Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

• Sock Puppet

Why didn't DLP never get a Splash Mountain?

Do you know why DLP never got a splash mountain? Did it cost too much money to build or was disney being cheap and didn't want to build it?

• Senior Minion

Re: Why didn't DLP never get a Splash Mountain?

Ah, I thought it was about time Splash raised its ugly head on this forum again!

The cold weather? The cost? The racist undertones? Who knows!
    WDW - 1987 & 1991
    DLP - 1996, 2004, 2006 & 2007
    DLR - October 2011

• Banned User

Guernsey, Channel Islands, United Kingdom

I think the intentions were always to build a Splash Mountain type attraction but the plans never made it of the drawing board thanks to the financial worries at the time. I had heard it was intended to be built on that piece of land/island next to Big Thunder. Its funny how on DLRP boards Splash Mountain always comes up in threads but nothing is ever said for the Jungle Cruise.

• Diamond In The Rough

Quote Originally Posted by Malin View Post
    Its funny how on DLRP boards Splash Mountain always comes up in threads but nothing is ever said for the Jungle Cruise.
    As much as I love Splash Mountain, I don't know if it should be a priority for DLRP - it's too reliant on good weather and the Song Of The South theme probably wouldn't travel very well.

I can get behind a Jungle Cruise though (all that space over by Temple Of Peril should be put to good use),
    but that brings the problem of how you produce an attraction so dependent on Skipper-spiel in a multi-language resort.
    Something has to go on the proposed Splash site (is that where Pocahontas' playground sits currently?),
    but I don't think Frontierland necessarily needs another mountain.

Maybe the Imagineers will surprise us all with some awesome DLRP-exclusive, first-of-it's-kind...
    Last edited by PeaJay18; 12-13-2008 at 07:21 AM. Reason: spacing and punctuation

"I'm gettin' kind of fond of you, kid.
    Not that I want to pick out curtains or anything."

• Gt Big Beautiful Tomorrow

Splash Mountain was officially designed for the area near the trainstation/Cottonwood Creek Ranch (I have seen the blueprints).

The Jungle Cruise was never in the masterplan (hence the tribute near Col. Haithi's). Between the language, the weather and the main reason is during DLP's planning, there were several copies across Europe knicking some of the same scenes even (Phantasialand Germany, Drayton Manor in the UK etc.). The area near Indy originally had an EMV attraction set in the Jungle Planned, there were even talks of another Indy or Dinosaur.

Personally I would rather have Splash than Indy, but Indy EMV attractions are more appropriate for the European weather, and there is nothing like it in Europe.
    Let's put the Walt back in Disney!

• is satisfactual.

I am unable to talk about this subject without sounding A. like I'm repeating myself and B. like one of those blissfully unaware mental institution runaways you always see auditioning for American Idol, but here we go. I just think that while Indy is a great, thrilling ride, it's things like Splash Mountain that have you grinning like an idiot when you leave the park at night. You can spend an eternity weighing the pros and cons of every little detail, but at the end of the day Disneyland Paris is a park that lacks that Disneyest of Disney experiences and that is a darn shame.
    Last edited by pussnboots; 12-13-2008 at 11:03 AM. Reason: Grammar

• Beach Expert

A beach town that Harbor Blvd was named after

Quote Originally Posted by pussnboots View Post
    You can spend an eternity weighing the pros and cons of every little detail, but at the end of the day Disneyland Paris is a park that lacks that Disneyest of Disney experiences and that is a darn shame.
    I must respectfully disagree with that. The Disneyest of Disney experiences is the Disneyland Railroad at the DLR. Walt's love of trains is one of the catalysts that got him to build Disneyland in the first place. Without that attraction, Disneyland would never have never been built, and therefore DLP would never have been built either.

Although Splash Mountain is a darned good ride!

• Gt Big Beautiful Tomorrow

I just think that while Indy is a great, thrilling ride, it's things like Splash Mountain that have you leave the park at night grinning like an idiot. You can spend an eternity weighing the pros and cons of every little detail, but at the end of the day Disneyland Paris is a park that lacks that Disneyest of Disney experiences and that is a darn shame.
    Absolutely, I love Splash Mountain. And the fact Song of the South is unknown in Europe is superfulous, there are very few Americans who know the story as well.
    Let's put the Walt back in Disney!

• is satisfactual.

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyIPresume View Post
    I must respectfully disagree with that. The Disneyest of Disney experiences is the Disneyland Railroad at the DLR. Walt's love of trains is one of the catalysts that got him to build Disneyland in the first place. Without that attraction, Disneyland would never have never been built, and therefore DLP would never have been built either.

Although Splash Mountain is a darned good ride!
    I didn't say it was the Disneyest of Disney experiences, but that it was "that Disneyest of Disney experiences," as when you say, "it was that most magical of evenings" or "that most pompous of literary clichés."

It's just one of those rides that embodies that intangible, hard-to-describe, old-fashioned Disneyness we all love. Although it might not have that effect on everyone...

(Otherwise you'd probably be right.)

Quote Originally Posted by davewasbaloo View Post
    Absolutely, I love Splash Mountain. And the fact Song of the South is unknown in Europe is superfulous, there are very few Americans who know the story as well.
    Exactly. How many people who don't understand a word of English — let alone saw an obscure old movie — slide down Chickapin Hill every day and have a blast?

• i heart plunging v-necks

it's things like Splash Mountain that have you grinning like an idiot when you leave the park at night.
    hence the avatar

last time i buy crystal ball from pic n save!

• Waiting for my E-Ticket

Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota

Quote Originally Posted by nathan detroit View Post
    Ah, I thought it was about time Splash raised its ugly head on this forum again!

The cold weather? The cost? The racist undertones? Who knows!
    I don't think the weather has anything to do with it. Tokyo has Splash Mountain and they get snow in the winter there too.

• Banned User

I think it's just too late to build a Splash Mountain for the park. Log Flumes are rarely built nowadays, the cost would be huge, and there wouldn't be a surge of profit from merchandise. I think, if DLP were to ever get a Splash Mountain, it wouldn't be themed to Song of the South.

• is satisfactual.

Quote Originally Posted by stitchon View Post
    I think it's just too late to build a Splash Mountain for the park. Log Flumes are rarely built nowadays, the cost would be huge, and there wouldn't be a surge of profit from merchandise. I think, if DLP were to ever get a Splash Mountain, it wouldn't be themed to Song of the South.
    The ride is expensive, the movie is obscure, the theme is unfit for merchandise...

Every time I read arguments like this, I can't help but think that once upon a time, when these points were every bit as true as they are now, Disney somehow still thought it would be a good idea to build the ride. And somehow it was a huge hit.

But of course it would be more efficient to just build a box with a sign above it reading, "Leave money in box. Have a magical day in the stuff we built before we lost our minds."

• Senior Minion

Quote Originally Posted by davewasbaloo View Post
    The movie SotS may be unknown in Europe (a point I would actually disagree) but the characters are probably more recognisable to a European audience than an American one due to their continued frequent appearances in the European comics*. It is true though that the story matters not a jot and its the ride and the theming that counts (remember that when POTC and Pm were built in DLP there were no movie tie-ins, why should Splash be any different?)

*Very familiar territory here isn't it?!
    WDW - 1987 & 1991
    DLP - 1996, 2004, 2006 & 2007
    DLR - October 2011

• Animation Domination

Maybe people at Europe just don't like to get wet.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast