite a bit. Much better than Spectromagic, with the floats being far more advanced from a technical stand point and larger in scale. That’s not to say I don’t like Spectromagic either but I felt Fantaillusion was a better parade, I only wished I had a chance to see the full version that played out in Tokyo.

Leaving the park I really could not be bothered with the Village so waited
    about 10-15 minutes to get on a over crowded bus back to the Santa Fe, before heading to the room to sleep. The time difference between Europe and the US can be a killer for a traveller.
    Last edited by Malin; 12-12-2008 at 01:58 PM.

• He Gets The Job Done

Blog Entries

Re: Malin's Christmas DLRP Trip Report, including pics

awesome TR!

To me for some reason, the parade looks like something you would see for like a 4th of July parade or something in your neighborhood, but maybe since the pictures were taken with flash it took away from the floats...

great photos, btw!

• is satisfactual.

Nice report, Malin.

Quote Originally Posted by Kritter View Post
    To me for some reason, the parade looks like something you would see for like a 4th of July parade or something in your neighborhood, but maybe since the pictures were taken with flash it took away from the floats...
    Yes, the Electrical Parade and SpectroMagic look similarly craptastic in flash photographs. But then again, who doesn't!

Fantillusion's floats are fine. It's the pacing that kills it.

• Membre

Great TR! Thanks.
    I love Fantillusion!

• Senior Minion

Quote Originally Posted by pussnboots View Post

Yes, the Electrical Parade and SpectroMagic look similarly craptastic in flash photographs. But then again, who doesn't!
    Speak for yourself, cheeky!

I hope that there is more TR to come... soon!
    WDW - 1987 & 1991
    DLP - 1996, 2004, 2006 & 2007
    DLR - October 2011

• Banned User

Thanks guys, nothing will ever do Fantaillusion or any other parade justice like seeing it in person. It also doesn't help the size format being so big.

By the way I forgot to mention on the 27th of November as I was waiting for a bus to the Santa Fe, a series of fireworks could be seen from one of the parks. Anyone know what that was all about?

• Gt Big Beautiful Tomorrow

Look forward to reading more. And yes indeed, overall I feel the food is better at DLP than WDW. Glad you got a castle perch, this is the best spot for Fanti. I love the tech, but personally prefer Spectro and especially MSEP. Fanti seems to have no soul or sense of fun to me.
    Let's put the Walt back in Disney!

• Senior Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Malin View Post

By the way I forgot to mention on the 27th of November as I was waiting for a bus to the Santa Fe, a series of fireworks could be seen from one of the parks. Anyone know what that was all about?
    It was heralding your presence of course Malin!
    WDW - 1987 & 1991
    DLP - 1996, 2004, 2006 & 2007
    DLR - October 2011

• Banned User

Nice trip report Malin, especially since your visit to WDW was not as magical as it should have been. I love seeing pics from Fantillusion, but still feel they got robbed when they sent it to Paris.
    I am interested in reading your opinions from DLP in regards to cleanliness, crowd control, overall maintenance in and outside the attractions..etc etc.

• Banned User

I am interested in reading your opinions from DLP in regards to cleanliness, crowd control, overall maintenance in and outside the attractions..etc etc
    That will be coming up TDLFAN, apologies about the first post being a bit light on opinions, but I needed to start somewhere. Also planning to continue the WDW trip Report. And just to clear up, no ofense was taken to your original comments from me.

• hatbox ghost believer

Great TR & piccies! Can't wait to read & see more!
    Jon A. Leslie
    nojarama
    http://www.nojarama.com

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by Malin View Post
    That will be coming up TDLFAN, apologies about the first post being a bit light on opinions, but I needed to start somewhere. Also planning to continue the WDW trip Report. And just to clear up, no ofense was taken to your original comments from me.
    I have no idea what you are talking about.

• Looking for Hidden Mickey

Nice pictures!
    Check out my page at www.myspace.com/wheresmickey

Check out my pin collection at www.pinpics.com. User name is WheresMickey