Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

• Senior Minion

Re: Why didn't DLP never get a Splash Mountain?

Quote Originally Posted by pussnboots View Post
    The ride is expensive, the movie is obscure, the theme is unfit for merchandise...

Every time I read arguments like this, I can't help but think that once upon a time, when these points were every bit as true as they are now, Disney somehow still thought it would be a good idea to build the ride. And somehow it was a huge hit.

But of course it would be more efficient to just build a box with a sign above it reading, "Leave money in box. Have a magical day in the stuff we built before we lost our minds."
    Yes but please remeber the original reason for using SotS as a theme - a load of excess AAs from America Sings which resembled SotS animals.
    WDW - 1987 & 1991
    DLP - 1996, 2004, 2006 & 2007
    DLR - October 2011

• is satisfactual.

Quote Originally Posted by nathan detroit View Post
    Yes but please remeber the original reason for using SotS as a theme - a load of excess AAs from America Sings which resembled SotS animals.
    True, but the Magic Kingdom didn't have that luxury, yet history repeated itself there. Same for Tokyo, which apparently spooned an extra layer of lavishness on top of its version, but then that's Tokyo. I just mean that we've all become so used to this concept of "if it isn't Pixar or Princess-related, it's simply unfeasible" that we forget that things don't have to be this way and haven't always been this way.

Surely there was something more popular in 1989 to use those animatronic ducks for. I don't know; Driving Miss Daisy could have made one heck of a ride, haha. Yet they picked a controversial old movie no one had heard of. It's something to think about.

• враг народа

Blog Entries

A lot of the unnamed animals in Splash Mountain are never really even seen in Song of the South. They made for nice filler.

Honestly, I am very glad that Disneyland Paris does not have Splash Mountain. The attraction's presence in Frontierland at the Magic Kingdom completely throws off the wonderful geographic chronology that was presented. There is nothing about Frontierland at Disneyland Paris that would mesh well with Splash Mountain's briar patch and Georgia red clay.

• Senior Minion

Quote Originally Posted by pussnboots View Post
    True, but the Magic Kingdom didn't have that luxury, yet history repeated itself there. Same for Tokyo, which apparently spooned an extra layer of lavishness on top of its version, but then that's Tokyo. I just mean that we've all become so used to this concept of "if it isn't Pixar or Princess-related, it's simply unfeasible" that we forget that things don't have to be this way and haven't always been this way.

Surely there was something more popular in 1989 to use those animatronic ducks for. I don't know; Driving Miss Daisy could have made one heck of a ride, haha. Yet they picked a controversial old movie no one had heard of. It's something to think about.
    But does it not show that Disney stumble upon success and them repeatedly return to the same well for water? That to me shows that they either a) like to find a winning formula and use it to its full advantage or b) are scared to stray from a tried and tested path.
    DLs Splash was a genius idea in retrospect but I would bet that a good few execs were very nervous about it before it opened. Was anyone nervous about the subsequent versions?
    I am rather cynical about this - the risk they took in choosing SotS was surely more than covered by the amount of money they saved on AAs.
    WDW - 1987 & 1991
    DLR - October 2011

• Gt Big Beautiful Tomorrow

Quote Originally Posted by lazyboy97O View Post
    There is nothing about Frontierland at Disneyland Paris that would mesh well with Splash Mountain's briar patch and Georgia red clay.
    That's not true. The barn of Cowboy cookout BBQ and the Cottonwood Creek Ranch were built from day 1 to blend the theme.
    Let's put the Walt back in Disney!

• Fleeting Inspiration

Quote Originally Posted by lazyboy97O View Post
    A lot of the unnamed animals in Splash Mountain are never really even seen in Song of the South. They made for nice filler.

Honestly, I am very glad that Disneyland Paris does not have Splash Mountain. The attraction's presence in Frontierland at the Magic Kingdom completely throws off the wonderful geographic chronology that was presented. There is nothing about Frontierland at Disneyland Paris that would mesh well with Splash Mountain's briar patch and Georgia red clay.
    I completely agree. While I haven't experienced it personally, I feel that the entire land works together to tell a complete and intricate story. I personally feel that is one of the great Imagineering achievements of our time, and we don't need Song of the South mucking it up.

For Splash to fit in DLP, one of three things would have to happen:

A. It's put somewhere on the edge of Fantasyland. I personally don't favor this, as the tone and look doesn't really fit there either.

B. A separate Critter Country is created to shield Fontierland's theme.

C. An entirely new concept for a flume attraction is created that both fits and enhances the theme of the land it's put in. This is my pick. The Thunder Mesa mythology could present some interesting ideas for a log flume, but I would personally love to see an Adventureland concept, perhaps based on Jungle Book or maybe even Indy somehow. I'm just envisioning a great jungle peak, with Hindi temple ruins built into the side.

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Super Duper!

Well, I know Tokyo's boats were re-designed at some point, to splash less than they originally did. So, I have every faith Disney could do something similar in Paris, where you'd get a little wet, but nothing too bad.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by dland_lover View Post
    Well, I know Tokyo's boats were re-designed at some point, to splash less than they originally did. So, I have every faith Disney could do something similar in Paris, where you'd get a little wet, but nothing too bad.
    As far as it was explained to me, it's not the boats that were redesigned, but the height of the water at the bottom of the big drop. Lower water levels means less splashing during winter months and viceversa during summer.. Now considering how much water they dump on guests during the summer castle shows (Cool the Heat), it's amazing theyhave not turned up the splash effect at the ride in TDL. But I do appreciate them keeping that aspect of the ride in check as I prefer not to get soaked.

In regards to Paris... well, visiting the park in winter and seeing most fountains and waterfalls either turned off for the season or frozen solid, it only explains to me why Splash Mountain would not be a good addition to the park, or could be an operational nightmare and expense during the winter months. But I am only guessing on this.

• Not here to help

What is wrong with Song of the south?
    Splash Mountain is my favorite ride second to Journey to the centre of the earth. They could make a Splash Mountain with Pooh theming... that way nobody would get upset from whatever makes them upset.

• Minion

....OR finally build Western River Expedition, which would fit perfectly with the theming of the rest of Frontierland, certainly more so than a bunch of critters. If they did that, I would be hopping on a plane to Paris in a heartbeat.
    Down with the Hat

• is satisfactual.

Quote Originally Posted by kaliwolf View Post
    I completely agree. While I haven't experienced it personally, I feel that the entire land works together to tell a complete and intricate story. I personally feel that is one of the great Imagineering achievements of our time, and we don't need Song of the South mucking it up.

For Splash to fit in DLP, one of three things would have to happen:

A. It's put somewhere on the edge of Fantasyland. I personally don't favor this, as the tone and look doesn't really fit there either.

B. A separate Critter Country is created to shield Fontierland's theme.

C. An entirely new concept for a flume attraction is created that both fits and enhances the theme of the land it's put in. This is my pick. The Thunder Mesa mythology could present some interesting ideas for a log flume, but I would personally love to see an Adventureland concept, perhaps based on Jungle Book or maybe even Indy somehow. I'm just envisioning a great jungle peak, with Hindi temple ruins built into the side.
    Well, I don't want to get all hoity-toity and patronizing here... But when you do experience it, you'll find that the land is huge; so huge that the ride could easily be built in the planned Frontierland Depot location without interfering with the Thunder Mesa area. Which, as some may not realize, does not encompass the entire land.

Also, as Dave said, they even made sure to build buffer buildings to smoothen the transition. If they do build Splash there, it will not only be inoffensive but something those genius Imagineers you speak of had planned in the first place. Nothing would have to be sacrificed, a half-finished area would just finally come into its own.

Adventureland manages to cram far more and more diverse themes into far less space, and no one ever complains that you can kick a can from India to the Caribbean.

• Gt Big Beautiful Tomorrow

Quote Originally Posted by tasman View Post
    ....OR finally build Western River Expedition, which would fit perfectly with the theming of the rest of Frontierland, certainly more so than a bunch of critters. If they did that, I would be hopping on a plane to Paris in a heartbeat.
    They already have kind of. Much of the last scene in Phantom Manor was taken from the concept art from WRE.
    Let's put the Walt back in Disney!

• jeffrey

The cold weather? The cost? The racist undertones? Who knows!

Racist undertones...the French hate everybody!

I happen to be half French so don't hate at me for that.

• Senior Minion

Quote Originally Posted by richboi117 View Post
    Racist undertones...the French hate everybody!

I happen to be half French so don't hate at me for that.
    So does that mean that you hate a half of everybody or only hate half of the world's population? These questions need to be answered!
    WDW - 1987 & 1991
    DLR - October 2011

• Disneyland Paris Fan

Quote Originally Posted by TDLFAN View Post
    In regards to Paris... well, visiting the park in winter and seeing most fountains and waterfalls either turned off for the season or frozen solid, it only explains to me why Splash Mountain would not be a good addition to the park, or could be an operational nightmare and expense during the winter months. But I am only guessing on this.
    Paris rarely gets this cold IMO, to make waterfalls and fountains solid frozen. But yeah, it possibly could happen. Is this a problem in TDL?

I think Splash would be a great addition. And would surely not stand out in Frontierland. There is more than enough space to make it blend in perfectly.

And indeed; the movie SoS is not very known in Europe, but the characters (like Brer Rabbit) are very well known. At least here in the Netherlands. In our comic magazine 'Donald Duck' there are very often stories published which feature Brer Rabbit. So the characters would be very recognisable.

And although every little theme-park in Europe has a log-flume-ride, thwey still are very, very popular. With the great Disney-theming I can only imagine the succes it will have!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast